“Best Zoo Ever !!!!!”

Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo Admission
Ranked #8 of 198 things to do in Tampa
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Tampa’s Lowry Park Zoo is home to more than 1300 animals and famous for having one of the most beautiful, tropical zoological settings in the world. The Zoo brings together animals and visitors to create unforgettable, natural connections. Guests get closer to wildlife than ever before by touching a giant tortoise, feeding a giraffe, getting nose-to-horn with an Indian rhino, hand-to-fin with slippery stingrays and more! Families can also splash in water play areas, feel thrills on rides and take in educational shows. Love manatees? The Zoo is the only place in Tampa where guests can see Florida manatees year round. At the David A. Straz Jr. Manatee Hospital, the Zoo’s veterinary and animal-care staff treat sick, injured and orphaned manatees, and return them to the wild after rehabilitation. The Zoo also cares for the most diverse group of Florida wildlife anywhere, and has won numerous awards for animal preservation.
Reviewed 11 February 2012

My daughter who is animal mad found this Zoo and we visited on our tour of Florida.We have done the rounds of sea world animal kingdom and Busch Gardens but the animal mad daughter just couldn't get enough so we went to the Zoo. We had a fantastic day, this could have been because it was quiet. It is easy to find,just a couple of miles away form Busch Gardens. This is a Zoo,no rides just animals and they were very happy looking animals. Feeding the Rays was a joy as they were only a few to contend with.the underwater cavern for the Manatees was fab, we could have sat and watched all day although I had to drag my daughter away to enjoy the antics of the white tiger and baby wild cats. Even the restaurant was good with a wide variety of reasonably priced food. If you are looking for somewhere that is not as imposing as Busch Gardens and you love animals try Lowry Park Zoo, it more than met our expectations.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,246)

Reviewed 11 February 2012

I used to go to this zoo when I was a kid and every animal was maintained within the confines of a small enclosures. My how times have changed, the animals are given more of an authentic atmosphere to dwell...I love the bird "cage" where you get to walk among the many species...and, all the kids loved it!

Reviewed 9 February 2012

I've been to the Lowry Park Zoo a few times since I was a little girl, visiting our Florida relatives. This time we went with our 1 yr old daughter, and there is so much more than when I was young. This is definitely a wonderful zoo for young children. It goes beyond just the animals (which I personally love, but let's face it - the younger crowd nowadays sometimes needs more to burn off all that energy). There are so many kid-friendly spots (yay, family bathrooms! Tot-sized tables for snacktime! Fountains galore!). Lots of opportunities for animal interaction (giraffe feeding, lorikeet feeding, petting stingrays, petting zoo, koi pond, and even rhino feeding on the weekends). Easy to navigate grounds. And rides for the kiddos including in ticket price (which is, admittedly, pricey, so take advantage of everything you can!)

Other things that impressed me: when we went, part of the zoo was shut down for renovation. We got tickets for a future visit for our troubles. I was bummed about not petting the stingrays this trip, but that was such a nice gesture! I've been to plenty of places with maintenance going on, and you're basically just screwed out of value. This makes me respect Lowry Park Zoo, because they care about their patrons. Not to mention the animals! They are very well-taken care of, and the zoo is involved with conservation and rescue efforts. Also, the taco salad at the Garden Grille was pretty awesome.

Highlights of our visit: Our baby girl playing in the billabong fountains, feeding the giraffe, watching the gibbons and orangutans. One of the young orangs came right up to the glass and stared at us! Super-cool, because when I was a kid, one of the orangs came up to the glass, and put his hand on mine thru the glass, and I forever fell in love with apes. (Haha, that sentence sounds bizarre!)

1  Thank Dakota529
Reviewed 9 February 2012

We visit this zoo every few years. Winter is not the best time as crowds are low and it is not staffed in all areas--but still it is worth a trip. Free ample parking. You can usually feed giraffes and even rhinos, ride a camel, pet goats. Kids have a sprinkle area to play in so wear wet-clothes. Very walkable park. Penguins, pony rides, meercats also a treat. For a small city zoo it is wonderful.

Reviewed 6 February 2012

We went to the Zoo just before we went on a cruise. We had a great time. There were a lot of animals that I had never seen before, we must have spent at least 4 hours looking at everything! There were a few areas that were closed for renovation but they graciously gave us another ticket to come back when the areas would be open. It is one of the best zoos I have been to. I got lots of photos but the highlight was the newly born baby Rhino. He was running around having a great time in the pen which is a good size. He had everybody laughing. A must see for animal lovers.

Been to Tampa's Lowry Park Zoo? Share your experiences!