“Overpriced for amenities provided”
Review of The Palm Bay Club

The Palm Bay Club
Reviewed 14 April 2012

We (three adults) stayed at Palm Bay Club the first week of April 2012. The grounds are lovely, well kept, and clean; however, the resort is overpriced when compared to others of similar rental fees and the place looks rundown overall. We made the mistake of staying there during Spring break; and even though we were presented with four sheets of “Rules We Live By” upon arrival regarding quiet time, pool rules, occupancy regulations, etc., most of these were not enforced. There were two groups of under-aged teenagers (high school) next door and beneath us. They partied until the wee hours and paid no attention to the “rules” nor were they fazed by visits from security. These kids were on their own, about six to a condo with no parent present although the “rules” specifically state that no one under eighteen shall occupy a unit without an adult present. No doubt the units were rented to the parents, but they chose to occupy other condos which removed them from the partying and noise. We attempted to use the hot tub on several occasions, but it was full of teenagers who drank from cans and bottles while using the hot tub. This was really unfortunate because the hot tub and one of the pools overlooks the Intercoastal waterway and is one of the nicest areas on the resort. Patrons from other resorts cut across the back areas daily to enjoy the pool and hot tub. During our stay, no security ever checked on those who were not wearing the Palm Bay bracelets around the pool area. The security officer was positioned right at the entrance to the beach side and occasionally checked bracelets of patrons going and coming; however, it’s a large resort and there’s obviously no problem entering from open spaces. We rented a two-bedroom unit which presumably was one of the inferior ones. There was no AC in the second bedroom and no fan; consequently, the bedroom door had to be left opened all night in order to survive the heat. There was no starter packet of dishwashing liquid supplied, no washer/dryer, and the off-white carpet in the bedrooms was absolutely filthy. We had to keep the microwave fan and the bathroom fans running all night to drown out the noise. If you stay on the Intercoastal side, there is quite a long walk to the beach and you have to cross a very busy road. There is no bathroom near the beach. The “gym” consists of two broken down treadmills and one other piece of equipment in a non air-conditioned small room. We have stayed at other resorts in that area, Hyatt Residence Club, Crystal Sands, Siesta Royale, all of which are superior to Palm Bay Club. Crescent Beach is absolutely beautiful along with the remainder of Siesta Key. Great area to vacation, but would not recommend the Palm Bay Club.

Room Tip: Get a recommendation from someone who has stayed in a particular room before booking it.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Daisyboo101

Reviewed 11 April 2012

The accommodations are very clean and up to date. Security is tight. However, if you are looking for peace and quiet-this is NOT the place for you, especially during Spring Break. The units are on top of each other and offer no privacy. You will not be able to go to bed early or sleep late because of the noise. This place is full of families and screaming brats with no supervision. You can hear everything. Absolutely no views from the units except for the balconies directly across from you. "Steps from the beach"....ha ha. It's about 1/4 mile walk across the road and throughout the complex. VERY Far. Pools are crowded and chairs on the beach are limited. Traffic here is a nightmare. If you ask me, Indian Rocks Beach near Tampa is far superior for all types of vacationers- especially those who enjoy finer dining. Restaurants here are sub-par.

Room Tip: Stay on the gulf side for sure!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank wendy f
Reviewed 5 April 2012

We stayed in #86 in the tower. Very nice, very comfortable. Beach access for bathroom breaks is great. Condo very well appointed and comfortable. I read a couple of reviews that were negative. I can only tell you that we checked in on Friday around noon for an 8 day stay, condo was ready. The staff could not have been more helpful and easy. There are a lot of High School kids here for Spring Break and Security does a nice job breaking up the louder groups.

If i had it to do over again I would book earlier and get a beach or northern facing condo on one of the higher floors. Great views. Fortunately we had friends staying here who did and we loved their room.

The beach is incredible. When they say they have the best sand in America, they are not kidding. This is something you have to experience to believe. Super fine and cool to the touch.

Be careful in the sun. It is very powerful.

Loved it.
D.

Room Tip: Get a high room in the tower and book early to get a good view.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Shawna F, Guest Relations Manager at The Palm Bay Club, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

We appreciate your family choosing our property and hope a return stay at the Palm Bay Club is in your future.

