“Great value- will stay again”

Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens
Ranked #47 of 163 Hotels in Tampa
Orlando, Florida
“Great value- will stay again”
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I frequently go on vacation and I have stayed at many hotels in this and the Clearwater area. This is by far the best experience I have had to date. The BEST thing about this hotel was the way it smelled. Usually hotels have one of two smells- cigarette smoke or cleaning supplies. I did not smell anything- which was a really nice surprise. The breakfast was great and shuttle service was a definite plus. Robert is a super nice guy who will take you basically wherever you need to go just chat with him. The hotel room was SPOTLESS. I loved the pillows, sheets, and mattress. Almost as nice as being at home. The hotel was packed and I could not hear anything through my walls or room. My only complaint, and this is a VERY minor complaint- is that I thought a heated pool was something like a jacuzzi. However, heated means around 77 degrees. This is apparently, though, the typical temp for a heated pool I am just a little naive sometimes. On my next vacation I will be staying at this place again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank khaleesi42
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Hello! Thank you for your review! We really appreciate all of you who come and tell everyone about your stay with us. I, too, am sensitive to smells, so I appreciate you speaking to your experience with the scent – or fortunately, lack of – in your room.

Sooo, Robert will take you where ever you want to go if you jut chat him up a little, huh… I will have to talk to him about that. Joking… He is a tremendous guest service provider isn’t he! We love having him here. He is kind and willing to do anything we need him to.

I had never had anyone make a comment on the pool temperature before. So I went and did some research online, and then called our pool company. You were right 77 is a little too chilly. Thank you for letting us know. I have had them bump up the temperature to a little warmer level. When you come back you will have to let me know what you think! We look forward to seeing you soon!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
  • Arabic first
Reviewed 9 February 2012

My family and I love the holiday inn express for several reasons. We love the location of it being so close to busch gardens. We definately love the breakfast they have to offer in the morning. We love the modern look and cleanliness they provide. We love the shuffle service they provide to the park and the driver is really nice. I think his name its robert. Its literally walking distance to olive garden and red lobster for dinner purposes. Over all A+++

• Stayed February 2012
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, 11 February 2012
Hello! Thank you for your very kind review! We appreciate the time you took out of your schedule to let our future guests know what you loved about our hotel! Hopefully you will be returning soon!
Gibson, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 7 February 2012

On February 2 and 3, 2012, my wife and I were visiting Busch Gardens with our adult son and stayed at the Inn for two nights.The service was at first great, the breakfast was wonderful, the shuttle service was exceptional, the rooms clean and well maintained, the desk clerks informative and helpful and our stay was generally very positive. However, upon leaving, I found an additional charge on my bill that I did not understand and when questioning the desk clerk, found that she did not understand it either. She suggested that I stop at the desk afterwards and speak with the manager who was not on the property at that time. I stopped at the desk an additional two times and was informed both times that the manager was still not in. Because we had to leave, I asked the clerk to have the manager call me to explain the additional charge. About two hours later, I received a call from the clerk who said that she had been in touch with the manager who instructed her to call me and indicate that the room rates had INCREASED OVERNIGHT and we had been charged the new rate for the second day of our stay, which amounted to about $25 more.
If this is the policy, I should have been informed up front and not after the fact. I DID NOT agree to pay the additional rate, but it was charged to my account. I am also disturbed by the actions of the manager. He/She should have called me instead of requiring the girl at the desk to do it. We will be more selective in where we stay in our continued travels. Our advice to fellow travelers is to watch out for overnight RATE CHANGES! The hotel manager did not take care of this problem.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Tallman_12
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, 8 February 2012
Dear Tallman_12. Please let me apologize for missing the mark with you in regards to how your concern was addressed. You are absolutely correct when you state the rate change from weekday to weekend should have been explained to you at check in. I take full responsibility for this oversight. I also take full responsibility for dropping the ball in not responding back to you personally. Here at my hotel, I coach my team members that they are responsible for any and all issues and guest concerns that may arise. They are empowered to take care of my guests, just as if I were standing next to them. All my team members are potential managers for our company, and I treat them with the dignity and respect of coaching them on how to respond to issues such as yours. I want them empowered to make decisions on resolving guest concerns. It isn’t fair to our guests to have to wait for a manager to call them back when you wanted a resolution right then and there. Our lack of response and adequate information for you is completely unacceptable, and I sincerely apologize.

I have reached out to you privately to resolve your issue, and left a message at the number on your reservation. I included my cell phone number so you will be able to reach me at any time.

