“A Pretty Good Stay”

Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Tallahassee
Harrisburg, North Carolina
“A Pretty Good Stay”
Reviewed 12 March 2012

My husband, myself and our 18 month old stayed at this hotel for 3 nights as we were in town for a wedding. We were so thankful they let us check in at 1pm since their check in time wasn't until 3pm. We were very appreciative of this so we didn't have to drive around after our flight. We had brought lunch with us and wanted to sit at the tables where breakfast was served but when we asked for a high chair, they told us they didn't have any. This upset me as our daughter had no to place to sit besides on our lap for breakfast every morning and lunch unless we go out everyday. I don't know how a hotel that serves breakfast does not have high chairs, I must of been the first person to ask. Breakfast was very crowded and we had to wait for seating one morning. The lines were long for the waffle maker, toaster and microwave besides the morning we checked out which was a Monday. The next day was the wedding so we were in our room getting ready most of the morning so we received a card under the door if we wanted to have our room cleaned to call the front desk. We were leaving for the wedding at 2:30pm and informed the front desk we would like our room cleaned anytime before we got back. We returned at 10pm to a dirty room without any clean towels so we had to call down to get some towels. We went the next morning to the front desk to ensure our room would be cleaned and to let them know that our room was never cleaned the day before. The woman stated that the housekeepers left early. I don't really think that the hotel housekeepers should of been gone before all the rooms were cleaned or that reason should of been given to me as an excuse. The room rate should include your room being cleaned. We paid $159/night for a suite but it really wasn't a "true" suite. There was no wall separating the living room from bedroom, there was just a desk. Our last morning the breakfast offerings were very low, no egg sandwiches or bagel choices. When I asked if this was normal, I was told they had 500 guests on Sunday and everything was eaten and the food truck hadn't arrived yet. Again, just another excuse of poor service. I really wanted to like this hotel but there were a few annoyances that got in the way. The common areas seemed very clean and the location was very convenient.

• Stayed March 2012
4 Thank vacation920

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (65)
Gulf Coast
Reviewed 5 March 2012

Stayed on Feb. 24th and had a pleasant stay. Hotel has just recently opened and the carpet in the hallways and rooms still looks and smells like new. Bedding and linens are clean and crisp but the bath linens were small as in most/all Fairfield's.
Staff was friendly. Breakfast area was clean and well serviced and food was better than average.
Parking area was well lit and felt safe.
Just a note: If arriving from the north on 319, after turning right onto Apalachee Drive, you will need to make a U-turn to arrive at the main entrance.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank PointAfter
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Because of the nature of my better-half's employment, she often travels to our state capital for a week at a time. I often will tag along and wander the sites of Tallahassee, so I've become very familiar with the area. We've stayed at several properties in several different locations over the years. When we traveled back up for a friend's wedding this weekend we were going to stay at one of our routine places. Then we saw the recently opened Fairfield Inn on Apalachee and figured we would take a chance.

The first reason was because of the location. It is right on Apalachee next to Capital Circle. There are lots of convenient shopping and quick dining options in the vicinity, with a CVS (and an ABC Liquor for those so inclined) just steps away. It's only a minute or so to Governor's Square Mall and perhaps 5 minutes from the hustle of downtown. Walmart and Target are a mere few seconds in either direction. And it's a straight shot to I-10.

The second reason we chose it was the price. For 2 nights after tax we paid $170, which was quite reasonable for a room with very comfortable a king bed, large flatscreen TV, iPod dock, microwave, fridge, plenty of space for unpacking and storing clothes, all the conveniences you would expect, and a roomy bathroom. If you're looking for a resort this isn't going to suit you. But if you're looking for a pleasant space to unwind and sleep, this is ideal. Also, the morning continental breakfast was full of choices. We've stayed at larger chains that had much less to offer. Here there options for just about every diet. The dining area was comfortable and clean. And the lobby area was spacious and welcoming, a very nice area to work or lounge in. Also, there was an onsite small gym (free weights, treadmills, etc.) and an indoor pool. Yes, indoor. Very nice. Parking is convenient.

The third reason we stayed here was because we read it was new. There is something about a new facility that just makes the stay all that more special. Everything was tip top and fantastic, and even so the cleaning crew and hotel staff were on top of everything and very attentive. I have to say that the staff was one of the friendliest I've met in the area. Tallahassee is a really friendly place, great people and a great town, but they were above and beyond here.

Negatives...hmmmm, it was hard to come up with any here, and the only thing I can think of is that there was no ATM onsite. However, McDonald's is a short walk away with an ATM in the lobby, and there are banks and credit unions just a few doors down in all directions. And if your main visit involves FSU or FAMU areas, this may be a little far for you, but Tallahassee isn't a huge area so I'm just being picky.

Fairfield Inn & Suites really makes me look forward to our next visit to Tallahassee. It was everything we could have hoped it to be and we were very happy with our stay. Plus, the 3:00p check in/12:00p check out was just icing on the cake.

Highly recommended!

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor. We were on the top (4th) floor and never saw another guest. They spaced ou...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Nafa
New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 February 2012

I had made a reservation at Hotel Duval on Monroe St., since I wanted to take advantage of the fact that there was a relatively snazzy hotel (or hotels, if you include Aloft) in a city the size of Tallahassee. But then I saw the Fairfield Inn reviews, and I was swayed by the fact that it's brand new, and that the price was a good 20-40 percent less than the other places.

Overall, I was pleased and have no criticisms. I can't say I was wow'ed -- it was a standard hotel room, albeit with a freshness that comes from having opened just a few months ago. It's conveniently located near restaurants, big-box stores and the mall. The capitol complex is a less-than-ten-minute drive. There's nothing too distinctive about it, but it's a very good option.

Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
4 Thank George_PConnecticut
Florida City, Florida
Reviewed 8 February 2012

This is a very nice, clean, and new hotel. Hotel staff was very courteous and professional. A group of us stayed there for a business trip and all of us were satisfied. We got a two bedroom suite, which had a sofa sleeper in the separate sitting area along with two flat screen televisions. It was very roomy and we liked the idea of having our own bed. I am very particular about where I lay my head at and searched for a while to find the right fit. The hotel lobby, lounge, and restrooms were clean, which is always a plus. Also, it did not have a stinky smell in the lobby. When we got to our room we were so pleased to find that it was clean like we had hoped. We probably didn't need to inspect the room any further; however, we did. We inspected our beds to ensure that our linen, pillows, and pillow cases were not soiled or dirty, which they were not. Of course, I bought Lysol and sprayed the room, door knobs, linen, etc., but the room was clean. We brought bathroom cleaner just in case, it was needed; however, it was clean too. The carpet floor had lines on it, which told us that it had been vacuumed. Both the refrigerator and microwave were clean. The free wi-fi and complementary breakfast was also a plus. Also, there were plenty of outlets throughout the room, so each of us had our laptops and cell phones plugged up. Overall, I was very pleased and will be returning next year around the same time.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank melpie25
Florida
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Just opened so everything's nice and new except the same customer service you would expect from a Marriott property. That just never gets old. Great location if your plans include a visit to the Capital or you want to be near the Mall, Kohl's or Target.

• Stayed January 2012
Lexington, Kentucky
Reviewed 27 January 2012

This new property was awesome (opened mid-December 2011). Centrally located, I had a suite that was spacious and efficient to do my work in. Located near about every restaurant and malls in the area, I found this property just right for my business needs. The staff was courteous and professional, has an indoor pool (I didn't use it though). Gets 2 thumbs up from me amenities just perfect.

Room Tip: My first time at this property but I was given a suite, would request one if you can.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business