All reviews great location lifestyle center great bars and restaurants few minutes walk publix supermarket per day large living room full kitchen decent gym valet parking is kitchen area train noise clematis street valet service railroad tracks within walking distance high floor
Reviewed June 15, 2018

We stayed here in March 2018 for baseball spring training. Specifically for the Astros but the Nationals, Cardinals and Marlins all train nearby with other teams within an hours drive. Rooms are spacious with full kitchen and full size refrigerator. 5 - 10 minutes walking distance to City Place which has many restaurants, bars, shops and a movie theater. We also walked to the beach one day - about 3 miles round trip. Property was clean and the included breakfast was better than average. We'd stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor with ocean view
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 9pays3to2
Patricia M, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn West Palm Beach Downtown/CityPlace Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2018

This is wonderful to hear! Thank you for such a kind review. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed June 14, 2018 via mobile

Amazing hotel staff is very good and helpful. We had no problem with our 3 night stay here. Breakfast is great and breakfast staff is very prompt with keeping everything clean and full they even remove your plates when you are finished felt like being at an restaurant. Our room was very clean and big.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Patricia M, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn West Palm Beach Downtown/CityPlace Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2018

Thank you for this wonderful review! We're thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and we appreciate you sharing your experience here. We hope to welcome you back again in the future.

Reviewed June 11, 2018

I originally planned to stay here for 3 days at the end of my trip visiting family. Unfortunately my plans changed due to the sudden death of my father. I had prepaid for 1 night so was able to change that reservation. I stayed here June 10th. The staff were fantastic and couldn’t have been more helpful. A special thank you to Lydia on reception who was friendly and efficient.
The accommodation was excellent, far too good for just 1 night as it’s geared towards longer stays. Big comfortable beds,and a great shower made for an enjoyable stay.

Stayed: June 2018, travelled solo
Patricia M, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn West Palm Beach Downtown/CityPlace Area, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2018

Thank you for sharing this review with us, Joel. We're sorry to hear about your father's passing, and we're glad to know our staff was able to help make your stay a pleasant one. Should your travels bring you back to the area, we hope to have the opportunity to serve you again.

Reviewed May 28, 2018 via mobile

Stayed here three nights and it was perfect for what we wanted. Nice big room, clean bathroom, and outstanding location. We were within walking distance of all the great local nighttime entertainment and restaurants. Would absolutely stay here again.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
Patricia M, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn West Palm Beach Downtown/CityPlace Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2018

Thank you for taking the time to share this review with us, Erik. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay, and we appreciate you taking the time to let us know. We can't wait to welcome you back again in the future!

Reviewed May 7, 2018

Looking at some of my draft hotel and travel reviews, many of them incomplete, I saw this one and I felt that I should point out the issues I experienced at this hotel so others can avoid them. I do not typically stay at budget hotels, but on this particular trip, I was going to assist my elderly aunt and thought it important to be in a place that was close to the island, but not so "stuffy" as The Breakers since I was alone. I chose the Residence Inn because it was an easy alternative: close to Palm Beach, but still over the bridge and in West Palm Beach and close to everything that I might need or want since I would be keeping strange hours.

The ONE star review I am giving this property is not because of anything except service - particularly management at the hotel after my departure (following the loss of my rental car keys at the valet and subsequent interaction with the hotel's manager). My stay was a year ago and these issues may well have been corrected, but to pretend this stay did not happen would be a shame. Originally, I gave this hotel a two-star rating, but after my rating of the Four Seasons at Ten Trinity Square in London, that stay could not rate lower or equal to this one.

The hotel is centrally located and is well-kept. I arrived in the late-evening and the number of people sitting outside smoking was a bit annoying given their proximity to the front door (staff, in uniform, was among them), but by and large, I did not know what to expect at this property and perhaps that is normal. There is no formal bell staff at this hotel and you have to find somebody to assist you with your bags (or schlep them through the hotel yourself) and that is annoying and something you would think they would disclose on their website, but they did not.

After checking in with the front desk, the woman at the desk was lovely and polite, I went to my room (I am disabled and requested a room that was close to the elevator - I spent 1.5 years in a wheelchair and am finally out of one, but getting around is difficult - I was told that because I booked with AMEX Travel (which contracts with some other travel company), I was not eligible for a specific room and had to take whatever they had available. I'd never been told anything like that before, but am not used to budget hotels and could not have been in a room more distant from the elevator. You would think no matter how your reservation was made, they would give people a room close to the elevator if it is what they wanted, but I was told it was up to the manager on duty and the manager on duty put me in my room.

My room was what was promised, though I think this hotel does a lot of talking about how great their rooms are and forgets about the little things. The towels are horrid and I went out and bought my own at a store the day after checking in (I bought enough to use for the time I was there) and the room - even for as new as the hotel is supposed to be - is already starting to look a bit dingy. That said, for the budget-nature of the hotel and for what was promised, the room and the service is what I would have expected. Internet at the hotel - depending how far you are from the front desk - is hit or miss and I really think they need routers on the floors to make the signal boost. If you are using your computer or mobile device, you may want to log in on your television (for Netflix and things like that), but can one trust that at a hotel like this? I'm not so sure.

