“great location, worn out resort”

Bilmar Beach Resort
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Treasure Island
dljr60
“great location, worn out resort”
Reviewed 21 April 2012

The Bilar is located on the beach in Treasure Island: a beautiful beach. The room was ok but was worn. The room had a nice view of the pool and the Gulf of Mexico. So, we were fine because we were there for the beach more than the room. Treasure Island is a wonderful place to visit. Across the street from the hotel is a CVS. And there are a number of eateries within walking distance of the hotel. The pool is nice too.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the pool and the Gulf of Mexico make it worthwhile
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank dljr60
GMBBR, General Manager at Bilmar Beach Resort, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Dear DLJR60,

Thank you for making the Bilmar your home for your recent Treasure Island vacation and for taking the time to share your experience with other travelers. I am glad you enjoyed the beautiful wide beach and many dining options, Walgreens and Publix within walking distance. Also thank you for responding to my inquiry of the room number you stayed in. After a total renovation in 2006 we have since replaced all carpeting, bedding and many of the other amenities in each guest room. In addition to daily supervisor inspections we also have an aggressive quarterly preventive maintenance inspection designed to keep the rooms and public spaces in top shape. We will reinforce this effort to maintain our status as the landmark resort on Treasure Island. Thank you again. Clyde Smith – General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (782)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 April 2012

We booked Bilmar a day before coming as we stayed with relatives in Palmetto and wanted to be closer to the beach and have a pool. Michael at reception was very helpful and polite, made us feel welcome right away. Room was clean and had all the amenities. Had a bit of an issue with magnetic card lock, it stopped working from time to time. The only thing that was not ideal in the room was cleanliness of the shower head and plughole. All else perfect. Beach is literally at the door step, though you need to walk a bit to the waterfront, was not a problem for us. Relatively empty, beautiful sunsets, had brilliant time. Swimming pools are great and i had a shot of a whirlpool- bliss! Bazzie's is great for breakfasts, very nice staff. Didnt try Sloppy Joe as it seemed busy and we were travelling with an infant. Shops across the road- very handy. We stayed during spring break so lots of young people, one day woke up at dawn cause someone downstairs was blasting music out of speakers. This continued for half an hour or so... Was a bit noisy in general. All in all, very happy. We paid c$250 per night though which i believe isnt cheap. Will come again next time, if we can get a deal by booking in advance, otherwise there are plenty of resorts in the vicinity at the same beach.

Room Tip: With the door not facing the roudy bar across the road unless you are ok with noise
1 Thank lolkin
Iowa
Reviewed 20 April 2012

My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights. We were in room 741 and thought the place was awesome. We had a great view, the rooms were very clean, and the staff was very friendly. I loved the location of this place. It was walking distance to a ton of stuff and just in front of it was a suncoast trolley stop for the north and south route.

Not really a ton of stuff to say other then this place was great and I will be staying here in my future visits.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mbalmer19
Ohio
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My family (2 adults / 4 children) stayed here for four days in April. This was our first time staying at The Bilmar, and frankly we were not sure what to expect. We chose The Bilmar because after staying at Disney for 3 days, we wanted to relax the rest of the vacation on a beach with a pool. The Bilmar was an easy 1.5 hour drive from Disney, and Treasure Island was rated as having some of the best beaches in the world. Plus, after the professional money takers at Disney, we were looking for something much, much, more affordable. To our surprise, the accommodations could not have been more convenient, nice and clean, and truly a "fun" place to stay. We really did enjoy ourselves at The Bilmar. First of all, the staff at The Bilmar were all extremely courteous and helpful. The set up of the adjoining rooms worked out perfect for my family (kids in one, adult time in the other) – and the view – the view is a special one - really wide beach and memorable sunsets (see the pic I attached of the view from our room, which I think most of the rooms at The Bilmar have this same view). But, most of all, what my family and I noted the most was that The Bilmar was “FUN” – I don’t know how else to better express our feelings as this truly was one of the “most fun hotels” I have visited (and I have been fortunate enough to visit some very nice well known hotels and resorts over the years). For example, Friday epitomizes what I mean –

