“Colorful, cool and friendly”

Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North
Ranked #16 of 42 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Lodi, Ca
“Colorful, cool and friendly”
Reviewed 8 March 2012

My wife and I were guests at the hotel for three nights. A funky and colorful decor that grows on you. The staff was very friendly, helpful and professional. Our room was at the end of hotel over looking the pool - nice size and very quiet and clean. Parking was both plentiful and free!! Wifi the same - free. The restaurant/bar in the lobby served a tasty breakfast fair and the drinks were reasonably priced. Great location - close to the pier, shopping and restaurants and the Chihuly collection. Very nice lobby and porch/veranda area for relaxing. A fun place to stay - we would definitely stay again at the Indigo. It is an older property - some bruises but worth it!

Room Tip: Room 239 - king bed, quiet - over looking small pool
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
Palm Harbor, Florida
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My husband and I live in the Tampa Bay area but wanted to stay one night in downtown St. Pete to see a concert, bar hop, etc. We chose the Indigo because of its location and price. It was the perfect place to stay to enjoy the nightlife of downtown without having to get in your car and drive. We walked to Jannus Live for a concert, dinner, and a couple of bars. Everything you would want to do is a 5 min. walk away. The hotel itself was comfortable and clean. Rooms are small, especially the bathrooms, but well appointed. It's the perfect place to stay for a fun night out downtown.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
Nokomis, Florida
Reviewed 20 February 2012

We enjoyed our stay here! Pretty seating in front of the hotel to chill out. Nice lobby area. Rooms clean & quite attractive. Staff friendly. The previous comments re. smelly or dirty rooms did NOT apply to our experience at all. GREAT location to walk to everything.

There's no seating out in nature nor a courtyard ... the hotel is surrounded by their parking lot. Also - no complimentary breakfast. So - if That's part of your ideal experience - consider elsewhere. ... We enjoyed it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed 15 February 2012

I was there for 4 days on a business trip/seminar. The entire staff was very nice. Unfortunately, they are stuck in a horrible place. I do understand historic, but this place is scary. First, the elevator is so ancient, you expect to see the grated doors and pulleys. There are only 3 floors in the hotel. The elevator will only accept one "command" at a time. I know this sounds crazy, but you cannot push the button for floors 2 and 3 at the same time. Whoever gets in first gets to pick. Only after it lands on that floor, can you select another one. If you are on 2, you usually have to go up to 3 and come back. Oh- and it jumps and bumps when it stops. You are not really sure if it is going to drop all the way or not. Only thrillseekers need ride!
There is NO soundproofing at all in the entire building. I repeat- none. You can hear everything above, below, on both sides and down the entire hallway at all times. Of course the room doors have a half inch crack so the light comes in at night, plus every noise.
The bathrooms are so small that it is very difficult to get in, turn around and then try to shut the door. Very large people would not be able to do that. There is no storage space in the bathroom. Fortunately, I had a cosmetic bag with a strap to hang it on the bathroom door. The shower is half the size of a regular bathtub and the water pressure is poor. There is a grinding (not kidding) fan that is attached to the light. If you are in a double room and get up to use the bathroom, you will wake everybody in the room and on both sides of you.
There is no real restaurant, and believe me, you would not want one. We had to eat several meals in the conference room. They were horrible. Apparently the only thing they know how to fix is the standard rubber chicken. They just put a different color sauce over it each time. It is chewy and tasteless. They do have a lobby bar that was out of wine, beer, and most other types of alcohol. I felt so bad for the bartender. He kept saying- we hope to get an order in this week.
If you are elderly or handicapped, you need a room on the first floor. Even with the elevator, the rooms on the third floor have steps- right after you get off the elevator. Weird, but true.
The A/C does not work properly. Either you can hang meat, or you need a personal fan. There is no inbetween. The thermostats are rinky dink rigged and mounted. I can't really explain in, but they don't really work.
I would not stay here again under any circumstances. As I said, the staff was very nice and tried to help, but there is no saving this one. It is billed as a botique hotel, but it is a Holiday Inn property. It looks like this one needs a vacation of its own.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank JulieKJ
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
JulieKJ,

First of all, thank you very much for your recent stay at the Hotel Indigo St. Petersburg, FL. I am so sorry to see you did not enjoy your overall experience with us. We’d like to obtain some additional detail regarding your experience so we have sent you a private message. We hope to have the honor of serving you again should your travels bring you back to St. Petersberg.

Ben J
IHG Care
Fort Myers
Reviewed 12 February 2012

I have stayed here several times and love the location and conteporary decor. Bathrooms are pretty small due to the fact the building is a historic site. But the rooms are clean and comfortable. The location can't be beat as it is an easy walk to all that the downtown has to offer which is allot on Friday and Saturday. Close to Tropicana for catching a Rays baseball game too, but take a cab. The staff was friendly and we will be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a larger bath as somm rooms have tiny bathrooms.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 11 February 2012

After wanting to cancel my reservation due to poor reviews on this site, I called and spoke to a very rude woman named Nicole, who did absolutely nothing to help me. She said I had paid in full and could not be refunded in anyway. When I asked why, she gave no reason. I guess I have to stay here, and it better be worth it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Case Manager at Hotel Indigo St Petersburg Downtown North, responded to this review, 13 February 2012
Dear modernclassic13,

Thank you for your review.

We have recently implemented a new pricing structure that allows us the opportunity to offer deeper discounts to our customers. In order to offer these rates we must attach restrictions such as cancellation fees or full prepayment. Some of our lowest discounted rates carry full prepayment requirements while others carry a cancellation fee.

If rooms are available for your travel date, we will always offer the option of booking either restrictive (with cancellation/prepayment requirements) or non-restrictive (can be changed and cancelled without penalty) rates. This will allow you more flexibility in making your specific travel arrangements. For example: if you are certain about your travel plans, the restricted rate will be a consideration, whereas if your travel plans are less definite the unrestricted rate may better meet your needs.

It is certainly not our intent to inconvenience our valued customers, but to instead offer options that make sense. We always appreciate comments from our guests, and we will use this feedback in making decisions about our future pricing strategies.

^Katie J
Case Manager
IHGCare
Tampa, Florida, United States
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I was originally given room 111. When I was looking over the bed, I noticed that there was an earring in the pillow case. After about 15 minutes of asking, the girl at the front desk finally came and changed my sheets. I started to unpack and found that I had to share my stale, musty room with little bugs slightly larger than gnats. I killed a few (about 10) and eventually was so disgusted I went back to the front desk. They gave me a different room that was clean, smelled fresh and had no other residents in it. The woman at the desk explained that the general manager was at a conference and the staff was not working as a result. I DO NOT recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Find a different hotel. Seriously.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business