“Really enjoying our stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Sanibel Inn
Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Sanibel Island
Timmins
“Really enjoying our stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We arrived 3 hours early and they let us check in. Room was a 2 bedroom suite overlooking the gulf and pool. Carpets in living room and bedrooms were clean.

Checkin was was fast and helpful. Pool is great and clean, towels available at the pool but small so bring your own beach towels. Pool bar is where the smokers hang out but bartender friendly makes good drinks.

Overall great atmosphere here and very short walk to an awesome beach.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank mackster101

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
vermont
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

I didn't realize when I booked for a second time that we got a 10% room discount and just happened to be upgraded to a gulf view , they said new carpets, we said, who cares. Our stay was everything we (middle aged teacher and spouse from VT) could have wanted.
Room was clean and comfy, tons of pillows and we left the windows open to see the water and hear the breeze, no need for ac, the ceiling fan was enough. We had a delicious breakfast one morning at the restaurant, I even saved some for the next morning and put it in the fridge, and the pool bar/restaurant food was great: happy hour drinks were 1/2 price, the grouper sandwich, wings, home made guacamole with fresh baked chips (not fried), and burgers were as good as our other island restaurant visits. Staff, everyone, was so helpful and nice in a relaxed way...no pressure no stress, free morning paper, free bikes, free kayaks, beach right there, with a nice vibe of folks: international, sunbirds, like us, regulars, mix of ages and family types...just right, we will return. We spent most of the day walking to beach, swimming, going to pool, swimming, etc. Good for folks who want to really relax. Requests for more coffee, and an ice bucket were promptly filled. Also, it is easy to avoid traffic on Perriwinkle Dr. from this location, took a great kayak adventure to Buck Key on Captiva and biked to lighthouse, even went to shell show , early, with NO traffic, great for this time of year.

2 Thank vermontteacher
Victoria
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 March 2012

This place is definitely overrated. The room we were assigned was "partially renovated", which means it had been painted and a new TV installed. This is maintenance, not renovations. The room was large, but it looked absolutely nothing like the pictures on their website. The carpet (due to be replaced), chair and drapes were filthy. The bath/shower was very old. Unlike the photo, we did not have a dresser. We overheard another person complaining about filthy carpets to the front desk so our room was not the only one. We have never complained online before but definitely felt cheated (i.e. bait and switch relative to the photo) and felt compelled to warn others. Way too expensive for what you get. Beware.

7 Thank raptor12
Boston, MA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 February 2012

This was our second trip tp the Sanibel Inn. On our first trip, in February 2010, we had 3 days of temperatures in the 50's and the hotel stay was the savior of an otherwise disasterous trip. This year we figured we would make a do-over to Sanibel and rebooked, hoping the weather would come through the way the Sanibel Inn had previously.

My sister's family and mine once again made identical arrangements - each of us booking a 2 queen Pool and Palms guestroom as we had in 2010. When we arrived we saw dumpsters and contractor vans in the parking lot, making it clear they were doing some work on the guest rooms. Our 2 families,8 of us in total, kids in tow, crowded into the lobby, checking out the small store, local attraction brochures and my sister and I checked in. We did not get the next-door rooms we had requested but we were only about 50 yards apart, not as we had been promised but not the end of the world.

Here is where the the experiences diverge. My sister went to her room, unloaded and let her kids change into bathing suits and head to the beach. Her room was as requested and as we rembered from last time. I got to my door and saw I was in a handicapped accessable room, no big deal I thought. I opened to he door to find one queen size bed. I headed back to the office and spent the next half hour dealing with a clearly overwhelmed and under-empowered Sunday afternoon desk clerk. First I was told there was nothing they could do, they were booked solid and they never guaranty a 2 bed room. I asked how we were supposed to sleep 4 people in one bed and he told me our reservation was for 2 people. I showed him my reservation confirmation email showing 4 and he told me the email must have been an error as the reservation system had only 2 guests. He made several phone calls, alluded to having to upgrade me to another room, an idea that was clearly shot down on his next call. He continued to look at me with the deer in the headlights look, maybe hoping I would just accept what I had?

At this point another guest came in asking to change rooms, preferring a room with one bed. The desk clerk received a call and the 2 of us started talking. We seemed to have a solution, neither of us had used our rooms, we each wanted the other's room and we were both there saying it was OK with us to switch. Another phone call and we were told they could not do anything for us until the next day as they were not legally allowed to have us switch rooms. ???????

Their solution was to give us aerobeds for the beds for the kids for the night and switch us the next day. At this point I just wanted to be done so I agreed asking for that night to be free - another phone call - and they offered 50% off. Off to the room, unpack the car and wait for someone to show up with the beds. Half an hour later one twin aerobed shows up. I tell the that person I have 2 kids and he looks at me puzzled - I ask for another bed. Off he goes and I wait another 20 minutes. We start blowing up the beds, he fits a sheet to them and is ready to leave when I ask about blankets and pillows. He points to the what I know is empty closet and starts for the door. I have to stop him and ask again. I am now 90 minutes into my "stay" and wasting my first afternoon dealing with exactly the kind of thing you are trying to avoid by staying in a hotel.