Thank you again for your kind comments on where we met your expectations, and for your constructive comments on how we can improve.
Amherstburg, Canada
Reviewed 6 February 2012

This hotel really does look after their guests. Great customer service, well kept and extremely clean rooms, ample free breakfasts, lots of on-site car parking, free wi-fi, and is excellent value for money. Even though the hotel offered free shuttle service to and from Busche Gardens we chose to walk the 25 minutes. Would definitely be our hotel of choice the next time we visit Tampa.
Stayed January 2012.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Wow! Thank you so much for such a great review! We look forward to seeing you come back to visit us again. I love it when we get a review like this because it shows how much our hard work is paying off. We work hard every day to make sure we get reviews like this. Thank you!
Texas
Reviewed 6 February 2012

Things I liked about this hotel: Great location. The staff was very friendly. The hotel was new and very clean. I could easily walk to Olive Garden, Popeyes, or Red Lobster for dinner. The shuttle service was definitely above average for a Holiday Inn. Robert was extremely friendly and very obviously a people person. He clearly explained when the shuttle would pick up at Busch Gardens in the afternoon as well as provided the number to the hotel in case someone needed to call for an earlier pickup time. He also came in to work an hour earlier than his scheduled time on a Saturday morning to take me to the airport for my return flight. He definitely went above and beyond the call of duty. Service like his makes up for a lot.

Things I found to be issues: The bed was without a doubt the most uncomfortable mattress I have ever slept on in a hotel. It groaned and creaked every time I moved. I was very obviously sleeping in prior guests' body dents in the mattress which were clearly visible to the eye even before lying down. I could feel the mattress coils even though I am sure there was a pillow topper of some sort. Also, the pillows appeared to have some feathers in the which caused issues with my allergies. I woke up after a couple hours unable to breathe and with a swollen face. Luckily, I always travel with my medications. After the first night, I asked at the front desk if I could have a foam pillow. That pillow never arrived, so the second night, I rolled up my sweater and used it as a pillow. The alarm clock did not have a working volume control nor did the auxiliary jack work. The iron had a broken steam nozzle which prevented it from being able to be used as steam iron. The business center had only one computer and the printer wasn't working. To the credit of the staff, they were nice enough to print my boarding pass for me.

Despite the few issues that I had, I would still recommend this hotel believing that I simply had the bad fortune to receive a dud of a room.

Room Tip: Avoid room 202 if you need the alarm clock or the iron and until a remodel replaces the mattress or...
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled solo
Hello! First please allow me to sincerely apologize for the quality of sleep you experienced here. It is never acceptable to us for a guest to have an unpleasant night’s sleep, and for that I am truly sorry. I have personally reviewed your comments with my housekeeping and guest services department leads regarding the pillows and the lack of response to your request for an additional one. We are actively working to replace the deficiencies you described regarding the clock and the iron. I also have asked for our IT department to completely wipe and reinstall the computer in the business center. With all the use it gets, I think it is time to just wipe it clean and start over. I am happy our Guest Service team stepped in to assist you with your boarding passes.

Robert continues to amaze me and my guests with how helpful he is. I am truly grateful he is part of my team.

Thank you for taking time out of your day to let us know where we did well, and where we need to improve. We are only able to get better when we are told where we have fallen short. I appreciate the feedback!
Lyman, Wyoming
Reviewed 30 January 2012

We stayed at this hotel following a cruise and then spent two days at Busch Gardens with our children. The hotel itself was clean and nice. The complimentary breakfast had bacon, eggs, cinnamon rolls, pancakes as well as cereal, yogurt, fruit etc. It was a nice start to a day at the park. The reason I wanted to review our stay though, was how wonderful the shuttle service was. We have 8 people in our family, so transportation can be a big issue. Robert the driver will take you to or pick you up from the cruise pier, Busch Gardens, University Mall, and even the airport! This was huge for our family. I wanted to let other travelers know this, since I am always looking for a hotel that will shuttle to and from piers as well as the airport. There were also quite a few restaurants within walkin distance like Red Lobster, The Olive Garden, Burger King etc. For these reasons, I would definitely recommend this hotel!!

Room Tip: There are no amazing views, parking lots on both sides ;)
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank charblue7
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, 2 February 2012
Hello! Please rest assured our whole team appreciates you taking time out of your busy schedule to write a review for us. We share each and every Trip Advisor review and celebrate when one of us is named specifically! Robert has been a fantastic addition, and brings a new level of customer service to our team. Our goal is to be a Top 10 Hotel in Tampa this year. Currently we are number 38. Each week as more and more reviews are added we see our hard work and dedication to our guests increase our scores. It is a driving factor in everything we do. Thank you again for letting us know we did a good job taking care of you, and we can’t wait to see you again in the near future!
Reviewed 24 January 2012

Hotel was very clean and tidy. Its located in a great spot if you are intersted in going to Busch Garden which is within walking distance. We really enjoyed and appreciated our shuttle driver, Robert. He took us where we wanted to go, waited on us and was always on time. He was a people person, very easy to talk to and knew the area well; recommended great restuarants and places to see.
The staff (including housekeeping) at the hotel was wonderful and very helpful. We would most definitely book this hotel again!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AceS77
Ryan C, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express & Suites Tampa USF-Busch Gardens, responded to this review, 25 January 2012
Thank you for your kind review. Once again Robert has gone above and beyond in offering our guests great service. He is well and truly loved here. We look forward to having you stay with us again soon!