“Spring Training + Beach Get-A-Way” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Sunset Vistas Beachfront Suites

Sunset Vistas Beachfront Suites
Ranked #6 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Alexandria, Virginia
“Spring Training + Beach Get-A-Way”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 March 2012

We came to Florida to see Spring Training baseball but our stay at Sunset Vistas Beachfront Suites (Treasure Island) was the highlight of the trip. The beach was beautiful, the pool clean and the staff friendly. Our 2-bedroom suite had a wonderful view of the ocean and was good size for 2 couples. The location is a short walk Johns Pass Village (shopping, restaurants, entertainment, etc.). Several other restaurants were also within walking distance. Had a great time at the beach and the baseball was pretty fun too! Will be back next year!!

The Bodenstedts (Virginia) and the Sweeneys (Ohio)

Room Tip: Request an oceanfront suite 3rd floor or higher - better views and less street noise
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank Patricia B
ghoch, General Manager at Sunset Vistas Beachfront Suites, responded to this review, 27 March 2012
Nothing better than catching one of many Spring Training games in the area. We are happy these guests had the opportunity and we appreciate the patronage and nice comments!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (429)
Carmel, Indiana, USA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2012

6 months ago I reserved our Sunset Vistas condo. Because we are light sleepers, I asked for a unit on a high floor at the end. Several times before we checked in, I called to ask a question. Each time, I was assured that my request was with my reservation. I even asked if the rooms were as beautiful as the one that shows up when you log on to their website. I was assured that all the units were beautifully decorated. Even though this unit was larger than what we needed (there were only 2 of us) & it was way more money than others, I thought since it was going to be so beautiful & tropical, I would go ahead with it. I was even told that if I arrived right at check-in time of 4PM, that would be best for getting what I requested. I was at the front desk checking in just before 4PM. I was advised at that time that our credit card would be charged an extra $60 a day for incidentals & refunded upon check out if they weren't used. When I asked for a list of the incidentals they charged for, none was available. The unit we were assigned was on the 5th floor (I was told there was nothing available on the 6th floor or on an end), right in the middle of the building, right off the pool elevator & directly above the bar. When I opened the door to the unit, the first thing that I saw was that everything in the living room was old, dark & scratched. The couch had an ugly dark brown design & was very uncomfortable to sit on. The one & only chair in the living room was so hard, you couldn't sit on it without feeling as though you had a board at your back. I immediately called downstairs to the front desk to express my feelings. This was not at all what was pictured on line or wasn't at the time and as far as Tommy Bahama style, I've seen some Tommy Bahama tropical design & this certainly didn't look like it. There were scratches on the wood on the one end table and on the end of the couch. This furniture was not new, only recovered. There is much wasted space in the kitchen. The bar stools as well as the chairs around the table had spots on the fabric of the seats. Steve, at the front desk, tried to be helpful & said I would have to wait until Saturday AM to talk with the manager about being moved. Saturday's manager, Briana, was nice & I was able to look at 2 different rooms, both of which were the same dark ugly brown as the one I was in. The drapes were also dark which gave the room an old feel. The internet didn't work, so we had to call again for help. We were told someone would call us about it. In the main bath off the kitchen, the switch to the fan was loose. The front bedroom had no hangers in the closet. The master bedroom had 4 wire hangers & we were checked in for 7 nights! The frig needed wiping out. The door to the balcony needed cleaning. The tile in the shower only bathroom looked like it was leaking in 2 different places & there was hair standing on top of the drain. The ice maker didn't work, ended up being broken, a part ordered & we were promised it would be fixed on Monday (when I asked about ice, they brought up a bag-unit wasn't fixed until Tuesday & we never received a call to advise). A washcloth in the bathroom was stained along the edge as well as a spot on the sheet on the master bed. The master bedroom night stand wood was chipped. There was a towel that had been stuffed in a ceiling level vent. On our first night a party went on until 2AM even though when I complained about that, I was told there is security on site, the pool is to close at 10PM & the noise ordinance kicks in at 11PM. On my 2nd day, I saw another unit with the same ugly dark colors in the living room. None of the rooms I was shown was on an end. All of the gulf front units are directly above either the kiddle pool area, the main pool area, the bar with a singer or tables & chairs near the bar where people congregate at all hours. I began talking with others who were checking out, asking them if I could see their rooms. One end unit was decorated in a beautiful tropical style so I asked for that unit only to be told it wasn't handled by Sunset Vistas. Another I asked about on the 6th floor, same story, not handled by Sunset Vistas. The DVD player in the living room had been unplugged, most likely by the previous resident & the remotes were not with the TV's they went with. The microwave was not clean. I asked about the closest grocery, was told it was open until 11PM & was 1/4 mile away. I drove down only to find it closes every night at 9PM. The bed pillows were very uncomfortable & hard. After Saturday & me asking about the other units that were not handled by Sunset Vistas, I never heard another word from anyone about changing our room. On Monday at 11:45 AM an alarm went off. I called the front desk to ask about it, only to be told to ignore it. I asked why the residents weren't notified & was told there was a sigin in the elevator. We had not been out yet that morning & the signs were NOT there when we came in the night before, so, we had no idea what was happening. On Tuesday at 6PM all of a sudden the internet isn't working again so we call the local internet provider only to be told that all the access codes are changed each Tuesday. Again, we were not notified at all of this. There were no booklets in the room to provide instructions for using the microwave, ice maker, oven etc. There was nothing to tell us about the nearest grocery or things to do. The elevator that was nearest our assigned parking spot was the one nearest the bar/pool/beach access and it was very slow at all times of the day & night. I picked up some brochures in the lobby upon check in or else I wouldn't have known anything. Steve made an excellent recommendation of a local restaurant, Middle Grounds Grill, for which I have submitted my thoughts separately. It was delicious. Overall, I felt as though this complex was a huge waste of my money. I did not feel as though my concerns about all the items in our unit were really cared about, even though by the time I went down to the front desk I had photos of everything I had mentioned to them, it didn't seem to matter. I will post these photos later. This is not a complex I would ever recommend. I was given a $50 credit on my bill for my trouble ~ no where near enough to make up for all the things we experienced. As I was checking out the last morning, I talked with another gentleman who had just checked in & he told me he had been upgraded to a 3 bedroom on the 6th floor for no reason at all and certainly nothing he had asked for. Go figure :(

