“Ceviche- Authenic, Lowest Cost in Sarasota”

Maemi Peruvian Restaurant
Ranked #400 of 1,157 Restaurants in Sarasota
Cuisines: Peruvian
Reviewed August 9, 2017 via mobile

I have been a fan of this Peruvian restaurant for 10 years. They serve the best tasting, largest portion, lowest price ceviche in Sarasota. It's the real deal. Maemi is owners name. Most of the customers will be speaking Spanish. There is always an English speaking waitress. It is a neighborhood, family place. Nothing fancy here, just great Peruvian cusine. Many things on menu besides ceviche. Clean, simple decor, great food, reasonable price. My favorite place in town. Not a place for fancy decor, just good food.

Reviewed July 18, 2017 via mobile

I love the atmosphere, the food is amazing, i will recommend this place to all the people living in the area. I have had everything from their menu and there is nothing i hated!!!

Reviewed June 11, 2017

We shared the Chilled mussels with onions, tomatoes, and Peruvian corn, seafood ceviche, and fried plantains (don't skip the plantains ... they were perfectly cooked). So fun to try new dishes. I would love to buy the dip they serve with the corn by the gallon ... so good.

1  Thank Stephanie S
Reviewed March 11, 2017

We love to find good off the beaten track "Mom & Pop" places that are family owned and serve non-American fare, and this place fits the bill! Housed in a modest strip mall on 17th St., you might think it is a frozen food-type of barely making it place, but everything we had was fresh, delicious and pretty much unique. First, the waiter--a cousin of the owners and cooks--brought us some large corn kernels (looked like unpopped popcorn?!) with a delicious accompanying avocado-based sauce to try. The kernels were tasty; crunchy in texture with a mild corn flavor that, when dipped in the sauce, were a delicious amuse. Then, since we looked a little perplexed by the numerous Peruvian dishes in the menu--which ranged from wok-cooked Asian noodle/pasta and/or vegetarian options, to multiple seafood items cooked in a variety of ways-- the waiter brought out a booklet with pictures of each entre, and explained them in detail. I'm a fish guy, so I chose the combination plate of cerviche and fried seafood, while my wife chose the beef stew with rice and beans. The cerviche was absolutely delicious, with a portion so large I couldn't finish it all, while the fried seafood (shrimp, a white fillet, calamari and a mussel fried in the shell!) was crisp, non-oily and deliciously "unfishy" in flavor. My wife's beef was melt-in-your-mouth tender and very flavorful, again with a plate so large we took it home.
While they served a good Peruvian beer that my wife enjoyed, my only complaint was that they had a very limited wine menu, with only two unnamed white wines available only by the glass. Other than that, the service was great, the food unique, fresh and very tasty, and the whole meal cost the two of us about $50, including the drinks. This is a local gem which is well worth visiting, especially when you are in the mood for something different than the usual restaurant fare!!

Reviewed January 11, 2017 via mobile

They have a great selection and everything is very tasty! Portions are big and reasonably priced. The service is very friendly and the ambiance is just great; really nice Latin music playing all the time. 5/5 can't wait to come back!