“Great location and friendly staff”

Tropical Beach Resorts
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Siesta Key
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great location and friendly staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 March 2012

This seems to be a older resort that has been recently updated. Close walking distance to the beach. Don't expect a five star resort, you're paying for the location. It is quiet with a more mature crowd. Next time we come to Siesta Key, we'll probably try staying at another place. Just being honest. The bedroom is small and the bathroom could've been nicer in my opinion. This unit is large enough for two people, but no more.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank james H

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (411)
Rochester, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 March 2012

We stayed for 4 days this past February and last February (2011) as well. We stayed in the one-bedroom suite. Rooms were updated from the last time we stayed...and the beach is still only a short walk along a path to get there. Location is great. Having the kitchen helped us save on breakfast and lunches. Dinners can be gotten in town (short drive away). All in all, you cannot do much better for the money here on the best beach in the US.

Room Tip: There are 5 one-bedroom suites. I would not think I would like the one directly next to the office a...
2 Thank chiromag
Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2012

I hesitate to let anyone know what a gem this place is for fear of not being able to get a room the next time I want to go! Seriously though...I loved my stay at Tropical Shores and can't wait to visit again.

The rooms are very clean and updated. The beds are very comfy. Each room has a kitchen and there are grills outside that are conveniently placed for each room block in case you want to do your own cooking. However...there are several restaurants within easy walking distance that shouldn't be missed. Captain Curt's has WONDERFUL clam chowder! Javier's Peruvian restaurant was delightful! They have an early bird discount as well. The Orange Octopus has really good ice cream. :-) If you do decide to cook, there is a small grocery store and a fish market within easy walking distance as well.

The resort provides DVD's, beach chairs and towels at no cost. They also have coffee, fruit, candy and cookies in the office each day. Nice touch. The staff is AWESOME! Very friendly and helpful. They checked us in for our flight and printed our boarding passes for us. They even delivered a vase of flowers to our room one day when they noticed I was admiring the flowers in the office. :-)

The grounds are beautiful. The beach is just spectacular. The sand is so fine it feels like silk. The resort is near the southern end of Crescent Beach, near the Point of Rocks. If you are a nature lover, be sure to take water shoes and go on an adventure amongst the rocks. We spent a couple of mornings out there collecting shells and discovering sea anemones, urchins, starfish and just enjoying the unusual beauty of this geologic formation. We enjoyed several beautiful sunsets and a gorgeous sunrise from the beach.
The pool is quiet and relaxing. The water temperature is perfect. If you prefer to relax in the shade, the pool is the place for you. They provide floaties and noodles also.
There is a gentleman on the grounds (just across from the office) who sells breakfast and lunch sandwiches and pop and water. He provided us with a DELICIOUS breakfast each morning - Very convenient and inexpensive.
I really enjoyed my stay here and wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone looking for a relaxing, low key vacation. If you're the Ritz Carlton type...look elsewhere. Leave this place for me! :-)

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank SeekerOfTheSun
Melrose, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

I stayed at this hotel with my two children ages 15 and 11. Overall I feel I paid way too much for what I received. We paid $35o a night for the biggest room which is a single bedroom with a living/dining/kitchen area. The "average" price is listed as $99-$299.
This is what I liked:
We were steps from the walkway to the beach

The bed was comfortable

The bathroom was enormous

There was a kitchenette that was suitable

It was clean when we arrived

They allowed us to check in two hours early

The staff at our hotel was friendly.

This is what I didn't like:
The towels felt like sandpaper

There was no reserved parking space for our unit

If we wanted the quality beach umbrellas and lounge chairs we had to pay to rent them. We could borrow hotel chairs, but they were well used and uncomfortable.

While smoking is not allowed in the unit, it is everywhere else. Including directly outside and beneath our bedroom windows. We're non-smokers and hate the smell of cigarette smoke.

Yard work starts early around there and they use power tools. Quite noisy.

My biggest complaint is the misunderstanding about housekeeping. I did not know we could make an appointment if we called before 11 am. We wasted one-half of our first day staying out of the room for it to be cleaned and it never was! The maid arrived and my son asked for 1 minute to get his stuff so he could clear out and she never came back. We waited over an hour. I had to call to get them to come back. Meanwhile, we all wanted a nap very badly but were afraid we'd get disturbed, yet we needed the room cleaned.