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank DDDFJD
Thank you for taking the time to read this far! Our goal is to exceed expectations at Sunset Vistas, and we regret that, with every effort and most being declined, we could not turn around this guest experience. We find it rare that a guest would select accommodations by personal tastes regarding the color/pattern of the upholstery. Three different room locations were offered on arrival day and the next day. The reservation was booked 3months prior (not 6), and request was granted for an upper floor we cannot always honor a specific location. Management met with the guest to address issues the morning after arrival, offered touch ups, etc. the guest declined. There is a guest service directory (info) in every suite. The front desk has a large restaurant and activity library available. A two minute repair of the fire alarm was noticed at each elevator over 24 hrs prior. The property has 5 elevators available. The internet issue was not reported nor was there a problem with any other suite, streaming is not available. A large bag of ice was immediately provided. We have updated our staff on the change in closing time of Publix. While we regret any oversight by housekeeping, our staff was responsive and room change and special cleaning attention was declined. Regarding our décor, our new drapes are a soft green “willow” color, new durable upholstery will hold up to beach wear and tanning oils. The furniture wood/color is tropical style with rattan and louvered features in both of the bedrooms, living and dining. Drapes are yellow in the bedrooms and are lined to block out light. It is a busy Spring time at the beach and guests are enjoying the amenities. Security maintains a peaceful atmosphere. Entertainment is only during some afternoons and most guest feel it adds to their experience. We are happy to occasionally upgrade accommodations when they fit a booking pattern. I am always happy to hear from a guest prior to, during or after a visit. Reviews on this site are helpful to guests and management but it should be recognized that they represent a very small percentage of patrons of the property.
ontario
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

We stayed in the Jr. Penthouse. Check-in was good, room was ready, we got to check in early. The room was nice with a beautiful view. Parking underground was great. First problem was the internet. Ours didn't work. We had an ailing family member at home, & intended to communicate via computer. The front desk was informed immediately & had Bluemont the internet company call. Neither were professional nor helpful, and no solutions were offered to fix the issue. Was told it was the weekend, so probablly wont be fixed right away. Needless to say, it was a disappointing and frustrating start to our vacation. The issue was not resolved until repeated phone calls, going to the front desk on MONDAY and having the fellow there make me feel degraded to the point where I was so frustrated that I had to walk away in tears. Internet worked Monday night. Very poor problem resolution and customer service. For the price of a penthouse suite (or any room for that matter), I would expect more. I stayed at the Island Inn for less than half the price last year, and felt welcome and the service was superb. Sunset Vistas is sorely lacking in these areas. I had asked for some compensation, and none was offered. Second, maid service every two days -- only replace the soaps/shampoo if you ask. Also surprised that we didn't have any back up toilet tissue upon arrival either (have 3 girls), and again had to ask for this in a written note before it was replaced. There were dirty tissue and clothing behind the dresser in the bedroom. Upon checkout, I wasn't asked how my stay was. I will not be returning here. It was a great location, our children had fun, but it caused me frustrations and angst that are totally unacceptable for this type of establishment.

