“My favorite vacation spot”
Review of Sanibel Island

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Portsmouth, Ohio
237 helpful votes
“My favorite vacation spot”
Reviewed 13 August 2007

Sanibel is an awesome place to go. (especially if you are interested in shells.) It's quiet and relaxing, too. If you are into powder soft sand, do not go here, because there is nothing but shells all over the beach. You need some water shoes before you go. I stepped on a pin shell, and one of the spines went into my foot. There are alot of live welks just under the sand out a little past where the waves break. Dig a little with your foot and you will feel the shell, then pull them up, they are beautiful. (put them back, though, they are ALIVE!)

3 Thank RosemountChick
Toronto, Canada
5 helpful votes
“My favourite island”
Reviewed 8 August 2007

I recently returned from a 3 week vacation on Sanibel Island - (July 14 - August 4). Stayed at Sand Dollar condos on Middle Gulf drive - fabuolous view of the beach and excellent amenities.

This was a "return" visit for my now grown children following a 13 year hiatus. We fell in love with Sanibel again but were alarmed by the horrible brown and stinking Blue-Green algae that washed ashore for a few days, followed by quantities of seaweed and some other "brain-like" sea sponge. This was not the beach we remembered.

My daughter, a PhD student in biology, did some quick research and determined that we were witnessing a world-wide phenomenon of incresed algae blooms and replacement of coral reefs with seaweed beds. We were grateful we had a swimming pool!

As for the rest of the holiday, it was fabulous - the bike trails, shopping and views of the gulf were wonderful. We are watching to see what will happen with the beach and coastal water conditions before we re-book but otherwise had a great stay.

1 Thank Toronto699
Portsmouth, Ohio
237 helpful votes
“A neat place to visit...”
Reviewed 6 August 2007

While staying on Sanibel Island, we decided to head north and visit some other barrier Islands. We headed for Gasparilla Island. This is a neat little town to visit. We visited a public beach, it was not crowded, the water was ok- not the clearest- there was alot of dead fish on the beach, must have been red tide. What was so strange about this island was there were giant iguanas everywhere! (I'm talking big, big, lizards!) It was kinda scary - when you drive down the streets these giant lizards scamper across the roads really fast!! A neat little place to visit for the day.

2 Thank RosemountChick
florida
1 helpful vote
“total sanibel enjoyment”
Reviewed 1 August 2007

have been to sanibel island twice in the last 2 years with girl friends. now my husband & i are going for a few days and really looking forward to it!!!
restaurants are terriffic as is the shopping and the beaches are magnificent!!

1 Thank beachhappy2
Atlanta, Georgia
315 helpful votes
“Old Florida Island struggling to survive....”
Reviewed 16 July 2007

We've been to Sanibel-Captiva, FL for many years now. This was our first visit back since the hurricane changed this gorgeous place. Nature is doing its best to thrive and survive along with tourists. Buildings were damaged and now being restored; but the old beautiful trees are gone. But this is the cycle of nature. Gobal warming has made the storms stronger and more dangerous. We can replant trees but need to work at the real cause....save our planet! Our first visit to Sanibel was in 1981 and the residents were very friendly and the feel of the island was relaxing. We didn't feel it this time. People that are working there to make a living seemed very tense, stressed, and not relaxed enough to be friendly and welcoming. The small resort we have always stayed at had so many "DO NOT...." signs up that it felt like we were always being watched and feared breaking a rule....Many cute buildings filled with beach shops in the past, now stood empty. We're use to paying high food prices, but not use to the lack of food selections in the gorcery store and resturants. Good seafood was not available anywhere....cheeseburgers with fries were everywhere.
We love the beach and have sympathy for the islands hit by storms, but we don't see the determination to recapture the beauty of the island...and I don't mean keep building more houses. Land that was reserved with trees is being cleared and another million dollar house going up.

5 Thank TravelBe

Been to Sanibel Island? Share your experiences!