“Excellent Food & Service”

Council Oak Steaks & Seafood
Reserve with OpenTable
Council Oak Steaks & Seafood is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #54 of 2,567 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Seafood, Steakhouse, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: Council Oak Steaks & Seafood is celebrating seven years of being one of Tampa Bay's BEST Steakhouses. This crown jewel serves only the finest cuts of dry aged prime beef and the freshest seafood from local waters. The award-winning restaurant recently won the 2014 Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, as well as the 2014 Wine Spectator Award of Excellence. Be sure to visit us to see why the restaurant was recently added to one of the most prestigious restaurant review guides, Zagat.
Reviewed 14 February 2015

Our first visit for an early Valentine's celebration. We made an online reservation for 5:45 P.M. We arrived about 10 minutes and only had to wait for a few minutes before we were seated. This was our first visit to the restaurant, and all the staff we interacted with were smiling, friendly and helpful. We noted that there are 2 sections to the restaurant; one to the right of the entrance which is a fenced open-area looking into the casino and includes the entertainment stage, and the other section is to the left of the entrance and is an enclosed area away from the casino smoke and noise. However, the noise level was still loud, but you didn't need to shout to talk. Our waiter, Dan, was great. He was efficient, friendly, and knowledgeable. I ordered the small filet cooked medium and my husband ordered the small filet butterflied and well-done. We shared a Caesar salad and asparagus w/Hollandaise. My husband also ordered a baked potato. The salad was tasty, but a little heavy on the dressing. The asparagus was good, but nothing spectacular. The steaks were wonderful, however, mine in the thicker section was cooked more medium-rare than medium. My husband's well-done was still pink in spots. The baked potato was huge; I think it could have fed 3 people. Several staff who passed our table also commented on how large it was. My husband order the cheesecake for dessert. It was a little dry and not very creamy. I make a lot of New York style cheesecake and his comment was that it wasn't as good as mine. We don't eat out a lot, but for special occasions we like to dine in a nice restaurant. We had a very pleasant experience at Council Oak and would definitely eat there again.

Reviewed 11 February 2015

I'm a young (late 30's), well dressed, successful business woman, who fine dines frequently with clients. I rarely feel the way that I did tonight because generally when you're paying $100 a person for dinner (without wine) you get great service and great food - that's why I trust reviews before I take clients out.

First when we walked in the hostess looked at me (and my two female companions) with disdain - but I can handle that, thinking it's maybe my imagination. Making us wait extraordinarily long, where my clients start questions what is going on - that's a little more frustrating.

Get to the table, the waiter was snarky, unprofessional, uneducated about the menu and the drinks. One of the dishes that was supposed to be vegetarian came out with meat on it and I had to actually get up, and get the manager to get it taken care of.

Barely a word of apology, and they didn't even take the dish off our bill! From that point on the service went WAAAY down. The waiter and the manager were laughing and joking around the corner and 'hanging out'.

My money spends the same as any man. I tip 20-22% generally. I travel all over the world and entertain clients at multiple levels of 'importance'. I, and my clients, should be able to go to a fine dining restaurant and get respect the same as anyone else.

Food - eh, I have had better. It was acceptable, and with decent service I would have never really batted an eye at the mediocre items.

Atmosphere - way too loud, having to yell to have a civilized conversation is not what I'm accustomed to.

8  Thank Sharla101
Reviewed 11 February 2015

Took my wife to Council Oak for a birthday dinner. Called and made the reservation several days ahead and when I made the reservation they asked if it was a special occasion I told them it was her birthday. We had been there several time before and enjoyed their great steaks.
This time was different, service was terrible, waiter acted as he could not be bothered, with us. The restaurant was VERY noisy as well. We split a large filet and it was not good, tough to cut, mushrooms were cold and very over priced. Worst of all my wife was not acknowledged for her birthday. Bill was over $100 and we had no drinks or dessert!
Paid a lot of money for a very bad meal. We will not be back.

4  Thank Jeff C
Reviewed 9 February 2015

6 of us reserved for a special Birthday party, and at the end of the meal, no mention of it,
no candles...had to tell the waitress it was supposed to be a Birthday event, so she brought
one small slice of cake to the table!! but she did bring 6 spoons!

Steaks were tough and not as good as some of the chain restaurants at horrendous prices!
I ordered the "Brick Chicken" as it was less expensive, but still expensive for a small piece of
chicken....and it was not like any "Brick chicken" I have had in the past...not bricked as far as I
could tell....AND...the top of the piece was loaded with spices and almost petrified!! almost as
though it had been made the day before and then reheated in the oven for my meal...it certainly
was not Fresh!! The side of asparagus was ample, but the side of garlic mashed was very
small and disappointing for the price....
Arriving home after another small amount of gambling, and losing once again...my husband and I both had horrible intestinal distress all night long, with the recurring bouts on the "throne"..
not a fun time after spending all of that $$$$ on a very mediocre and disappointing meal!!

Can't tell exactly what we ate that attacked us...the only foods that both of us ate were the asparagus with Bernaise sauce (was that the culprit??), the mashed potatoes, and the grilled mushrooms that were ordered for the table, and of course a spoonful of the cake !!

Not an enjoyable evening....absolutely will not return to this restaurant...used to love the buffet upstairs, but that is now less interesting and disappointing in the food quality also...

4  Thank bluemountain66
Reviewed 27 January 2015

between the FRESH COUNCIL OAK BACON and the steaks and Richard i'm not sure what the main draw is....

2  Thank melwar

Been to Council Oak Steaks & Seafood? Share your experiences!