“EXCELLENT!”

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay
Ranked #3 of 164 Hotels in Tampa
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 28 April 2012

Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay is a beautiful hotel approximately 10-15 mins by hotel shuttle from TPA. Hotel offers great vistas of the bay and environs. The property offers 2 pools, many restaurants, multiple room options, and nature trails.

The trip began on the rocky side when I booked my stay through Hyatt Reservations and I mistakenly asked for the Hyatt Regency Tampa Bay...(different hotel and about 20 mins by cab away). After another call to Hyatt Reservations my error was graciously corrected and was rebooked at the Grand.

Check-in: The reception area is a somewhat cramped area between the lifts and the exits/bar; many people having to weave their way through and around guests at reception. Also Hyatt needs to promote the elite check-in line as the small nondescript glass sign is easily overlooked and ignored.
TED, the front desk agent that assisted me was fantastic! Ted was efficient, friendly and knowledgable about the property and its features. After explaing that the property was "fully commited" there may be a slight wait for my accomodation, he also offered other options in the property. After a brief wait (10 min.) Ted came to the lounge informed me (by name) that my room was ready, and offered his and his coworkers assistance in making my stay pleasant. **JOB WELL DONE!**

Accomdation: The room was on the 8th foor and turned out to be a large bay view suite. Room met the Hyatt perception of cleanliness, and appointments.

Grounds: Put this hotel in a resort like catagory. The entire property is well maintained with many secluded areas for sunning or walking. The 2 pools have lounges and cabanas with bars and plenty of seating.

Dining: At the bar and had the Tomato Avacado salad. YUM! Service was attentive. The only thing that would make the experience better: BRING BACK THE CHICKEN TORTILLA SOUP!

Full disclosure: I am a top tier member of the Hyatt loyalty programme.

Room Tip: The hotel runs a shuttle from the hotel to TPA every 30mins. Best to call hotel from airport so driv...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
HyattGuestRelations, guest relations associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review your experience with us. We're delighted our reservations department was able to correct the error with your reservation.It's always great to hear that your had a wonderful time at our hotel. We're delighted you enjoyed your bay view suite accommodations. We look forward to your next visit.

Chrissi R.- A Guest Relations Associate

Write a ReviewReviews (2,985)

Reviewed 23 April 2012

The Hotel 's Casita is a nice bugalow near the trail and pool. We were in town to see "Chicago" in concert. We decided to eat at "Oystercatchers" which is on the premise. The food was great and the service was outstanding. Donald was our server he was excepitional. He invited us back after the concert to treat us to dessert and share our concert experience. He then offered to take our photo developed it and put it in a card--- thanking us for our evening!
Wow what a outstanding dessert we had cream brulee and fresh fruit! Ask for DON

Room Tip: Casita are in the back of the property they are the original rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Serreala
Reviewed 21 April 2012

I had to Priceline a couple of nights in the Tampa area, and I was provided with the Hyatt Tampa location.

The Hyatt Tampa Bay is a modern hotel with exceptional facilities. It has clean, modern bedding and bathrooms, and its restaurant facilities are top-notch.

The largest drawback is the access. Their parkade is relatively large enough for rental cars, but pay careful attention on how to access Bayport drive. Due to recent construction on the Interchange, it's actually very easy to drive right by the hotel, without being able to turn around for miles. Fortunately, the Hyatt is fairly visible from anywhere on the highway, but pay close attention to the correct directions. Due to the location of the hotel, you'll have to drive anywhere for interesting districts in the Tampa area (e.g. downtown, Ybor, the other side of the bay). A car rental is a must.

I'm happy with this Priceline stay, and I would have no issues with returning here again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 April 2012

This is a very nice hotel with great views and easy acess to west tampa / clearwater area. My issue was no free wi fi $5 per day fee. Maybe most people who can afford to stay here can fluff off a few bucks per day. But to me this is standard hotel fair. Like a towel.

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I know I am writing this review late but after reading some of the other reviews, I feel it's important to give this property its due. I stayed here during Christmas week (Dec. 2011) as well as two other hotels in the Tampa area. I enjoyed this property as much, if not more than the Sheraton Sand Key. (OK, the Sand Key was on the beach but it was way more than twice the price of the Grand Hyatt) The Sand Key was also lovely but a different experience. My room at the Grand Hyatt was beautiful and spacious. The bed was very comfortable. Maybe I didn't get one of those worn rooms and bad beds but it's a moot point now that the hotel is being redone. I paid for a Club room. The breakfast provided in the club room didn't disappoint; not bacon and eggs but beautiful fresh berries and fruits, muffins, pasteries, juices etc, etc, etc. For the price I paid, I was blown away. Cost was unbelievably inexpensive for what I was getting. The lobby of the Hyatt is beautiful and was tastefully decorated for the holidays. It was impeccable. The bar was also great. Our waitress was a genuinely lovely person. I am from New York, so you can't shock me with drink prices, and I actually didn't look. The hotel staff (front desk, housekeeping, attendant in club room) couln't have been more attentive without falling all over you. I was always addressed by name at the check in counter. OK, so maybe they are trained to treat you like Ivanka Trump, but you'll feel it's genuine, and it probably is. I opted for late check out, 5 PM I think, which was a godsend, since my flight was late. The entire morning and afternoon, I enjoyed the meticulously kept and beautifully landscaped property. The boardwalk through the nature preserve was very pretty. I sat for a few minutes in the gazebo and contemplated the beauty and peacefullness of the bay. I watched native birds wade and search for food. My son and I walked down to the casita area and played ping pong on their sparkly clean man made beach. We plopped ourselves on lounge chairs there and chilled for a while watching the planes take off in the distance. We walked out on the dock for a view of the water. I admired the pool and deck area and spied the inviting hammocks. I walked though the casita area and admired the coy pond and tropical foliage. So, the bottom line is, the property is really pretty and well maintained, the staff is great, the room was lovely. I would have liked a full view of the bay but I believe most bay view rooms face the bay sideways. We are now making inquiries to have my daughter's wedding here, since her fiancee's family is from the Tampa area. I just loved it!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank LJS325
HyattGuestRelations, Guest Relations Associate at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 25 April 2012

Dear LJS325:

Wow! Thank you for going out of your way to share feedback about your recent stay with us at our Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay! We're delighted to hear how much you enjoyed our Grand Club, and the fresh produce provided with the breakfast is always enjoyed by our guests. We'll make sure to recognize the employees on the tremendous customer service provided during your visit. We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to our area again. Your referral is greatly appreciated!

Nick B. - Guest Relations Associate

Reviewed 14 April 2012

This is a beautiful property in a great waterfront setting. Alll 450 rooms are in the process of undergoing a much needed renovation to modernize them a bit and bring them to 2012 standards. This property was probably the pinnacle of luxury at one point and the lobby and common areas are still nice, but again, the rooms need updating and there are some cosmetic issues that also need to be addressed.

Room Tip: Ask for a waterview room or a casita.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank TheWoldIsNotEnough
Cara112, Guest Relations Manager at Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2012

Dear SoithMiami,

Thank you for your recent review. We are very excited about our total rooms renovation which will be completed August 1, 2012. The new room is described as Coastal Style, Redefined. We look forward to sharing the new rooms product with our guests soon.

Reviewed 10 April 2012

This was our second trip to the Grand Hyatt in Tampa. We were treated to impeccable service on all levels at this hotel. The location is very close to the airport but noise was not a factor. We were awake quite early due to some renovation, however, the staff fully informed us of this during our check-in.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear TravelGal,

Thank you for your recent review. The corner rooms are also one of my favorite rooms! We appreciate your patience during the renovation and look forward to sharing our new guestrooms soon.