“Hotel nice but not the owner” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of John's Pass Beach Motel

John's Pass Beach Motel
Ranked #27 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Sheridan, Indiana, United States
“Hotel nice but not the owner”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2012

We stayed from 12-22 to 1-1. Hotel great and clean ..owner not so great. Kids were swimming and owner said pool closed and started putting the cover on with kids in pool. Changed pool hours so his other lifetime friends could be accomadated. Ad said no pets..there were pets. We had a trash can right outside our door and everyday trash over flowing. Overcharged one of our family members and told him to bad. Owner said if we no like go elsewhere, he doesn't need the money. Never pay all up front only pay half then pay rest if satified. Thanks VG

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Vicky G

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

My family of 24 ppl have stayed in this area since 1993 during Christmas. We had originally stayed at the LaPlaya until it was torn down then at the Sands. My sister n family stayed at Johns pass beach motel on spring break 2011 & love it. We decided to give it a try for our vacation this Christmas. The facilities r nice but BEWARE of the manager/owner (not sure what Eddie is, we could never get a straight answer). He is the meanest, most money miser I have ever seen.
Only 1 light bulb in each fixture, the pool is NOT heated, the trash piles up in the room and by the dumpster, they do allow pets, and there is not WiFi. So most of what they advertise is FALSE!!!! Now on to the bad stuff..... Eddie n I ended up having a screaming match where he proceeded to call me a big mouth in front of my children. Here's why....I had had enough of him all week...once I ask nicely for him to turn up the heat in the pool and he screams at me while flailing his arms about that he paid $300 in 3 days on the pool heat and did I want to see his bill...our children were trembling and blue while in the pool and the outdoor heat was 60 at night & 75ish during the day. He shut down the pool every night at about 545 becoz there r no lights in the pool supposedly they r broken....so on our 8th night at exactly 540pm, our kids were in the pool and he starts rolling the pool cover over their heads!!!!!!! I was scared and mad at the same time which caused me to start screaming. It ensured from there as u can imagine and end ed very unprofessionally. We lost 1 night rental which he would not refund ( he actually stated "move on down the road"). Other minor inconveniences happened which r not so much important but if I were u I would not waste my vacation time here being on pins n needles becoz of Eddie!!! I told him I would be writing a review he said "he didn't care coz ppl would come anyway"...just goes to show his attitude. I got online to find the owner to make a report, I haven't heard back yet.

• Stayed December 2011
8 Thank bethailes

Travellers are raving about these Treasure Island hotels

London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2011

Well what an expirence, the manager/owner makes Basil Fawlty look extremelly tame, I made the mistake of leaving our bathroom window slightly open, I shut the door as I left the A/C unit on in the main area as the outside temp was up in the high 90's, rather than the manager/owner asking us politely not to leave the window open, he decided to raise the issue by shouting at us when our friends staying in the next room reported that their A/C unit had stopped working.

As we have both stayed here many times before we were ok with the basic condition of the accomadation for the price we paid, inccedently when we arrived to check in he tried to increase the rate that he had confirmed in advance, he did back down after he was challenged.

It's a great pity that the guy is such a lunatic, the Motel is in a great location in a fantastic Country with some glorious weather, I would strongly suggest that he puts himself on a basic customer care training course SOON.

Room Tip: for a minimum of a party of four i would recommend number nine
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank Gill J
Bracknell
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2011

Never written a review before but upon my return feel I have too, and I am not after 5 star service as some on here may think, I have stayed here before (10 years ago). But this trip just took the biscuit. I am very well travelled and have stayed in many hotels of differeing standards.
I booked this motel with friends who, as I have stayed before and yes it is cheap and its location is very useful, but the Foreign manager has lost the plot........... The weather was outstanding and therefore I adjusted the A/C to a lower temperature. On our return to the room I noticed it had been turned back up. This went on for a couple of days until the unit stopped supplying cold air all together so I turned it off for the night just utilising the ceiling fan.
Reporting the fact that the a/c was not working was the start of a triad of shouting, finger pointing and garbled abuse from the manager to me and my wife. He ranted that it shouldn't be adjusted and it was all our fault, even saying our friends had left a window open in thier room and thats why it wasn't working..... needless to say that we wont be going back...

There were others at the accomadation that also suffered abuse and wont be going back, one couple with friends had paid a deposit but were told on their arrival there was no rooms. (he'd given them to a group of blokes down for a football game).

Dont get me wrong the place is ok but needs to be run by someone who speaks a language that people understand and has an inkling about customer service....lol

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
6 Thank BracknellAndy62
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2011

We stayed here as a last minute change of location. Edward the owner was very helpful and made us feel at home. the apartment was large with a well appointed kitchen, Pool was just right, and a very short walk to the white sandy beach, you can see the dolphin's and the pass, lots of fishing. And have booked again for May 2012.
Plenty of car parking.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank athertonstan
Plant City, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

This is the worst motel I have ever satyed in the manager would walk in the room whenever he wanted, and when you tried to complain to him about it he would slam the office door in you face and lock the door. The manager/owner/hotlel keeper can barely speaks english. He makes you pay in full before giving you the keys to the room and then you find out no refunds. I have stayed at many hotels and motels in my life and I would honestly say this was the worst and for nobody to stay here!!!!

Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
7 Thank noel34564
Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

first and most important tip! "Stay somewhere else" If you even think about complainig to the manager/owner your in for a real treat! We have stayed at this motel in the past and even though its outdated for the price and location it was adequate. However are last experience was a train wreck! The room was the size of a closet, the ceiling fan was broke, the vehicle noise from the street kept us up all night and the floors were filthy. Even though it only took 5 steps to cross the entire room, my sock were black with dirt. I decided to complain the next day about the room conditions to the owner/manager. Boy what a mistake! He immediately started to scream at me going into a diatribe that I could not even understand. I told him we would be checking out after 1 night stay even though we had the room for a week. As we were packing our things to leave the manager/owner came busting into the room with a white towel got on his knees and started to wipe the floor. He then stood up and screamed "show me the filth" I then politely pointed out a big black streak of dirt on the towel and his reply was "Wash your socks better" and stormed out of the room! Please do yourself a favor and find another place to stay, no one should be subjected to the treatment we recieved. And by the looks of the reviews we were not the first or probably the last to recieve such treatment.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Treasure Island Ocean Club
#19 of 48 in Treasure Island
1.1 km away
The Tahitian Resort Treasure Island
The Tahitian Resort Treasure Isl...
#18 of 48 in Treasure Island
0.1 km away
Twins Inn & Apartments
Twins Inn & Apartments
#17 of 48 in Treasure Island

Been to John's Pass Beach Motel? Share your experiences!