Wake up and walk the boardwalk along the beach right out the door of the hotel; Eat Breakfast at Bassie’s which is on the beach and part of the hotel; Go to the wonderful beach in the backyard where the kids play in the sand for hours; Hit the big blow up slide on the beach; Admire the unique sand castle carving at the hotel (very unique and cool idea); Have lunch by the pool at Sloppy Joe’s (of the Key West fame, but much better food at this one); Go Parasailing in the afternoon; Swim at the pool from 4-8 pm all the while enjoying the live acoustic music being played at Sloppy Joe’s; Watch one of the most amazing sunsets; At 8 pm, move to the other pool at The Bilmar with the hot tub; Enjoy that pool and hot tub all the while watching the movie being played on the big screen on the roof deck; Go into Bassie’s and listen to Karaoke – some really good singing and some down right hilarious; Film my wife and daughter singing Karaoke (Van Morrison’s Brown Eyed Girl) – now that was worth the whole trip and falls into the hilarious category (they never did that before, but as they said they got caught up in the vibe); Go back to the other pool and listen to some more live acoustic guitar; Around 10 pm, walk down the Beach Boardwalk to Super Scoops and Beach Snowballs (great ice cream and excellent sno-cones - must try the sno-cone, not your normal sno-cone); Return to the room – put kids to bed; Forgot something in the car and while walking out to car listen to the music coming from Ricky T’s across the street; Even watched fellow guests of The Bilmar standing on the balconies dancing to the music; Nice comfortable bed to sleep in . . and quiet!

Really is a “fun” and well run hotel (offering that many activities for us, most of it "free" too, can't be easy behind the scenes). Also, something I really had not experienced before over the years at other hotels, I met several local families that apparently come just to spend the weekend at The Bilmar – so I asked why? – they said because of all the fun it offers that I listed above. These local families I am speaking of all said the same thing – “you can’t beat The Bilmar!”.

So, while I realize “fun” is just a three letter word – I cannot think of better and more simple way to give my highest compliment – We truly had so much “FUN” at The Bilmar - and it was so easy for us as parents. It is all right there. Kids were happy having fun and even us adults were able to have our fun too - which is key in my mind. So, I would definitely (and I have been since I have returned) recommend to friends and family to stay at The Bilmar. Frankly, we want to go back ourselves. For the value, can't beat The Bilmar . . . as even the locals told me. (BTW, this is the first review I have ever been compelled to write, so hopefully you know where I am coming from and this "tip" helps you as well)

3 Thank TravellerDavidD
Reviewed 16 April 2012

My friend I stayed here for five days in April. The entire staff is friendly, helpful and accomodating. Bazzys restaurant has an amazing staff who do not just serve you, but become your friends away from home. Best omellettes ever! The cleaning stafff is seen cleaning something all day long. Our room was perfect. All oceanviews here. Cannot beat it for the price. We will be back again and again. Nancy and the servers at Bazzys, we love you!!! Thanks!!!

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank RachelM75
south WI
Reviewed 14 April 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for a week ending April 6 for spring break. Mom had to work and gave green light for me to take our two sons for a week. I chose Bilmar because of prior tripadvisor user reviews. We had a great week and I would choose this hotel again. We used it as a home base to travel three straight days to the final baseball spring training games in Sarasota, Lakeland, and Dunedin. We rented a car and found all three drives manageable. Back at the Bilmar, we found dinner each night at six different restaurants all within walking distance. The beach here fit our needs well, with enough going on, yet found very few of the heavy-partying college spring breakers along the beach here, thus relatively tame beach and suited us fine. Having Publix and Walgreens within two blocks was very convenient, as it allowed us to stock up on water and other foodstuffs. The Bilmar room was a bit tight, but we managed fine. The staff easily accommodated our request for a rollaway bed, so we each had our own bed...hence the room tightness. Hotel staff met our expectations.

Stayed April 2012
1 Thank appalachiantrailer
Reviewed 13 April 2012

We just returned from a great stay at the Bilmar over Easter Weekend. They went out of their way to accommodate our nine month old twins and three year old. Two pack and plays were set up in our room at check-in and a follow up call was made one hour later to if there was anything else we needed for our effenciency beach front room. Don't be discouraged by the bright yellow exterior color which appears to be an older resort, the rooms were all just remodeled several years ago and still have the new look and smell to them. For dinner we called down to Sloppy Joes for reservations, the hostess said there was an hour wait but she would call our room when our table was ready. After returning from an amazing sunset dinner overlooking the beach, Dolphin Tale was playing at the outside theatre next to the pool. When we returned to our room a one man band was playing at the resort so we sat on the balcony and listen to the music as the kids fell asleep in our lap. The next morning Breakfast was reasonably priced with kids eating free and served in ten minutes, with Easter gifts for the kids. Next time we visit the West Coast of Florida we will definitely stay at the Bilmar! See photos section for pictures of our room and the resort posted by iGrade.

Room Tip: Ask for a beach front Effenciency Room with balcony.
1 Thank iGrade