“This is not your "normal" Indian restaurant ”

Taal Fine Indian Cuisine
Price range: US$5 - US$30
Reviewed April 4, 2018 via mobile

From the comfortable dining room to the attentive waitstaff you will know this is a special place. This is not some curry joint and the prices are a bit high but the variety and quality of the food an exceptional. My wife and I ate our fill and still had enough to take home for a second meal the next night. If you love Indian cuisine....you gotta go!

Reviewed January 22, 2018 via mobile

We were headed to Melbourne Sunday afternoon for lunch, and remembered hearing good things about Taal, so in we went. We were greeted and seated by very friendly staff members. The restaurant is open and very nice. The buffet included several meat and vegetarian dishes. There was naan, and some terrific puff balls, I don't know their name. These terrific small golf ball sized crunchy treats were perfect for filling with a bite of your dish, or with some of the chutney or tamarind sauce available. I had a little bit of several items. I loved the goat curry. The vegetarian items were terrific. Some rice pudding, fresh fruit, and cake for dessert. Our lunches came to $27 before tip, a real value for a great experience.

Reviewed December 28, 2017

We decided to celebrate a birthday with a youthful Star Wars sequel and a more exotic early dinner. This was our second trip to this nice, neat and clean Indian establishment. At first, despite being the early evening, and only a dozen or so other diners, it took quite a while for our waiter appear to take our beverage order. I think it was because there were several delivery orders stacked up, being prepared, and sent out the door as we were being seated. Once we were attended to, the service was friendly and efficient, with our waiter patiently explaining some of the dishes and keeping our beverages topped off. My granddaughter had ordered a Hakka noodle dish which I had sampled last visit and liked very much despite its mildness. I ordered it with chicken and asked for it to be spiced up a bit. Our waiter wisely suggested that he bring me a side of chili sauce and I could adjust the heat. I did just that, the mild subtle taste of the Hakka dish was slowly transformed as I enjoyed the flaming chili. One in the party braving the lamb Vindaloo sampled the chili sauce and as I suspected pronounced it hotter than the Vindaloo- just wonderful! The lamb Madras was spicy and tasty, the chicken Korma judged very good and all the appetizers from the paneer tikka (mild fried cheese), the garlic and chili naan, to the vegetable samosas were good. We enjoyed the meal thoroughly and had a great time discussing the movie and my quickly approaching old age, as well as tasting each others' food. The atmosphere, food and service couldn't have been a better ending to a nice day.

Reviewed December 22, 2017

Had an appointment in Melbourne and friends had suggested Taal. We came in a bit late so the buffet was almost bare. There was just one server who was overwrought with the 15 diners. Apparently he expected everyone to get the buffet. We finally got a menu and ordered the chicken karma and nain bread. Both were excellent. We split a Kingfisher beer. We will certainly return, but next time for dinner.

Reviewed October 12, 2017 via mobile

I had been here once before several months ago for lunch buffet and enjoyed it enough to want to come back for dinner. We were there at 5:30 on Thursday evening and bartender and waiter were attentive. We were impressed with the quality of the food as well. Menu has wide variety with reasonable prices. Nice portion sizes. Atmosphere is very nice also. We will be back.