Reviewed 3 April 2012

We (2 adults and 2 teenagers) just returned from a 9 night stay at the Palm Bay Club during a very busy Spring Break. We stayed in the Club Suites-unit 161. The condo was great. All furniture and appliances were upscale and well-maintained. The unique premium features of this condo are 2 queen size beds in the master plus a king in the guest bedroom. Too many of the condos offer only twins or one double in the second room so this is a plus. There were flat screen TVs in both bedrooms and the living room. Plus there is a washer and dryer in a large walk-in closet off of the master bedroom that has plenty of space to store luggage and clothes. The complex provides plenty of bath towels and beach towels and you also get a local newspaper delivered to your door every morning. The palm tree lined boulevard that you see in many of the Palm Bay Club photos is one of the prettiest views on the island. The complex was very busy and there were a lot of kids during the time we stayed but it was blissfully quiet at night. I think it's because the minimum renting age is 25 and the high school and college students were there with their parents. The main reason I booked at the Palm Bay Club is because they do not have those very restrictive one or two week or one month minimums. Their minimum is 3 nights so you can book any amount over 3 nights. This is so convenient and accommodating. I liked it so much I immediately reserved for Spring Break 2013.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Although we strive to always surpass our guest expectations, our team values both the praise and constructive criticism from our owners and guests. We appreciate your family choosing our property and will see you for Spring Break 2013!

Reviewed 2 April 2012

I have stayed here with a family of 5 for the past 5 years and the place has become progressively worse. The rooms need updating. There is a smell of mildew from the A/C vents. The floors were so dirty, it seemed as if they were cleaned only once a season. The refrigerator was so old that we had to trash food after a few days because it wasn't getting cold enough (maintenance said it was plenty cold). To make matters worse, there were so many high school/college kids with large boom boxes (stereos carried on your shoulder) in the elevators with music blasted. EVERY night the kids would congregate at the beach till late into the night screaming as if it were a concert. We're talking about a gathering of over 100 kids. Security and police tried to break it up but to no avail. This happened every night and with a family of 5 who used to love this place for its family friendly atmosphere, it was a major disappointment. In conclusion, if you are a college or high schools spring breaker, this is for you. However, if you want a nice family atmosphere with little kids, then STAY AWAY FROM HERE!!! We stayed in the tower right on the beach and the raucous EVERY NIGHT was just not peaceful at all. Especially for the money. NOT FOR FAMILIES!!!

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Dhp224
Reviewed 31 March 2012

We stayed in the tower in room 116 over spring break. We decided to go with a group of friends but were very late in making reservations. By the time I booked there were only two rooms left for just 5 days. I could have had a 2 BR in the bay section or a 1BR in the tower right on the beach. I am SO glad I chose the tower as it is so much more convenient to the beach! Since it was for my husband and I and son and the room said it slept 4, I assumed it was a pullout couch. Nope. I called before leaving to ask about this and asked why they would say it slept 4 if there was only one king bed. I was told that most people will bring a blowup mattress. I actually forgot to do this so my son ended up sleeping on the couch--my fault. Oh, well, he's young. The place was fairly nice. My friends were not so lucky--their place was very dated, worn and smelled awful. Be careful and check details on the specific room before booking! Otherwise, I recommend this place. The location is great and the beach is beautiful! It felt very safe, secure and clean. Only problem is the chair hogs who come down in the morning and place towels on beach chairs to save them and don't come to the beach until hours later. Not a problem--we just stole their chairs after the security guy told us they are not allowed to do that!

Room Tip: Go with the tower! It is worth it!
Reviewed 29 March 2012

All that glitters is not gold! No doubt about it, the Palm Bay Club is beautiful on the outside. On the inside, and I mean from a management perspective it is a rotting cesspool of poor leadership. If you want to make sure that you are treated as a second class citizen, then this is the place for you.
I have been coming to Siesta Key for 22 years and LOVE it here. I have several friends and a family member who own condos on the property. I thought, this must be a nice place, particularly because they charge $1000 more to stay here than other well-run places on the beach.
From broken exercise equipment to an incredibly rude and condescending manager, I can promise you that I will NEVER stay here again. I will be writing an article on leadership and management for CareerRealism when I return to Denver. I will use the manager here and example #1 on how not to treat a customer as well as how not to manage. Quote from manager when approached about the situation we encountered everyday on the beach; “you must not vacation much.” Oh really? Thank goodness he let us know. I will let the Waldorf Astoria in Rome know what country bumpkins are about to stay there next month. Even if we didn’t travel, that is unacceptable.
We were surrounded by several other families who also said they would never stay here again. I, of course, am the only one who is willing to post it everywhere and anywhere I can. It’s sad when you bond with strangers over a bad situation. We were supposed to be having fun.

Room Tip: Best tip I can offer. The good rooms are in another resort
7  Thank SusanRuhl