“A Hidden Gem Near U.S. Hwy 301”
Review of Mangu Latin Cafe

Mangu Latin Cafe
Ranked #412 of 2,706 Restaurants in Tampa
Cuisines: Latin
Reviewed November 29, 2015

It's the small café that is in the same plaza as the Hertz Rent A Car. It's so easy to miss. You have to make a U-turn to get to it if you're coming from Brandon. It's worth the extra drive.

We visited for lunch on a Wednesday afternoon. They had a small selection that day. With that said, everything we selected was amazing. Everything was fresh and tasty. I was hoping to get some arroz con gandules. They only had white or yellow rice. We chose the yellow rice. I thought it was going to be the same old plain yellow rice. I was wrong. It was moist and flavorful. I could even taste (and see) the fresh recao leaves from the sofrito. Mom had the black beans and I had the pink beans. Both were delicious with all the familiar flavors from my Ita's kitchen. My Puerto Rican mom was in heaven once she tasted her Pollo Guisado. It had huge cuts of dark meat chicken still on the bone. It was exactly the way she likes it. I had the chicken with mushrooms that was cooked in a wine sauce. It was all very good. Even the platanos maduros were cooked perfectly (sweet as can be).

I ended up ordering a couple of chicharones and a beef empanada to go. I just couldn't pass them up. I shared the empanada with mom later on that afternoon. She was so impressed with the amount of picadillo inside of it. They definitely don't skimp on an anything. The flavor was spot on. You can definitely tell that the owner cooks from the heart. I'm looking forward to going back there again. Hopefully we will have the pleasure of trying their mofongo or fried red snapper one day.

Reviewed November 4, 2015 via mobile

Great, authentic food. Very reasonable prices. Very good service. Nice atmosphere. I try to get there at least once a week.

1  Thank Dave S
Reviewed July 30, 2015 via mobile

Looking for good Dominican food in Tampa Bay? Look no farther. Small eatery with quite extensive hot meals including all staples of Dominican Cuisine. Some dishes are weekday specific. The true definition of authentic! They serve very large portions that can easily feed 2 or 3. They also have catering with hard to get items such as pastel en hoja. Quite a long ride for me, but they will be seeing me again!

1  Thank Claudia B
Reviewed July 10, 2015 via mobile

Awesome food, great people and a reasonable price! I visit this place about 3 times a week and never disappoint. Food always fresh made and tasty! Casual environment and clean. You won't be disappointed if you like latin cuisine!

1  Thank Lutzrvs
Reviewed June 22, 2015 via mobile

Came here for breakfast on my way to Orlando. I have to tell you that you must come to visit because it's so freaking good. It's a typical Dominican bakery with gourmet food from the Caribbean :) must come

1  Thank Angel J

Been to Mangu Latin Cafe? Share your experiences!