The private beach was crowded and small compared to the quieter, wider public beach which was beautiful.

Overall, I was expecting superior service and quality for the price we paid and I don't feel we had that. I wish I had saved money by staying off the beach and just using the public beach.

Room Tip: Go to the much wider, quieter public beach and save some money with a hotel that does not have a pri...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank masstravelerwithkids
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

I am writing this review during the last few days of a two week stay at this resort, in February 2012. I am travelling with my wife. We are a couple in our mid-60s.

We are very pleased with this property. Our room is quite small, but well appointed with a full kitchen, free internet, a very comfortable bed, a nice bathroom. But, the best part of our stay has been the very warm welcome and service we are receiving from staff. They could not be more accommodating.

Apart from room specifics, I also want to note that the property is no more than 100 yards/meters from Siesta Key Beach, voted the most beautiful beach in the USA. Finally, the landscaping of the property is superb.

We will be most sad to leave here and would recommend this property without hesitation.

3 Thank Ottawan
Acton, Massachusetts
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,666 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

The Tropical Sun is part of the Tropical Shores resort complex. We stayed for three nights this month and weren’t thrilled. I wish I could rate it higher, because the staff is extremely nice. Our Sandpiper King room was suggested to us as lodging suitable for three, so we changed our original queen suite reservation to save money. And while the room is clean and functional, has a perfectly correct bathroom and kitchen, shows good taste in decoration and appliances, and offers a fully loaded, flat panel TV and a very comfortable bed, it’s not a place where I would have wanted to spend more time. Unfortunately, the room felt very small (even though we were assured that it was big by Siesta Key standards), our son slept in the pullout sofa-bed (we would have preferred a single bed), the walls were quite thin, and the only functioning windows overlooked the busy walkway leading to the parking lot. As a result, the blinds stayed down for privacy, and the only light in the room wasn’t natural. Yes, there were small box lights behind the master bed and in the bathroom, but they didn’t open and we couldn’t see through them, so they actually made the room feel more cell-like. Plus, since they couldn’t be covered, the morning sun woke us up at dawn’s early light.

The entire complex, including all the neighboring hotels and condos that one passes while walking to the beach, is clean and well maintained, but it’s definitely built-up and lacks the natural feel to which we had grown accustomed in Sanibel. Alas, we’re learning that few other places in Florida offer that type of charm and commercial restraint. Traffic around Siesta Key and Sarasota was pretty awful, but the choice of stores and eateries is hard to beat. It all depends on what you like. There’s no doubt that he area has a tremendous following, and this resort is rated near the top. The beach has the best powdery sand I’ve ever experienced, and the sunsets were glorious. Still, it wasn’t our cup of tea. If it is yours, and you are willing to pay a steep premium to hang out at what’s advertised as the nation’s #1 beach, then Tropical Sun (actually the most affordable one in the area we found) could be right for you.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
13 Thank Cherry_Wonderdog
PA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

My husband and I just returned from an overnight stay at the Sara Sea. This is a great little resort within walking distance to a beautiful beach. We were in a destination suite and it was wonderful, first rate. From the outside you get the impression that its an older motor lodge, that has been resided and has great grounds. When you open the door to your room its such a pleasant surprise. The rooms are beautiful, very clean and the beds very comfortable. All stainless appliances and leather sofa, done in a very tropical feel. Beach chairs and towels are supplied. We also used the heated pool, it was clean and well kept. We will return for a longer stay for sure!

Room Tip: We were in room 172, great location to beach.
6 Thank wendyman
Tr0picalSun, General Manager at Tropical Beach Resorts, responded to this review, 12 August 2012
We appreciate your comments and are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us! We look forward to having you return and promise we are committed to keep working extra hard to make your stay better and better each time! We always encourage you to call us directly to make reservations. We honor all on-line rates at the time of making reservations and will personally assist you with your reservation requests. Thanks again, for recommending us!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Siesta Key
1.2 km away
Hibiscus Suites - Sarasota / Siesta Key
7.2 km away
Sandcastle Resort at Lido Beach

Been to Tropical Beach Resorts? Share your experiences!