The rest fo the afternoon goes by, we dress and head out to dinner. We come back at 10:00 PM and one of the aerobeds is partially deflated. I call the desk to get a new one and they tell me they will check and call me back. By 10:30 there is no call and my kids are exhausted. We spread out the beds, just about filling the entire room with beds and they fall asleep, one of them on the now reinflated bed. I give up and tun off the lights, only to be woken up by a phone call at 10:55 to tell me they do not have another bed and I should call the desk in the morning to tell them of the problem. I think,aren't you the front desk ????? I just hang up and go to sleep.

At 6:00 AM I wake up to the sound of my daughter's voice saying "why am I on the floor".

No sleeping in on our first day I guess. The kids climb into our bed, my wife and I head out to the beach for a run and to find some much needed coffee. On our way back I stop into the office to tell them about my wonderful night and I am "greeted" by the least empathetic desk person I think I have ever delt with. He knew who I was and about the room issue. When I told him about the aerobed his only reaction was "we will have that looked at, thanks for letting us know". He told me that we would have a new room with 2 beds later that morning as soon as they got it cleaned up. Pressing a little I figured out that they were having us swap rooms with the couple from the previous afternoon. I asked why we couldn't have done that the day before and he said they needed concent from both of us. I told him we did and he seemed to have no other answer. We headed back to our room, packed our things, loaded them in the car (ourselves) and waited for a call that our room was ready, which we received around 11:00.

I really do like this hotel and I am sure that other than having to hear me whine and wait my sister would have an overall very positive review. The issues you read about in other posts are being addresses. Why they chose February to do this is beyond me but they have installed large flat panel TVs in the rooms. They are changing the carpets. Kuerig coffee machines and tidybathrooms. Comfortable beds and clean and soft towels and sheets. The free loaner bikes were all recently replaced. 2 man kayaks and equipment all in good order. Plenty of pool and beach chairs and staff to set up umbrellas when requested. A nice place in a nice spot.

One comment I do have is that there is no place to put your folded clothes. There is a large closet with hangers and single rod and a night stand with 2 small drawers. I believe that the old style TVs that used to be in the room were in large armoires with drawers for clothes. They have been removed so we needed to live out of our suitcases as we could not really hang T-shirts and shorts for 4 people. I am not usre if they are waiting for the renovations to be completed to add furnture back in, but it is an issue now.

On check out day, after having had a carpet installer just walk into our room, I found out (only by looking at my statement) that they had not charged me at all for the first night. A nice guesture but why did I have to fight so hard to only betold they could not do that 2 days earlier?

I know that things happen and mistakes are made. I do not think that I ever overreacted and was even told by some people that I was being too accomodating to the hotel. In the end they owned up to the error and made a reasonable concession but the attention to customer service along the way was miserable. To the owners I say if you are not going to empower a Sunday desk clerk do act them don't leave him to flap in the wind, whoever was on the other end of that phone should have come and delt with the issue. There were lots of opportunities to help along the way but no real effort was made - someone to help move our bags, maybe a free breakfast or drink at the bar. I wouldnot ahve wanted these as my total solution but they would have made me feel better as I moved my stuff all over your hotel. And most importantly, please do not make me feel that you are doing me a favor by fixing your booking error.

You are just lucky I ended up with wrong room, my sister is not nearly as patient as I am.

Room Tip: Ask for a second floor room to get a better view.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank BostonBased99
Columbia, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

This is our third year here. In 2010 we stayed in a second floor Pool and Palm room in Lantana. That year we were astounded that there was a rather nice view of the gulf from our lanai. Last year and this year we stayed in an Oceanview room on the second floor of the Periwinkle building.

Our room had updates from last year including a new 40" flat screen TV. The old TV cabinet, with its large drawers, was gone from the room. This cut back on storage space, but we still had adequate space by using the large drawers in the bathroom as well as the drawers on the night stand between the beds.

Closet space is excellent. The small kitchen area has a undercabinet frig, microwave Keurig Coffee maker, a three foot countertop a table and two chairs. There are no kichen utensils or dishes. The New York Times is delivered to your door every day except Sunday. Read it on your spacious lanai while enjoying breakfast or a snack.

Beach view and access is outstanding. The pool is large and has 8 1/2 foot deep areas. We enjoyed a nice drink at the beachside bar finding the clientele and staff both friendly and accommodating. If you don't have a wealthy friend with a yacht or condo, this is a great place to savor all that Sanibel has to offer. It's a great place to kick back and relax.

Room Tip: If you don't mind hauling luggage up a flight of stairs the second level offers the best views.
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed in a refurbished, clean and well-equipped gulf view room. The amazing beach with the dunes and the peaceful atmosphere makes the place very attractive.

We had lunch at the restaurant on the site one day. There was only one waitress and few guests but it took a while before the food was on the table. The food could have been better. Go for the other restaurants nearby.

Overall a great stay, great place and a great hotel! We really enjoyed the quiet and relaxing stay!

1 Thank MrandMrsPetersson
Norwalk, Connecticut
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

Enjoyed our stay. Have stayed here before. We will be back!

• Stayed February 2012