Coquina On The Beach
RitzCarlton.com
  • Restaurant
US$172
  • Pool
Best Western Plus Siesta Key Gateway(Sarasota)(Great Value!)
US$119
US$146
US$143
US$118
US$101
Regency Inn & Suites(Sarasota)(Great Value!)
US$59
US$212
US$190
Gulf Beach Resort Motel(Sarasota)(Great Value!)
US$149
US$145
US$113
US$110
All reviewsold floridalido keyfull kitchenlido beachplenty of beach chairsdressing areaarmand's circlenice kitchenlounge chairssand dollarsbeachfront hotelprivate beachwe loved our staypool areabit datedlocation is greatbeach front
Reviewed March 1, 2012

My review will have two parts, the good and the no so good.

The good:

(1) Wonderful location, we could walk across the hotel parking lot and be on the beach in a couple minutes. (The beach is very nice too!)

(2) The pool was heated. So in Winter (which is when we went) you could still get in and not freeze to death.

(3) Within walking distance to St Armand's circle and the wonderful albeit expensive downtown. Very trendy shops and very nice to hang out in during the evenings.

(4) For the price ($139), you can't get than anywhere at this time in that beautiful area and believe me we looked and looked. For the first two nights we stayed near the airport, at a different hotel, for $174.

(5) Lots of space in the room.

(6) The toilet flush, although noisy, was really powerful, so there was no need to worry that stuff would not go down.

(7) I like the glass wall, I could open up the blinds and have light all over the room.

(8) There was a kitchenette, which I am always grateful for. You can save so much money if you do breakfast and lunch for yourself.

The not so good:

(1) The furniture was stained and very dirty looking (the chairs were made out of material and there were lots of stains). I had to put towels on them and would not rest my skin on the chairs. Thank god for Clorax wipes. I wiped down everything. I always walk with wipes regardless of whatever hotel I go to. All in all, most of the furniture looks a tad bit old.

(2) The kitchnette cupboards were old and peeling, but we did not mind this. I always walk with dishwashing liquid and a sponge and I always wash the dishes we use, before and after we use them. So this really is not a knock on them at all. It was very convenient to have a kitchinette.

(3) The aircondition/fan was a bit noisy.

(4) Towels were thin and did not have a nice smell.

(5) There is no free WiFi. I don't consider WiFi in the lobby (only) as a hotel with WiFi.

All in all, for the price, it was okay. I could not believe that in Feb, the prices for hotels in Sarasota/Bradenton/St Pete Beach/Treasure Island, would be so expensive. So we did do okay. I will stay at Coquina again if we come to Lido Beach again.

Room Tip: There is no elevator, so make sure you can walk up stairs.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Afar31
Reviewed February 29, 2012

We were looking for a pet friendly rental when we were lucky enough to stumble upon this location. The front desk clerk, Shannon went above and beyond expectations. When I needed a hair dryer, she offerred to bring it down to my room. The other staff were just as accommodating. We got an excellent suggestion for a restaurant that would deliver. Our room had just been painted and we had new mattresses on our beds. The hotel is definitely an older property and is not new and glitzy, but the location is great, the price is right and our room was very clean. We enjoyed chatting with the other guests and found everyone to be very friendly. Pretty much an older crowd and a few young families.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 99Happy
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Simple yet FABULOUS. You can't beat the location on the beach, away from the crowds. It's "old Florida" style, not shabby! If you're looking for luxury, go pay double the price elsewhere. For our family, this place is perfect! Going back soon!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank AngelMommy2
Reviewed February 12, 2012

Coquina on the beach is a beautiful gem in Sarasota! My parents and husband and I ended up staying a few days longer than what we anticipated because it was such a relaxing place! We ended up staying a total of 10 days and each had our own rooms (2) which each had a kitchenette! I loved how the beach was just footsteps from the room!! Every morning we would go out and have a beautiful relaxing walk on the beach and picked up nice beautiful shells! The rooms are very beautiful and cozy and have a home feel to them. They are very clean! The staff was awesome and extremely friendly!!! I also enjoyed the heated pool!!! I would recommend this lovely place to anyone who likes to be close by the ocean but also enjoy to be so close to the action! It wasnt far to get to nearby attractions. It was one of those places that has something for everyone! I would defenetly recommend this place for anyone who wants to stay at a nice place with an affortable rate!!! I give it a 5 out of 5! :) Thank you for making our stay here so nice! I will defenetly be back in the near future!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank ChristineRM
Reviewed February 6, 2012

we stayed here for one night following the excellent reviews on here. The location is amazing right on the beach. Pool is also lovely. Unfortunately what let this hotel down was the shabby room. We had a top floor pool/ sea view. While the view was lovely the room needs a makeover. Very spacious but a bit grubby. Worst thing was the beds which were very lumpy, one of them felt like it had partially collapsed. Sheets are grey with some stains and have seen better days.
we would try another hotel when next in the area. As mentioned in other reviews staff were very friendly & polite as I would expect.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Amy499523
CoquinaGM, General Manager at Coquina On The Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2012

On behalf of the entire staff at Coquina, we'd like to thank you for your review and recent stay with us.

We have reviewed our guest history to help us in determine which guest room you stayed with us in for your January stay. As you mentioned, it looks as though you were in a 2nd floor, Poolside Bldg – Studio which would have offered you the great views of our heated and inviting pool along with spectacular glimpses of the beautiful Gulf beach, too.

We’re very disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your recent accommodations. Within the past six months, every guest room has been refreshed with a relaxing and tropical shade of green paint on the walls, as well as new Sealy Posture Premier mattresses to replace any older mattresses that didn’t lend themselves to a great night’s sleep.

Again, we appreciate your review and comments and will work to ensure other guests have a great getaway with us.

We hope that our location, value and efforts to constantly improve our accommodations and service might encourage you to stay with us again in the future.

Kindly,