New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Bilmar Beach Resort

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Youngstown, OH
“Perfect choice for our needs”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

Our stay was from 2/15 - 2/22/12 and we felt the Bilmar Beach Resort was an excellent choice as far as location and accomodations.

I would definitely recommend a room with a gulf view and a balcony, which we didn't get. I agree with the many other comments regarding the cleanliness of the resort and friendliness of the staff!

We loved the walking path along the beach - that was a nice bonus! Having two restaurants to choose from plus the many nearby was also a big plus.

The "Shells" building was fine with these exceptions. The amount of light coming through the glass block bathroom window at night was very annoying so we kept the bathroom door closed. Another issue was the lack of water pressure in the shower...it was more like a 'dribble'. Perhaps that problem was just in our room?

A couple other things I'd like to note - We were never given an extra roll of toilet paper so I'd help myself to the ones on the cleaning cart instead of calling the front desk.
Also, the little bars of soap we were given dissolved by day two and weren't replaced so I opted to buy regular size bars at Walgreen's which made more sense anyhow.

If you plan to make use of the closet you might want to pack extra hangars.

On the positive side, I loved having a fridge, coffee pot and microwave/toaster in the room. The bathroom was a bit small but the room itself was a nice size. The beds were quite comfortable and I appreciated all the extra pillows! WiFi was slow at times but not a major problem....I was happy to get a signal on the beach too!

Overall, we loved our vacation at Treasure Island and would definitely stay at the Bilmar again!

2 Thank sunshineYoungstown

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (679)
Niagara Falls
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2012

The Bilmar was better than expected, based on brochures. The key positives: exceptional rooms, hotel decor and palm gardens, warm pool and hot tubs, -- staff are everywhere taking care of every detail re gardens, cleanliness, you know you are somewhere different. Then on top of this is the exceptional customer service based on the attitudes of staff. Thank you. The boardwalk right outside is well populated with morning walkers, etc...and you will see why, this is about a 1.5 mile boardwalk. now the beach --- hmmm, 150 meters or so of well manicured white sand and shells lead you to the ocean (but it was 66 degrees in February). stay in the heated pool! Food was great in the breakfeast diner below, and the staff always delightful. Nice also to have several eateries and convenience stores (24 hrs) right across the street from the front entrance. CONS: Since we were doing pleasure and business north in Palm Harbor/Tarpon Springs, it is 30+ miles to drive and about an hour or so. I might have asked for shortcuts. The message is be prepared fior long drive if visiting the north side , for example Tarpon springs or Honey moon beach park. All said, we have no hesitation to return to the Bilmar. This is very likely your best bet on the Treasure Island strip.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank chucky2
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 February 2012

Recently my mother of 89 years who is frail and of very little vision stayed for the second year in a row at this hotel. She often requires assistance. She was always given the upmost help in anything that she needed. Just this past week she had a death in her family that required her to come back home. The staff was extremely helpful in getting her assistance in making a change in airline reservations. when she was leaving for the ariport the staff assisted her to her transportaion to the airport.

The room ceaning people did everything they could do for her to make life comofrtable. I can not thank them enough.

This is truly an example of what cutomer service means in the hospitality business.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Clinton, Iowa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 February 2012

We stayed at the Bilmar February 11-18 this year. As usual, the visit was wonderful. Michael and Shauna always make us feel welcome and appreciated. Our room was spotless and the housekeeping service was polite and professional. We like to hang out at Bazzies, the in-hotel restaurant and outside patio dining. The food is great and reasonably priced. The drinks are excellent and on special every day from 11-5. Sloppy Joe's adjoins the hotel and has wonderful food and drinks also.We have already booked for October 2012.

