“FUN-Definitely will Return-Worth the Value”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
Ohio
“FUN-Definitely will Return-Worth the Value”
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My family (2 adults / 4 children) stayed here for four days in April. This was our first time staying at The Bilmar, and frankly we were not sure what to expect. We chose The Bilmar because after staying at Disney for 3 days, we wanted to relax the rest of the vacation on a beach with a pool. The Bilmar was an easy 1.5 hour drive from Disney, and Treasure Island was rated as having some of the best beaches in the world. Plus, after the professional money takers at Disney, we were looking for something much, much, more affordable. To our surprise, the accommodations could not have been more convenient, nice and clean, and truly a "fun" place to stay. We really did enjoy ourselves at The Bilmar. First of all, the staff at The Bilmar were all extremely courteous and helpful. The set up of the adjoining rooms worked out perfect for my family (kids in one, adult time in the other) – and the view – the view is a special one - really wide beach and memorable sunsets (see the pic I attached of the view from our room, which I think most of the rooms at The Bilmar have this same view). But, most of all, what my family and I noted the most was that The Bilmar was “FUN” – I don’t know how else to better express our feelings as this truly was one of the “most fun hotels” I have visited (and I have been fortunate enough to visit some very nice well known hotels and resorts over the years). For example, Friday epitomizes what I mean –

Wake up and walk the boardwalk along the beach right out the door of the hotel; Eat Breakfast at Bassie’s which is on the beach and part of the hotel; Go to the wonderful beach in the backyard where the kids play in the sand for hours; Hit the big blow up slide on the beach; Admire the unique sand castle carving at the hotel (very unique and cool idea); Have lunch by the pool at Sloppy Joe’s (of the Key West fame, but much better food at this one); Go Parasailing in the afternoon; Swim at the pool from 4-8 pm all the while enjoying the live acoustic music being played at Sloppy Joe’s; Watch one of the most amazing sunsets; At 8 pm, move to the other pool at The Bilmar with the hot tub; Enjoy that pool and hot tub all the while watching the movie being played on the big screen on the roof deck; Go into Bassie’s and listen to Karaoke – some really good singing and some down right hilarious; Film my wife and daughter singing Karaoke (Van Morrison’s Brown Eyed Girl) – now that was worth the whole trip and falls into the hilarious category (they never did that before, but as they said they got caught up in the vibe); Go back to the other pool and listen to some more live acoustic guitar; Around 10 pm, walk down the Beach Boardwalk to Super Scoops and Beach Snowballs (great ice cream and excellent sno-cones - must try the sno-cone, not your normal sno-cone); Return to the room – put kids to bed; Forgot something in the car and while walking out to car listen to the music coming from Ricky T’s across the street; Even watched fellow guests of The Bilmar standing on the balconies dancing to the music; Nice comfortable bed to sleep in . . and quiet!

Really is a “fun” and well run hotel (offering that many activities for us, most of it "free" too, can't be easy behind the scenes). Also, something I really had not experienced before over the years at other hotels, I met several local families that apparently come just to spend the weekend at The Bilmar – so I asked why? – they said because of all the fun it offers that I listed above. These local families I am speaking of all said the same thing – “you can’t beat The Bilmar!”.

So, while I realize “fun” is just a three letter word – I cannot think of better and more simple way to give my highest compliment – We truly had so much “FUN” at The Bilmar - and it was so easy for us as parents. It is all right there. Kids were happy having fun and even us adults were able to have our fun too - which is key in my mind. So, I would definitely (and I have been since I have returned) recommend to friends and family to stay at The Bilmar. Frankly, we want to go back ourselves. For the value, can't beat The Bilmar . . . as even the locals told me. (BTW, this is the first review I have ever been compelled to write, so hopefully you know where I am coming from and this "tip" helps you as well)

3 Thank TravellerDavidD

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (758)
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My friend I stayed here for five days in April. The entire staff is friendly, helpful and accomodating. Bazzys restaurant has an amazing staff who do not just serve you, but become your friends away from home. Best omellettes ever! The cleaning stafff is seen cleaning something all day long. Our room was perfect. All oceanviews here. Cannot beat it for the price. We will be back again and again. Nancy and the servers at Bazzys, we love you!!! Thanks!!!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank RachelM75
south WI
Reviewed 14 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a week ending April 6 for spring break. Mom had to work and gave green light for me to take our two sons for a week. I chose Bilmar because of prior tripadvisor user reviews. We had a great week and I would choose this hotel again. We used it as a home base to travel three straight days to the final baseball spring training games in Sarasota, Lakeland, and Dunedin. We rented a car and found all three drives manageable. Back at the Bilmar, we found dinner each night at six different restaurants all within walking distance. The beach here fit our needs well, with enough going on, yet found very few of the heavy-partying college spring breakers along the beach here, thus relatively tame beach and suited us fine. Having Publix and Walgreens within two blocks was very convenient, as it allowed us to stock up on water and other foodstuffs. The Bilmar room was a bit tight, but we managed fine. The staff easily accommodated our request for a rollaway bed, so we each had our own bed...hence the room tightness. Hotel staff met our expectations.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank appalachiantrailer
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We just returned from a great stay at the Bilmar over Easter Weekend. They went out of their way to accommodate our nine month old twins and three year old. Two pack and plays were set up in our room at check-in and a follow up call was made one hour later to if there was anything else we needed for our effenciency beach front room. Don't be discouraged by the bright yellow exterior color which appears to be an older resort, the rooms were all just remodeled several years ago and still have the new look and smell to them. For dinner we called down to Sloppy Joes for reservations, the hostess said there was an hour wait but she would call our room when our table was ready. After returning from an amazing sunset dinner overlooking the beach, Dolphin Tale was playing at the outside theatre next to the pool. When we returned to our room a one man band was playing at the resort so we sat on the balcony and listen to the music as the kids fell asleep in our lap. The next morning Breakfast was reasonably priced with kids eating free and served in ten minutes, with Easter gifts for the kids. Next time we visit the West Coast of Florida we will definitely stay at the Bilmar! See photos section for pictures of our room and the resort posted by iGrade.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach front Effenciency Room with balcony.
1 Thank iGrade
Topton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 12 April 2012

The grounds and room was very clean. The desk staff couldn't be more friendly and eager to please. The beach is clean and chairs were readily available for rent (reasonable) from the beach vendor. Both on site restaurants were very good and very reasonably priced. Located within walking distance of grocery, drug store, bars, shopping, and restaurants.

Grand Haven, MI
Reviewed 8 April 2012

I'd give this 4.5 out of 5 stars, if I could. We chose the Bilmar Resort for a number of reasons- "old Florida", many positive reviews, price, location and convenience among others- and the Bilmar met these expectations. Mid-century styled accommodations were very good. Restaurant and Cleaning staff were a 10! We'll definitely return.

Room Tip: We had a room (343) above the gulf-side pool and near the restaurant and the noise was very minimal.
3 Thank 3rdCoastHighlander
Houston, TX
Reviewed 7 April 2012

I'm now at the Bilmar and I'm really enjoying my stay. The beds are comfortable and the rooms are clean. My room with balcony looks right at the sundown. White sandy beach with plenty of little painful shells as you walk to the waters edge... which is a good trek but not too far.

The bathroom is small but the TV is big. Morning Coffee is served for free in the beach front restaurant and it's nice to sit outside early having that morning brew. If you like the beach experience, barefoot and bathing suits all day, and good food at Sloppy Joe's, then this is the place for you. Bring a kite and have fun in the sundown breezes.

Room Tip: Don't let them give you the room 347 nor 348. Your balcony looks out to the huge A/C units. Th...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple