“I was warned”

Americas Best Value Inn Downtown Sarasota
Ranked #43 of 51 Hotels in Sarasota
Reviewed 19 May 2010

I can't say I wasn't warned, but I wish I had paid better attention to the poor reviews of this awful motel. It was the worst motel I have ever stayed at. There were bugs everywhere. Filfth, dirt, and vermin. It was sickening.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled on business
6  Thank Simcha1

Reviewed 28 March 2010

Upon check-in, I noticed the motel totally different in person than on line pictures portrayed. Lobby smelled nasty was dirty and unkempt. "Breakfast area" was nothing more than a few small tables with a counter top. I asked to cancel the room and surly clerk told me I would be charged.
I asked to see the room and was told I had to check in to see room. My account was therefore charged. On way to look at room, the hallway smelled moldy and carpet unclean. Room was awful as well-smelled bad. and I told the clerk I could not stay in this place.
She informed me I would be charged for the room.
There were several people waiting to check in and I told her she could rent my room to another party.
I left the hotel and went to the lovely Wingate hotel in Bradenton. The manager in that hotel told me he would never charge a guest who was dissatisfied-not good business practice.
I have contacted the Board of Health regarding the unsanitary conditions of this motel.
I contacted the hotel manager and the Wyndham company two weeks ago for a refund and have yet to receive any feedback or satisfaction.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank lukefreeholdnj
Reviewed 17 March 2010

This HoJos is fine if you just need a place to sleep. The location is good, staff are friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean if a bit battered around the edges. Unfortunately the breakfasts are Howard Johnson standard -- in other words, barely adequate. We didn't try the pool.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 February 2010

I only stayed overnight less than 13 hrs they were not very accomodating to late check out- I was there for a conference and requested to get my things during lunch break at noon, was informed after 11:30 I would be charged another day---needless to say I was slightly late but made sure I got all my things out at 7:30 am. I was still inadvertently charged another day anyway which we are trying to recoup. The locks to the balcony were broken and also the security bar was duct taped together.
I would give this a 3/5.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank ZHtraveler
Reviewed 17 February 2010

I had a very relaxing stay at this Howard Johnson's in Sarasota FL. The room with king bed was extremely spacious, setting was quiet, view was great overlooking the pool. What's good to note is that the location is great as it is central to the beaches of Sarasota and downtown as well. And being right off Route 41, the place was very quiet - even at night. The hotel owner/manager, Nisha, and her staff, specifically Crissy, are extremely accommodating, going out of their way to make sure I was comfortable. It made my stay that much nicer - made me feel very much at home!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 April 2008

Howard Johnson Express Sarasota Florida. terrible??? We arrived late in the evening, Staff helpful and welcoming. Retired late after a tiring day. We were wakened in the early hours with bugs, some as big as a dime and countless others crawling over us and the bed. We were quickly awake showered and had to throw a lot of contaminated clothing away. We would not use that hotel again nor would we use Howard Johnson again . We have written to them on three occasions , they have not replied. All other hotels we used in Florida were clean and above average.
John Lea

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4  Thank Floridajohnnyl
Reviewed 3 April 2008

This place is not great,but if all you need is a bed and shower it will work.Located near downtown Sarasota. about 10 minutes from Marina Jack.Staff was pleasant.Rooms were so so.Older linens and the beds were adequete.Had small fridge and microwave.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled with family