Room Tip: We always stay on the seventh floor with just the penthouse above us. We stay on the ocean side wher...
1 Thank oldteacher25
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

We just visited Bilmar Beach Resort for four days. At first we got a room at the second floor, with a very noisy icemachine just outside our room. We went to the reception and got another room right away, even though it was high season and they were fully booked. We enjoyed both the free wi-fire and the free available computers in the reception. The room was a perfect size, although we would have wished for some more kitchen facilities, when it said "kitchenette" but I guess it was just our interpretation that was wrong. Combined oven and a coffee maker was what we got. But it was okay anyway. The view from the room was fantastic. All rooms have seaview. There were to big pools and a hot tub. The beach bar was a great place and we really enjoyed our stay! Free parking as well, but no breakfast which would have been convenient. Would definitly recommend it!

1 Thank MariFax
Stoney Creek, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2012

My wife & I stayed here for 2 nights, Jan 30 & 31. We arrived at 10:00 am and were greated by Michael at the front desk. I can't give him enough praise for his excellent service, pleasant manner, and superb dining advice. As early as we were, Michael accommodated us by upgrading our room to one with a full kitchen in the main building. The Gulf
view and private balcony was indeed a treasure. Everything about our stay was fantastic. The room and beds were #1. Finally a "hot" hot tub. Upon checking out we had a nice chat with the GM and realized the hotel service reflected his management style. Thanks for a great stay

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Scott V
Berea, Kentucky
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 February 2012

There was loud music and partying all night, most nights. The walls at the hotel are paper thin! Two nights in a row, I had to call the service desk because of loud drunks. The first night (morning around 2:30 a.m.), the drunks were in the next room. The second night(morning around 2 a.m.), the drunks were outside under my window. One male was so drunk that he was yelling and declaring that he was going to take off all of his clothes. The service desk person sent out a "security" person. Twenty minutes later, I had to call again. This time, the same desk person informed me that "unfortunately they are guests here, also."

The bed in the room gave me great back pain and I had to take Advil every four hours while there. When I arrived back home, my back hurt for a week.

Parking was another problem, for the parking lot is quite small in size. I had to return to the hotel before dark in order to get a parking space. The service desk person informed me that there was a parking lot across the four lane boulevard. It was also a block away. I was traveling alone and did not want to chance parking so far away from the hotel late at night.

The Asian maid seemed nice, but twice I had to ask her for more drinking cups. One morning, she asked if I wanted my carpet vacuumed that day. I suspect she was supposed to vacuum it each day.

I will never stay at the Bilmar Beach Resort again.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Cilene108
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 15 February 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

It is with great disappointment that I have learned of your dissatisfaction with your visit to our resort last October. I wish I had the opportunity to address your concerns sooner as the entire resort team takes our guest’s comments very seriously and pride ourselves on prompt responses.

I apologize for the apparent after hour noise that disturbed your visit. We do have 24 hour security and maintain a strict policy of minimal noise after 11:00pm. The response from the front desk regarding them being “guests also” is not in alignment with our resort policy of 2 warnings before eviction. While this drastic action is extremely rare the City of Treasure Island is very cooperative with us when this becomes necessary.

I regret our beds were not to your liking. In addition to our full renovations in recent years we have replaced 100% of the hotel mattresses and box springs with top of the line national branded pillow top bedding enjoyed by most of our guests.

Parking at any beach resort can be a challenge and we monitor our west parking lot with attendants to protect the spaces for our overnight guests and offer temporary valet parking for wedding and dining guests. The lighted east lot, located directly across the street from the hotel is accessible by using the lighted crosswalk and safety flags provided by the county department of transportation.

Our policy for room cleaning does include compete vacuuming of carpets and mopping of tiled floors each day. I have shared your comment with the Director of Housekeeping and we will continue to monitor the compliance with this policy through our team of housekeeping inspectors.

Again, I do apologize for the areas of service where we did not meet your expectations. The resort staff and management team strives for exceptional service and take steps to correct insufficient areas when they occur. Your comments have been shared with our leadership team. As noted by almost 400 fellow reviewers our service and amenities exceed most travelers’ expectations and we would welcome the opportunity to regain your confidence should your travels bring you back to the Tampa Bay Beaches area in the future.

Sincerely, Clyde Smith – General Manager