“Stay Away”

Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: View
Dining options: After-hours, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 4, 2018

First let me say that Fish Tales has a great & friendly staff and a nice location.
Now, when you pull in amongst the marina industrial neighborhood and see the thatched roof fish camp style joint....and you think this is going to be a great joint or a big disappointment.
We entered and sat at the bar until our other friends showed up. Had a nice cold beer and a margarita for the wife...I ordered a dish of steam clams.
Clams were fresh and tasty. So far so good.
Our friends arrived and 11 of us took seat and ordered drinks and then meals.
I tried the seafood chowder...a tomato based purée bits of seafood stuff...OK flavor.
For dinner I had the fish n chips...I was told it was a North Atlantic White Fish...NOT!
Not even close. I swear it was tilapia or something close. I’m from Boston and I know fish.
I couldn’t eat the fish, Bayer was too thick and fish mushy with little taste. Fries were good....cole slaw wet runny and no taste at all. My meal was a failure.
The were fish tacos, crab legs, sea food pot and most everyone ate most of their meals.
Here is the real killer.....as I sat looking at our table of guests something caught my eye on the rafter above....I counted 5 rats running on the beam above our table.
This where my review will end. Big Disappointment .....Enough said

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Nice spot for a relaxing meal..on the water. The food was good, service a bit slow so don’t go for a quick meal. I had a very nice NE clam chowder and half pound of shrimp.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed February 16, 2018 via mobile

Went to Fish Tales with friends from work for lunch and ended up having to pay back over an hour of time back bc our food arrived 40 minutes after ordering. I'll never go back.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed February 9, 2018

We visited on a Tuesday night, with a party of 5. Our first confusion was the parking. There were "tow away" signs everywhere, but with no comment if the parking was actually for the restaurant. Turned out it was.

The restaurant is very casual, a great place to enjoy a meal with friends, and is pet friendly.

Service was challenged. The first two beers came right away. The next two, both drafts, took about 15 minutes, followed by our final beer. Our food order took at least 45 minutes.They were, at best, understaffed, with one waiter and one bartender. In all, from our first drink until we finished the meal was some 2 hr 45 mins.

Our food was delivered without utensils, but I was able to find them at the waiter station.The food was very good. I got a fried seafood platter with fish, scallops and shrimp, and would get this dish again next time. They had a varied selection of beers. Our waiter was very friendly, in spite of the fact we didn't see him often (but he was very busy).

Next time we are in town we will try Fish Tales again to see if we just caught them on a bad night. I hope so. The atmosphere and food deserve better.

Date of visit: February 2018
Reviewed February 7, 2018

Our party had an extremely poor experience at this establishment caused by the acting manager Rocket. Please note this is nothing against anyone else who was on staff as they shared with us the same sentiments we had in reference to her rude and unprofessional behavior and were very apologetic for her treatment. I'm a St Petersburg native and have dined at most of the local restaurants in the area, especially this one as we have frequented this location quite often even after this restaurant was closed down for dirty dining. To say we were appalled by Rocket asking us to leave AFTER we had already signed our checks is an absolute understatement. We had received mediocre service the entire night, receiving incorrect drink and food orders and not one time did we complain. We attributed the issues to it being fairly busy since the servers were very nice and attentive. Rocket stated that we would not be as loud if we were at a J. Alexander's and to that the response was you're absolutely correct, nor would we wear flip flops and jeans. None of the other patrons complained, we were 1 of 3 parties remaining and they were all shocked and surprised by her request for us to leave. Never have we ever been treated with such disdain and disrespect as and vow to never step foot on their grounds again. Not to mention how my daughter requested the Wi-Fi password and no one was able to provide it to us. We asked our server who told us to go to the bar and ask Rocket who then asked other patrons sitting at the bar before directing us back to our server who didn't know. Oh wait, what about the Christmas mug filled with coffee, coke or whatever the brown liquid was that remained on the table the entire time we were there without no one bothering to remove it. We spent way too much money on watered down drinks and subpar food to be treated in that manner. Don't waste your time here, they should be shut down permanently.

Date of visit: February 2018