“Best Beach Experience”

Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sandestin
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I stayed in the Luau Tower 1 and it was about a 5 minute walk to the beach. The one bedroom condo was wonderful and the balcony view was spectacular. The condo had a full kitchen and a stacked washer/dryer combo. There is a Publix down the road, so the kitchen saved us some money on food expenses. The pool is a saltwater pool with an island and a nice waterfall. There is also a small kiddie pool and a hot tub. Make sure you check out the observation deck on the roof. The only con to keep in mind is that if you want your sheets or towels replaced, there is an extra charge for housekeeping/towel exchange.

There is a Hard Rock Cafe and Bass Pro Shop within an outdoor mall about 20 minutes away. A must see is Eden Gardens State Park if you are big into history. It is about 25 minutes away. My family and I had a lovely picnic on the grounds of this gorgeous plantation.

I live in Florida and I've been to many beaches. This experience has pushed Siesta Key into second place.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach view.
3  Thank LisaC416
Write a ReviewReviews (1,837)

Reviewed 19 April 2012

The wait time for my room was over two hours after I arrived within check-in time. The front desk closed while I was still waiting on housekeeping (I guess) to prepare my room. In-turm making me late for my 9:00 Limo ride & parking was also horrible. The rest of the stay was great, too bad it started off wrong...

Reviewed 19 April 2012

Our trip to Sandestin was the most relaxing vacation my family has ever taken. We rode bikes and paddle boats, played putt putt, zip lined, bungy jumped on a trampoline, and when it got too warm, jumped in the one of the swimming pools. The kids absolutely loved the playground area. They have many activities going on throughout the week. We loved The Village of Baytowne Wharf’s Mini Gras and Boomin’ Tuesday night where the kids got their faces painted and played on the inflatables, then watched the awesome fireworks display.
There are so many things to do at Sandestin, you will not be bored, but it's also so relaxing that you'll leave feeling like you've actually been on vacation!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 April 2012

Although we only live 60 minutes west of Sandestin, my family has found it provides the perfect weekend escape from our work life in the Pensacola area. The grounds are impeccable, the accommodations are top notch, and the Sandestin staff always extends a fine example of (coastal) southern hospitality!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank picafam
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We spent a weekend here in a condo on the Beachside, specifically Beachwalk. "Walk" was appropriately included in the name because walk we did!. This resort is so huge it is built up on both sides of the main highway along the coast. I was told there is a walking tunnel under the highway but did not locate it. Everything important, except the beach, is on the bay side of the highway. We were staying on the beach side and might just have well have been in the next county. We had to drive to the shops and restaurants they brag about having. When we arrived, there was no parking so we had to pay for valet. We ate at Hammerheads and I got the worst seafood dish I have ever eaten in my life.

There is supposed to be a shuttle or tram or something, but for us on the beach side there was nothing. We supposedly could use a bicycle free for a couple of hours a day, but that was on the bay side of the highway so was futile to try to get there. We would have had to cross the highway on bikes to get back to our condo. It was a brisk 15 miniute walk from our condo to the beach. The beach was so crowded it took forever to walk (some more!) far enough down to spread a towel. Chair rental is outrageous. There was a pool for our Beachwalk area but it was closed. The place is just too big.

Now to the employees. No one knew anything about what they were doing. We tried to check in where we were told to check in (there are four different places to check in, depending on where your room is) but there was a sign saying it was temporarily closed so we had to drive across the highway and find the main checkin place. There was a place to park there....they wanted our money. The guy who checked us in gave us nothing but a map to find our condo. One one map and there were four adults. And this map showed only streets, not walking paths. There was nothing in the room with phone numbers for various services. Apparently there were no services. Very little information about activities available. Probably because there were no activities.

Our condo was very nice except that it was not maintained properly. Lots of burned out light bulbs. squeaking fan, no toilet paper. They said we had maid service. Every day a group of maids came at a different time. They carried no supplies with them except a few towels. They just made up the beds and left an assortment of towels. Very haphazard. We were glad to have a washer and dryer so we could clean them ourselves. Soap was provided for the washer and dishwasher the first day but not after. Coffee was also provided the first day. After that, I had to go ask for it (15 minute walk one way).

Another reviewer mentioned a large cheer competition while he was there. I was there for that competition. Parking was a disaster. He rightfully complained of not having a place to park where he was staying. The staff had no idea how to handle all the people who came to the competition, staying there or not. This resort should not book such a large event when it does not have the facilities to handle it.

Destin is a fun place to visit but there are other places to stay that are not such a challenge.

Room Tip: Don't choose a Beachwalk Condo. Too deserted and too far from everything.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Ladybug004
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My family and I LOVE the Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort. The resort is like it's own little city. Each time we visit, we find something new! You can park your car on the day you arrive and you don't get in your car again until it's time to go home! We have stayed in the Baytowne Wharf Village both times and I highly recommend it! Everything you need is within a very short walk. My 5 year old loves the Village, also. You have to go to this resort at least once! The staff is extremely pleasant, as well! I miss being there and I can't wait to go again.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank TomTom06
Reviewed 12 April 2012

Be prepared to wait for room by pool or elsewhere. While our room was ready at 5pm, early check-in scheduled for noon, many others had to wait 3-4 hours for room at Luau building #2 with regular check-in time. Room door was propped open upon arrival to room. Had to eventually go back to resort check-in (a short ride from resort hotel) to lodge complaint/concern since no one was answering phone calls from room or cell phone. Had room inspected to make sure nothing was missing. Kitchen amenities were great, no problems there. Bathroom (horrible desgin) toilet right next to tub/shower on one side and about arm's length from pedestal type sink with maybe a foot of counter space on either side. Not nearly enough to hold toiletries for family of three. Straw rectangle basket provided under sink on floor to hold your towels/toilet tissue/extra slither of soap. Door of bedroom touches bed corner and chest pullout doors that reveal drawers barely leaves room to pass by. Husband enjoyed golf at two courses (Links and Raven). Pool was great, hot tub as well. W/D in room, excellent! Did not check any other room to see if space issues were the same. For the price, I expected better restroom and bedroom setup. Son slept well on pullout. Vacationed with friends, enjoyed overall.

Room Tip: room overlooked parking lot, but had a covered deck with table and four chairs on first floor. Frie...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sandestin
2.7 km away
2.4 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Destin-Sandestin
12.5 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Destin

Been to Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort? Share your experiences!