Room Tip: Higher floors are better I think. Penthouse is nice, although we really didn't see the huge dif...
3 Thank momof3sweetgirls2002
ghoch, General Manager at Sunset Vistas Beachfront Suites, responded to this review, 21 March 2012
We appreciate the feedback, and are happy that this guest enjoyed our location and property!
We regret the internet (provided free of cost) went down during their stay only affecting this one room. As was explained to the guest, the repair service would be in on Monday (the guest arrived on Saturday and departed on Friday). We encouraged the guest to use the available internet in the business center and the cafe. Unfortunately during their first two days there was no other room to move them to. Their internet was repaired that Monday as stated. On Tuesday morning our Operations Manager called the guest and again apologized, the guests were happy it was working for their remaining four days. No other issues were reported to our staff. Our housekeeping procedure is clearly disclosed and additional amenities, tp, towel exchange is always available upon request in addition to every other day replenishment. A rate check at the other property mentioned indicates a higher rate for a two bedroom suite, gulf front, with fewer amenities on the property.
Lawrenceburg, Indiana
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2012

We were very happy with our suite at Sunset Vistas. We had gulf view on the 4th floor and it worked out fine. The layout with 2 queen beds is perfect for 2 couples. The beach is beautiful!
However, when we checked out, I left behind some new items that I had just purchased. Nothing of great value, but all the same - new items! I emailed Sunset Vistas on Monday, then called on Tuesday. On Wed the housekeeping mgr returned my call. He told me that only one person knew if my items had been found and that was the lady who cleaned our room. The 2 of them would not be in together until Saturday, so he would check then. This just did not feel right to me, but I waited. Saturday afternoon came, so I called housekeeping again and was told that the items were not found.
I have no idea what happened to the items. The process is the main concern for me. It was not like I was asking if they found something by the pool. It was one room, they have our names, phone numbers, etc. I was careless, it was my fault. But it would be nice to see a little more customer-friendly process put in place.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank AmyLovesVacations
ghoch, General Manager at Sunset Vistas Beachfront Suites, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
We are delighted this party enjoyed their visit and everything that Sunset Vistas and our beach have to offer! We are very sorry about the missing items left behind. We DO have a policy, log and procedure for any item obviously left behind or of value. We make many trips each week to the post office to ship back items. Our staff is very good about turning it in and had our housekeeper realized the miscellaneous items left were of value, they would have been in our lost and found log. Unfortunately the items left did not and were thrown out. Many guests at beach resorts leave items rather that packing beachy items for their return. We are very sorry and will ensure our staff error on the side of saving items of question in the future.
Ny
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

We enjoyed our revent stay in our two bedroom suite with balcony overlooking the beach. Everything was clean and updated. Bathrooms and kitchen were fully stocked and they change towels every two days, more if you ask. The sttaff are extremely kind and helpful. All of this being said, if you stay here you will be staying in a resort that caters to families with young children. another positive. Is that eah guest gets their own parking spot. They also provide free wifi access which (for us) only worked in the bedroom closest to the door.

Room Tip: We were on the 2nd floor, on the left side. We had the last room closest to the beach, while we ove...
2 Thank barndoors
ghoch, General Manager at Sunset Vistas Beachfront Suites, responded to this review, 15 March 2012
We are delighted to receive such nice comments and that this guest enjoyed their stay. Most guests do see the value of the assigned parking space, and the family resort atmosphere.
United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

BEWARE!! All parking spots are assigned and it is mandatory to either parking in the assigned spot or out on the side of a major road. Something feel from the balcony onto our car and dented it. Not only did the operations manager refuse to discuss the issue with us. He insulted me by accusing me of falsifying the claim. We will never stay here again and neither should you.

4 Thank Marsha P
While we regret their car was dented, the cause was not witnessed and is unknown. It has been reported to insurance. Nothing similar has occurred in 6 years. Most all of our guests appreciate the free, convenient , reserved parking spot especially with scarce beach front parking! The Operations Manager did speak with this guest, did not avoid or accuse, and the GM has followed up.
Tampa, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 March 2012

We stayed at Sunset Vistas March 8th - 11th, Thursday night through Sunday. The hotel is right on the beach, so plus for that. The hotel rooms are in need of a renovation, and our 2 br/ 2 bath was in fact a 2 bedroom/ 1.5 bath.

The main part of my stay that concerns me, is the fact that your personal property is not safe on the grounds. They have assigned parking, and many of the spots hang over a set of balconies. In fact, in my space, the front half of my vehicle was sticking out underneath five balconies. On Saturday morning, I noticed that a dent the size of a soda can was on the front right quarter panel of my vehicle.

Two employees came out and took pictures and agreed it looked like someone dropped a can on my vehicle. They said the manager would call me on Monday with insurance information. Monday turned into Tuesday and when WE called the hotel, the manager said that we were lying about the damage, that it was already there, and that they are not willing to do anything to fix the damage.

The hotel designated that I parked in this spot, and because my vehicle was in the spot where they designated, damaged was sustained, and they are not liable.

If you value your personal property, stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
7 Thank SeminoleJP
We do regret that their car was dented (same party as the prior review). The source of the dent is unknown and this has been reported to insurance. Nothing similar has happened since opening.
Sunset Vistas is less than six years old, and many new additions have been added this year including drapery and upholstery. Several rooms have the required ADA accessible bathrooms and many guests prefer the very large shower. Our front desk staff would have been happy to select an alternative room had this guest requested it. Management has been in communication with this guest and we are very sorry they were not pleased.