“1st trip to Sanibel”

Ranked #20 of 20 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Reviewed 28 August 2011

Very friendly staff. We were worried that our that our 1st trip would be interupted by Huricane Irene the staff were very helpful and understanding with the possiblity of having to rescheadule. Thankfully Irene went east and had a wonderful stay here and Fancy our little dog just loved it. We will be back

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chris L
mgrsunshineislandinn, Manager at Sunshine Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2011

Thanks for your reveiw of the Sunshine Island Inn. Fancy was a perfect little guest -hope to see you all in the future.

Jean, Property Manager

Reviewed 28 August 2011

This was the second time we've stayed at this property and once again we were so pleased with our choice. We like to go on vacation with our dogs once or twice a year and the Sunshine Island Inn allows you to have pets. The rooms are older as are the furnishings, however, the place is spotless. The staff does a wonderful job keeping this property clean. They go above and beyond for you. The first night I was there, I found out I was allergic to the sheets and towels. The detergent they use was not agreeing with my skin. I asked them if there was something else and before I knew it, my room sheets were stripped off the bed, the towels taken out and a few hours later I had new linens. How awesome is that for service. I was fine the rest of the trip.

The staff told me to call them a day or two ahead of time the next time I visit and they will make sure to use a mild detergent on my linens. You can't ask for better service than that in my opinion.

The pool area is a lot of fun. Folks tend to chat with each other and you make friends real fast. The Gulf of Mexico is about a 3 minute walk away. Renting bikes on the island is easy, they deliver them to your hotel.

Sanibel is a magical island and the Sunshine Island Inn is part of the that magic. Thanks for a great experience!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank dlabrake

I appreciate the review - glad we fixed your itch problem. Hope to see you in the future.

Jean
Property Manager

Reviewed 18 July 2011

Had a great week at this little place just a step off of the beach. Pet friendly, very clean, polite staff and great value for the price. If you're looking for a nice, friendly, quiet place to relax by a great pool, I would give the Sunshine Island Inn two thumbs up.

• Stayed: July 2011
mgrsunshineislandinn, Manager at Sunshine Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 July 2011

Thanks for your review - I do my best to make sure everyone enjoys their stay.
Jean, Property Managewr

Reviewed 22 June 2011

We came back to the Sunshine Island Inn for a second time in less than a year and we were not disappointed. As always, rooms were clean and comfy and the property itself has a very homey feel. Since our last visit a new dock was completed which other guests took advantage of with their fishing boat. The inn also has a kayak available for use by the guests. They've added some really nice lounge chairs on the deck by the pool - they look custom made. Once again, Sherise and Jean showed they have the right jobs. They do a great job of makin you feel welcome. And as always - love the ability of bringing the pets. We also met some really nice people while staying there and also met some of the same people we met last year who coincidentally booked the same time as us again! It was a little reunion. I think this is part of what makes the Sunshine special -- it's small enough that you really get to know your fellow guests. Love it! Keep up the good work!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
mgrsunshineislandinn, Manager at Sunshine Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2011

Thanks for taking the time to let the world know how much you enjoyed theSunshine Island Inn. Your comments are appreciated. Hope to see you soon.
Jean

Reviewed 8 June 2011

My husband and grandson and I stayed at the Inn late May early June this year. It was a very nice place to stay, especially very clean. The pool was very well maintained and the rooms were great for our needs. The only drawback was that the bathrooms are very tiny and could use an update. Sherise and Jean were willing to please and very friendly as well as hard workers to keep the Inn in top top shape. The walk to the beach is not bad, and would be even better if the chairs and buggys were updated.. I truly enjoyed the homey atmosphere and met some very nice people while staying at the Inn. I would recommend Sunshine Island Inn.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
mgrsunshineislandinn, Manager at Sunshine Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2011

I'm glad you and your family enjoyed your stay. Hope to see you soon. Jean

Reviewed 11 April 2011

We just returned from the Sunshine Island Inn ...I wanted to stay longer. This is the place to be for total relaxation. We stayed in the Palm Cottage and had everything we needed along with beautiful warm weather, something we definitely needed after a LONG New Hampshire winter. Jean and Audrey were very helpful and assured you had everything you needed. Jean even printed our boarding passes for us since we were on a cruise to Cabbage Key the day and time they needed to be printed. When we returned, our passes were in our room. I can't say enough about this small property. We were able to view 2 manatees in the canal behind the property. Something you don't get too see up close every day. All in all we had a wonderful vacation and will definitley be back.

Room Tip: The Palm Cottage.
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kathyj922
mgrsunshineislandinn, Manager at Sunshine Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2011

Thank you for your review - I'm glad you enjoyed staying at our little piece of paradise. Hope to see you both soon. Jean

Reviewed 24 January 2011

Sanibel Island is definitely not a cheap place to vacation. Everything comes at a premium here including meals, lodging, and entertainment. The price to get on the island is a six dollar toll. There are few places like it however. Plenty of open space. Bike paths that run the length of the island. The shelling is hard to beat. No high rises and no chain restaurants. You have to pay a little bit more to enjoy these perks. If you want to find lodging at somewhat reasonable rates your choices are somewhat limited. We discovered the Sunshine Island inn here on Trip Advisor. We have been to the island a few times, but this was the first time we stayed here. They had a few openings so we did not make a reservation. We showed up on the 20th of January and got the Lighthouse suite. It had all we needed. The beds were comfortable and the room was of a decent size. The small kitchen was all we needed. It was stocked with all the basics that we needed for a short stay. It had a microwave and a small stove and refrigerator. There was plenty of hot water. The pool was just outside our sliding door but we did not go in as the temperature was on the cold side. There was also a door leading to the parking area. Outside there was a small table with chairs and an umbrella. There was an outside spigot for washing off the sand. You were provided with a bar of soap as well as some liquid handsoap at the sink area. There was liquid detergent for the kitchen. The location is on East Gulf Drive. Traffic is not a problem. To get to the beach you cross the street, walk to the right, and enter the path next to the tennis court at Sandal Foot condos. It is a very short walk to get to the beach. At low tide the shelling was very good. Make sure that your shell is not alive and does not contain any hermit crabs. When you get back to the Inn they have a shell cleaning table in the back. There is a lagoon or canal which borders the property at the back. They have constructed a new dock with a ladder. They have a kayak which you may use for free. Being a kayaker I viewed this as a tremendous perk. I took my wife out the first day we were there. If you know where you are going you can get out to San Carlos Bay which we did. We traveled down to the Causeway and then to the lighthouse. Lots to see. I used the kayak by myself for one other trip. This time I went through a lot of the canals that surround the East Gulf area. I would advise studying Google Earth to get the lay of the land before you set out in the kayak. Otherwise you can get lost in the myriad of canals. Look for landmarks whenever you make a turn so that you can spot them on your way back. When the tide is running strong as it was on my second trip you will have to work hard at some point on your trip as the water moves very fast through some choke points such as the bridges going over them. If you want to bike you will have to rent one from one of the bike shops or bring the bike with you. The rentals are not cheap.
I would definitely stay here again. If you are on a budget and don't need palatial surroundings this may be the place for you. It was for me.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
mgrsunshineislandinn, Manager at Sunshine Island Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 January 2011

Thanks for enjoying our little piece of paradise - hope to see you again