“We lucked out!”

The Palm Bay Club
indianapolis, IN
“We lucked out!”
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed in the tower in room 116 over spring break. We decided to go with a group of friends but were very late in making reservations. By the time I booked there were only two rooms left for just 5 days. I could have had a 2 BR in the bay section or a 1BR in the tower right on the beach. I am SO glad I chose the tower as it is so much more convenient to the beach! Since it was for my husband and I and son and the room said it slept 4, I assumed it was a pullout couch. Nope. I called before leaving to ask about this and asked why they would say it slept 4 if there was only one king bed. I was told that most people will bring a blowup mattress. I actually forgot to do this so my son ended up sleeping on the couch--my fault. Oh, well, he's young. The place was fairly nice. My friends were not so lucky--their place was very dated, worn and smelled awful. Be careful and check details on the specific room before booking! Otherwise, I recommend this place. The location is great and the beach is beautiful! It felt very safe, secure and clean. Only problem is the chair hogs who come down in the morning and place towels on beach chairs to save them and don't come to the beach until hours later. Not a problem--we just stole their chairs after the security guy told us they are not allowed to do that!

Room Tip: Go with the tower! It is worth it!
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 29 March 2012

All that glitters is not gold! No doubt about it, the Palm Bay Club is beautiful on the outside. On the inside, and I mean from a management perspective it is a rotting cesspool of poor leadership. If you want to make sure that you are treated as a second class citizen, then this is the place for you.
I have been coming to Siesta Key for 22 years and LOVE it here. I have several friends and a family member who own condos on the property. I thought, this must be a nice place, particularly because they charge $1000 more to stay here than other well-run places on the beach.
From broken exercise equipment to an incredibly rude and condescending manager, I can promise you that I will NEVER stay here again. I will be writing an article on leadership and management for CareerRealism when I return to Denver. I will use the manager here and example #1 on how not to treat a customer as well as how not to manage. Quote from manager when approached about the situation we encountered everyday on the beach; “you must not vacation much.” Oh really? Thank goodness he let us know. I will let the Waldorf Astoria in Rome know what country bumpkins are about to stay there next month. Even if we didn’t travel, that is unacceptable.
We were surrounded by several other families who also said they would never stay here again. I, of course, am the only one who is willing to post it everywhere and anywhere I can. It’s sad when you bond with strangers over a bad situation. We were supposed to be having fun.

Room Tip: Best tip I can offer. The good rooms are in another resort
7 Thank SusanRuhl
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 27 March 2012

We stayed here the week of March 19th. We were worried about lots of college spring breakers since we had kids, but mostly we saw other families. The beach is one of the most beautiful we have ever seen. The water was calm in the morning and much bigger waves in the afternoon. For what we payed, I guess we expected a bit more, like a washer and dryer in the room, replacing the towels and washclothes. You are expected to wash your own towels unless you stay longer than 8 days. Our room was nice, we stayed in one of the club suites, but it still took us a little while to get to the beach. If we were on the beach and one of the kids had to use the bathroom it was like a 20 minute ordeal. It is a very nice resort on a gorgeous beach, but should not be that expensive. We found many other places that were much less expensive but were already sold out when we tried to book (3 months in advance).

Room Tip: We couldn't afford the tower rooms, but the club suites closest to the beach would be the best r...
1 Thank RXmom5515
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We stayed in Unit 113 in the Tower for 4 nights the week of March 19th. The view from the 11th floor really is amazing and the beach access from the Tower was great. However, our room was very dated, considering what we paid for it: Stained furniture in the bedrooms; peeling wallpaper in bathrooms; stained appliances. The biggest disappointment, however, was the screened-in lanai that reeked of cigarette smoke, despite the fact that the Palm Bay Club states that all units are non-smoking. Additionally, there was an ash tray in the kitchen cupboard.

When we called management to complain about the lanai the front desk person initially told us that a guest in a near-by unit must be violating the Clubs non-smoking policy. I explained to her that the lanai smelled like someone had been smoking in it for the last ten years and that there was even an ash tray in our cupboard. She then confessed to me that, although they advertise these units as non-smoking, they allow guests and owners to smoke on the lanais of their units. I told her that this made the lanai useless to us since the smell was disgusting and we certainly were not going to expose our kids to it. As a result, I asked that they discount our rent for the week to account for this loss of use and they refused.

If you choose to stay here, be aware that you will be paying top-dollar for an out-dated room. Additionally, because of the club's misleading non-smoking policy, there is good chance that the lanai in your room will reek of cigarette smoke from prior guests or from smokers on lanais in surrounding units. That being said Siesta Key itself is unbelievable and we will definately be going back. However, I think there are better values for your money than the Palm Bay Club.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank HJMJLM
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Location fine. First night roaches, tv does not work, place smells like mildew. No maintenance after 5. Would not recommend ever.

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank nik35805
Pelham, New Hampshire
Reviewed 21 February 2012

My wife and I stayed here in February and had the best weather. The unit we stayed in was awesome and we loved cooking out on the charcoal grills for dinner. This will likely be the vacation spot for us from now on.

Room Tip: Unit 64 is awesome!
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Brettsky72
providence rhode island
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Lovely beach within a 6 minute walk from farthest unit of the property. You have to cross a very busy road, by the way, and the cars come quickly, so if mobility is a problem, stay on the beach side of the street. Property is quiet, two nice pools, and barbecue area. Beach is spectacular.

Our unit was nicely done, however, there was a black mold problem in the shower---and because we were not staying 8 days (we stayed 7) there was no maid service. Didn't want to wait around if we complained to have it cleaned, so we used the other shower, which was very narrow. Also, there is no daily towel service so you have to wash your own. Even though there was no housekeeping, we were charged $50 plus tax upon check out to clean the unit---and it was cleaner than when we got there--with the exception of the used towels. So beware. Also, there a two, count em two taxes in addition to the room charges--so we ended up paying $280.30 in taxes and cleaning fees, Just so you know.....

No restaurant of any kind, except for a vending machine---so you must cook or eat out. Also, there are laundry rooms, wi fi, and cable tv--- if you need them. Not like a hotel. Nuf said

Room Tip: stay away from elevator, laundry room, first floor in street on the bayside, as the cars are right o...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1.8 km away
The Capri at Siesta
The Capri at Siesta
#2 of 12 in Siesta Key

Been to The Palm Bay Club? Share your experiences!