“Missed the mark”

Sweet Melissa's Cafe
Reserve with OpenTable
Sweet Melissa's Cafe is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Casa Ybel
“Missed the mark”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I don't understand the great reviews for this place; it missed the mark on several levels for us. By the time we'd finished eating our dinner, we couldn't wait to leave. We're a family of 4 and they sat us at a table big enough for 8, so conversation was difficult to start. Additionally, the speaker piping the live music was directly overhead and when we asked to have it turned down, the waiter sympathized and said she would but the volume did not decrease. The food was on the poorer side of average. I ordered the Tandoori Ahi Tuna appetizer and the flavors were distinct, but not cohesive. It seemed like they rolled the tuna in the tandoori seasonings before searing the tuna's skin. The entree's were better, but the black-eyed peas and asparagus in my dish were slightly under-cooked, making them a tad too crunchy. None of our dishes were considered "delicious". I don't recommend this place for families since the atmosphere is too formal and stuffy for Sanibel.

2 Thank Jerry H

Lincolnshire
“Our new favorite”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

We visit our friends in Sanibel Island, Florida almost every year and now have a new favorite restaurant. We visited Sweet Melissa's, on Periwinkle Way, for two lunches and one dinner and I think it is probably the best on the island.

Lunches are mainly "small" plates (as we are from the UK we would have called them normal size) and mainly healthy meals. I had Conch Chowder followed by Spicy Beef Salad and my wife had Goat Cheese Crepes. They also have Quiche of the Day, Grilled Burger and others.

At Dinner we were able to have half portions, which we found ample and of course half the price. Fish Stew was excellent, as was the Pan Seared Mahi Mahi.

We thought the prices reasonable and the quality of the food excellent. The "see-in" kitchen has Melissa very much "in charge". Our friends who live on the Island now visit this restaurant frequently.

• Visited February 2012
Summerville, South Carolina
“Great food and great service”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

We loved the food and had a fantastic waiter. Party of four with all dishes excellent. Beef tenderloin and boneless short ribs were A+. Seafood stew excellent.

• Visited April 2012
“Excellent food, nice ambience, and attentive service”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

My husband and I had a very nice dinner at Sweet Melissa's last night. I picked it based on TA reviews and fact that I could reserve in advance on Open Table. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. My husband was pleased with the wine list, a nice selection in a range of price points. We both loved the "small plates" styl, nice to order a couple things and be able to enjoy the smaller portions. I had an ahi tuna selection as an appetizer and it was outstanding, and my husband enjoyed goats cheese crepes. We both enjoyed the fish stew. Food was very well prepared, and our waiter gave us good tips on the menu and provided good service. Atmosphere was also good, with live acoustic guitar music in the background. All in all a lovely evening.

1 Thank pcs1
Louisville< KY
“Average food and experience Nice”
Reviewed 14 April 2012 via mobile

I don't get the reviews gushing over this place. My experience was average on every level. The caesar salad was decent and the cooked romaine was an interesting experience but not great. I had a salman dish that was a special but not so special. Our server was pleasant enough but indifferent.

2 Thank LiveWellDineWell