“Disgusting really!!!!”

Ponce De Leon Hotel
Ranked #26 of 43 Hotels in St. Petersburg
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I booked this hotel as a gift for my mom along with tickets to the mahaffey theatre.Had never visited downtown St.Petersburg before.The hotel reeks of mold and looks nothing like the pictures online.Staff was rude and most of the time outside the door smoking cigarettes.DIRTY ROOMS,filthy carpets.We decide to stay as we planned on spending most of our time outside the room.Getting ready to go out and mom couldn't get any hot water the pressure was a slight drizzle,bed had springs sticking out.We had a great time in downtown St.Pete but did not want to return to our room totally gross the smell of mold also permeates the Ceviche restaurant I will never eat there ewwww...love the Clearwater and Tampa Ceviches though.We are going to book all our stays at the Hampton Inn AND SUITES BEHIND THIS HOTEL........it is only 20 more dollars a night but well worth it clean bright friendly......no way never again

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank laurag327

Reviewed 4 April 2012

This old gem of a property is located very close to the water in beautiful downtown St. Petersburg, FL. Everything else about it is terrible.

The tiles in the bathroom were cracked and covered with mildew (the pink stuff that comes off when you clean your shower). In addition, the bottom of my feet were black from walking barefoot in the room.

When I checked out, I had a question about the amount I was charged for the room. The clerk behind the front desk responded by shaking the paper in my face that had the amount of the room on it. He then said something to the effect of "you signed it D-head". This was completely unprovoked and out of nowhere. I think the guy may have been having a bad day or something. My wife called the manager to let them know who responded that the owner would call her back so she could relay this story to him and he could take action. The owner has yet to respond. I will update this review if he does.

As an aside (since this does not apply to me), I do not remember there being handicapped rails in the bath. The bottom of the bath tub had neither a bath mat or texture to keep me from slipping. While I would strongly advise anyone to not stay this hotel, this advice especially applies to handicapped people, who may need the rails, a little more space and a less slippery tub.

Room Tip: Don't stay here.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Jville_12
Reviewed 30 March 2012

If you want something out of the ordinary, something with a european flare and convience at a very fair price you will love the Ponce De Leon in St. Pete. My room was right across from the elevator and I had no noise issues as some reviews mentioned. I had a glimpse of the ocean. Parking is available only a block a away at a garage or lot. Yes it costs a few bucks but you are downtown! The hotel is art deco and reminds me of the hotels in South beach, Miami. The rooms are small but adequate for one or two people.Two resturants are on either side of the hotel both are great and I did not notice any odor from them as mentioned by some reviewers. The staff was fantastic! I will be back!

Room Tip: 510 has a glimpse of the ocean/bay
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 March 2012

Where to start????? I travel a lot, I’m from Europe and I’m use to going from hotel to hotel. I can assure you that I’ve been treated as good as I was treated here in very few places, 5 star hotels included. Yes, this is not a 5 star hotel but it is as great in many aspects, especially on the customer service part. I had a small problem and needed to change rooms, the owner (who is a great guy) helped me personally. Making sure that all guest are happy is the important thing for them. The hotel is very clean, perfectly located. At the end of the day……great price for a great hotel. A+ for the owner.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Wanted to stay in the "ponce" because we eat at Ceviches and always thought it would be nice to stay. Wife deposited month and a half ago in January for my birthday weekend and grad prix. Arrived Friday afternoon and we were given a room on the second floor with a wonderful view of the back side of the Hampton inn. Two large AC units outside the window for the restaurant going all day and night. Through the wall AC not in service so they installed a window unit which ran day and night, did I mention the 2 AC units outside the window?? The bathroom sink was at the end of the bed in the room next to an Ikea desk with extremely sharp ends on it. The toilet and shower are on the other side of the room in a 4x6 space. Very quaint except if you want to wash, brush or whatever. Pillows on bed were approximately 1" thick and were past service life 3 years ago, when I asked for another couple pillows I got the excuse that the hotel was booked and didn't have anymore. I slept on the thin pillow with the decorative pillow underneath. And to think all for 225 a night.
Holiday inn express not only gives the best service they even ask if they can do anything else and that's at 100 a night. when we went to check out they not only had taken the deposit they charged the whole thing to our card again. Did I mention the front desk clerk eating dinner at the desk and talking to us with food running down his cheek.
Would I stay there again or recommend them ? Yes if it burns down and Holiday Inn builds a new place.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 March 2012

I chose this hotel for the location and price. I thought that the reviews depicted the rooms accurately. It is an old historic hotel so we were pretty sure what to expect. It is strategically located downtown and we could walk everywhere. The front desk people were a little aloof (not really into customer service) but for us it was ok. Our room was a little short on ammenities (no cups,coffee and the ice bucket was not cleaned from the previous occupant).
My husband went out for coffee in the morning and asked for directions. The front desk person was pretty vague about were to go and then locked my husband out. Overall though I would stay there again if location is important

Room Tip: Our corner room on the fourth floor was spacious with a great view
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 March 2012

We stayed here during the Honda Grand Prix. The race was literally right outside our room and I assume that it is the same way with any big event downtown. So if you're looking for a nice quiet hotel away from it all this is not it. We loved it though. The decor is very charming similar to many small hotels in France and the local art hung around adds a special touch. For a place in the center of downtown town the price I'd good too.

• Stayed: March 2012