“Outdoor seating/ call ahead seating ”

Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille Sanibel Island
Price range: US$10 - US$25
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, Grill
Good for: Local cuisine, Groups, Bar Scene, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Doc Ford's Rum Bar & Grille is the place to find the best Caribbean flavors on Sanibel Island and surrounding areas! It is named after the character from author Randy Wayne White's best-selling book series and is a favorite dining spot for travelers from all over the world as well as a favorite for the locals looking for great food and atmosphere!
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

We opted for outdoor seating and ended up with no shade so it was very warm. We had the crab cakes and paella , both were very good. The restaurant was very busy, about an hour wait when we got there. But the have outdoor seating and you can get drinks from the bar. Terry was super nice and got our food quickly, she was very pleasant. They do have limited call ahead seating if you will be three in the next 30 minutes.

Date of visit: April 2018
Write a ReviewReviews (5,213)

Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

Went here on a Wednesday night and the wait time was 60-75minutes. We waited for about an hour and while our appetizers came out fast our food took a considerable amount of time. Our server was very attentive and because of her we gave a 3 star. When we finally got our food the fish tacos were cold and the black beans and rice were too spicy (even for someone who likes spices) too eat. The fried whole red snapper was good as it was moist inside, however the Brussels sprout salad was an odd side dish. The last entree was a well done burger that wasn’t cooked all the way, so overall we weren’t impressed. So if you plan on coming here don’t have high expectations and you will be just fine.

Reviewed April 4, 2018

Very clean, food was excellent and the staff is very attentive and knowledgeable about their menu. Love also that it's in a great location, easy to get to by bike.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed April 3, 2018 via mobile

Wow!! I had the Yucatán shrimp with a side of grits. I’m not sure if I can put into words how delicious this is. It is a must to put some of the Yucatán sauce on the grits! Dinner was followed by key lime pie for dessert! Again - wow!! I highly recommend this restaurant. The service is amazing and it’s gorgeous!! My son said it’s the best restaurant in Florida!

Reviewed April 3, 2018

I had lunch at Doc Ford's Rum Bar. When I entered the place, it seems kind of
dark inside, almost a little too dark. The ambience, however, is pleasant, modern and clean. The staff at the entrance is friendly and helpful and they found me a table quite quickly. The place was actually not very busy at lunch time. Once I was at my table, unfortunately it took quite a long time until the waiter got to me. I ordered a lunch salad with jumbo prawns. It took quite a while until they brought the food. And the quality of the food was nice, the prawns were succulent and tasty, the salad was crisp, crunchy and fresh and the vinaigrette was flavorful. I noticed that the wifi was very slow, unfortunately. All in all, however, it was an enjoyable experience. But I would be curious to try other and similar places in the vicinity, before coming back to Doc Ford's. I think the quality of the service needs to improve.

Date of visit: November 2017