“Really good food. Nice outdoor seating. Relaxing setting.”
Review of Surfing Deer

Surfing Deer
Reserve with OpenTable
Surfing Deer is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Price range: US$12 - US$40
Description: Surfing Deer is an exciting new concept/restaurant full of bold ingredients and flavors, domestic and international inspired specialty dishes, and a love to create delicious food. We specialize in comfort food from the sea and the farm, new american style cuisine, seafood, fusion, international, eclectic and locally sourced ingredients, produce and meats. Surfing Deer offers gluten-free, vegetarian and the occasional vegan option for appetizers, entrees, and desserts. Surfing Deer is a casual fine dining restaurant located in the heart of Seagrove Beach on Highway 30A just a short walk from the beautiful coastal beaches of South Walton.
Reviewed October 4, 2017

We decided to try Surfing Deer for dinner one evening. First of all, you can make reservations via OpenTable if you prefer. It also allows you to select indoor or outdoor seating. While it wasn't overly busy when we were there, this option can definitely come in handy during peak seasons!

If you're in the mood for cocktails... you can't go wrong with the Coconut Mojito or the Stolen Painkiller...

Our servers were on top of their game. We had our main server and then another "helper" who made sure we had bread, water and a clean table. They worked really well together.

Speaking of bread... the jalapeño cornbread was sooooo good... and I'm not a big fan of jalapeños... The bread came with two butters... a seeded butter and also a cajun butter. Both were very good and gave the bread different flavor profiles...

My wife had the BLT wedge salad to start and I had the Duck Gumbo. She really enjoyed the salad... said the bacon was good... the pepper crusting added some heat for additional flavor but the dressing smoothed it all out. The gumbo was superb! I love duck and this did not disappoint! It was flavorful and had just the right amount of heat. The duck was tender and blended well with the other ingredients.

For out main meals, my wife had the seared scallops with a pea risotto. The sear on the scallops was beautiful! She said the risotto was such a great compliment for her seafood. I had the grilled grouper with garlic mashed potatoes, cole slaw and hush puppies. While the groups was moist and flaky and truly the star on my plate... I have to give a HUGE SHOUT OUT to the hushpuppies! They were the BEST I'VE EVER HAD... and I'm not a big fan of them. They were light and fluffy... not dense like you will find. The were moist and flavorful. The outer crust was crispy... not tough or chewy at all. I can't say anything but GREAT things about the hushpuppies!

To top it all off... I ordered the banana pudding cheesecake for dessert. It was so smooth, light and tasty! The banana flavor was very present without being too much! The caramelized banana slices along with the bourbon cream sauce added just the right touch!

Don't miss out... Surfing Deer is worth it!

Date of visit: October 2017

Reviewed October 4, 2017

We loved the overall experience at the Surfing Deer, but the cocktails RUINED the five stars! We had three couples out for our last night of vacation and were very glad we picked the Surfing Deer. The outside patio is full of small pools, great landscaping/lighting, and nice music. There was a table next to us with young kids but most patrons were adults.

The signature cocktails were absolutely terrible... we were so excited for the Painkiller, the Copper Antler, and another one I cannot remember... however they were so disappointing (and $13-16). YUCK. All three women were really sad, as they sounded amazing.

The empanada appetizer, a special, were heavenly, and started making us glad to have made reservations at the Surfing Deer. The bacon and jalapeño pancakes were also fantastic.

Just order the scallops. One lady in our group had the scallops and risotto and we all wanted to inhale her dish, even though ours were great, too. Those were just superior!!!

We loved the desserts... bananas foster cheesecake, peanut butter pie, chocolate chip cookie with ice cream, and beignets were all better than the next! We could've done these nightly. We just passed and shared and gorged on the heavenly desserts.

Doug, our server, was funny and timed the meal perfectly. He was well-spoken, yet spunky, and we all loved him.

Definitely go to the Surfing Deer, just maybe stick to wine.

Date of visit: October 2017
2  Thank sommerlovin
Reviewed September 23, 2017 via mobile

My husband and sister-in-law had dinner here on a recent visit to Seagrove. The restaurant is lovely and offers spacious, outdoor dining fronted with fountains. We did not like our first table location and were graciously offered another. Service was prompt, and our waiter attentive, but maybe just a little too anxious for our orders. We enjoy lingering over cocktails and appetizers before selecting entrees, and we'd mentioned this. An inventive, creative appetizer was the Clothesline Bacon. It was good except the Farm Pea Ragout appeared to be overcooked black-eyed peas. Our second appetizer was the delicious sounding Cheddar Jalapeno Corn Pancakes. The menu described it as being served with Avocado Cilantro Cream and Corn Relish, and it was. However, the delicate flavor of avocado was lost in the other flavors, and I never got a jalapeño "bite" or very cheesy flavor from the pancake. Finally, I ordered the flatbread. A yummy description of ricotta, pistachios, roasted radishes, arugula, and local honey had my mouth watering. Well, it was good, but I never tasted pistachios or roasted radishes, and there was an abundance of arugula on top. I'd have to say overall my food was good, but didn't quite come across with all the flavors I was expecting. Would I recommend dining there? I's day give it a try and decide for yourself.

Date of visit: September 2017
Reviewed August 18, 2017 via mobile

Our experience started by poor service at the bar and insincere hostesses who could care less.

There were 15 of us and they did have a table set when we arrived - a plus. We all met in the bar. We arrived in intervals so we were not all clamoring for attention at once. The bar service was poor - my husband & I were there 15 minutes before our order was taken. They would not seat any of us for dinner until we paid our bill at the bar. We are not a bunch of 21 year-olds that might skip the bill. We were a little insulted that they would not simply transfer the bar bill to out dinner table tab. (Figure close to $1000)

Our dinner waiter saved the day- very nice, excellent and timely service.

The food, unfortunately, was very average. We've spoken to all our family & friends and everyone agreed that even if they really enjoyed parts of their meal they are not interested in returning.

We've been coming to this area every year for over 20 years. Hopefully things will improve at the Surfing Deer by this time next year.

Date of visit: August 2017
1  Thank ksimslubbock
Reviewed August 18, 2017

my family and I had dinner here, food is amazing, service is great. awesome place to sit outside, since you have a great view of the ocean, only downside if any if that there's no cell phone reception, in case anyone cares

Date of visit: August 2017