Though it was convenient to have a kitchen in my room, I was taken aback and the way the hotel cleaned it. I have no problem doing my own dishes and things like that, but I do have an expectation that things start out as clean as I leave them (not that I would ever use something in a hotel room without washing it myself, but the state of things like the silverware and plates left a lot to be desired). The refrigerator was also not clean (as one would expect) and it appeared that my room was left unoccupied for a period of time because the smell was rather bad as well. I only ate frozen food in the room (and the occasional take away), but I did have water and other beverages in the refrigerator and it would have been nice to to worry about a MRSA infection based on cleanliness.

Overall, though, the room was clean and the people serving the rooms were friendly. My stay was fairly uneventful, though the valet only had one person working at it so my being on a schedule did not help things when I had to get to the valet to wait for my car longer than it took me to actually get across the bridge to do the things I was there to do. Things may have changed with more staffing, though, since I was there.

My original rating for this hotel would have been a 3.5 just based on things like cleanliness, towels, the general standard of refusing me a place near the elevator given my difficulty in getting around and things like that. Given my status (automatic I admit) as a Centurion Card member and benefits that I was not entitled to because I booked through AMEX travel and not directly with the hotel (something I'd never heard of before, but if those are the rules of this hotel, they are not very good rules since a person's hotel reward status is and should be what it is, not what it might be had the reservation not been made through AMEX (or any other trip finder), but that's their rule) - the hotel was in line for a 3.5 which I would likely have rounded up to a four.

THEN my departure morning happened. My flight was the first out of PBI in the morning so I asked for a wake up call at 3:00 a.m. and set a timer on my phone. I packed the night before (and no, they do not help you pack and you cannot pay somebody to help you), but I guess that is to be expected. I'm glad I did, too, because I came down in plenty of time to return my car rental and get to the airport for my 5:30 a.m. flight from PBI to LAX. It is check-out when the big problems happened.

The valet could not find my keys anywhere. I already had a semi-packed bag in the car (that would have ultimately included purchases I made whilst in south Florida where sales taxes are significantly less than Los Angeles. My plan was to make quick work of packing those items that included everything from clothing and La Prairie items to athletic socks in the nearly-empty bag I had in the car - it would have taken 10-mintues in the morning. I could not do that, though, because they couldn't find the keys. I spent more than an hour waiting for the valet to find my keys and by the time my flight was getting ready to close the check-in, the keys were still not found. One person helped find them and nobody did much of anything except continued looking in the same place hoping for a different result.

Finally, knowing how long it would take for me to get from east coast to west (and because flights were fairly full that day), I asked the hotel to get me a cab to the airport (it took ~20-minutes to get to the hotel, but I needed to leave the rental car to get my flight (presuming the hotel could find the keys). Had I not been flying first class, the person at the desk at PBI told me, I would not have been allowed on (thankfully, they were as horrified by the hotel's carelessness and took pity on me - I made the door closing by about 10-minutes and the desk escorted me through security).

By the time I got to my connection I called my rental company and made arrangements for the car to be picked up and all I wanted from the hotel was for THEM to cover the costs of shipping the items left in the car to me at my home. It was the least they could do. At some point during my connection, though, I received an email from my car rental company with the receipt indicating that the car was returned. How is that possible since I told the manager working at the hotel that morning (who only worked for the hotel for two weeks when this happened and who did not seek out advice or assistance from his general manager) that I would arrange for my rental car to be picked up by my rental company so long as the hotel made arrangements for me to get the bag that was in the car - AND THE PURCHASES I made whilst in Florida - out of the car and sent to my home? How could I have a receipt for a car return that did not happen yet?

Easy. Instead of packing the car and taking it to the car rental office, the hotel took it upon themselves to just take the car to the car return to drop it off. They did not even bother filling the car to make sure I was not charged a fee for fuel. Only SOME of the items were in the car and I had to pay for them to be shipped to me, but everything from my car charger to a Neiman Marcus bag with La Prairie moisturizers and other things like Brooks Brothers and Saks - were nowhere to be found. It was insanity AND on top of the hotel either stealing or losing my items from a rental car that they were responsible for, they blamed me and pointed to their valet policy (which is obtuse since I understand not being responsible for lost items, but not being responsible for lost KEYS and the car not being able to be driven and returned? That SHOULD have been on them and at any other hotel I've ever stayed at it would have been).

Talking with the manager of the hotel was a nightmare and she couldn't have been more rude, more condescending and I guess she is used to talking to people the way she did. She said it was ME who caused the problem because I didn't wait around for the car to be found. I had the CERTAINTY of missing my flight or the possibility of having a charge added to my car rental (that the hotel should have covered) because the hotel lost the keys to the valet-parked car in the first place. She didn't care and, instead, blamed me for the whole debacle.

Frankly, the way the hotel manager handled the situation was so bizarre that I called the corporate offices, but never heard back. They didn't care - why would they? It was not their stuff and I guess they are used to treating people the way I was treated. The dismissiveness of the hotel's "manager" (and I use the term loosely since she was the rudest, most awful woman I'd ever dealt with in my life) does a real disservice to the people who worked very hard to ensure the stay was actually fairly decent. I dread the notion of going back and since going back to Palm Beach since my stay at that hotel, I get a little bit of a pit in my stomach whenever I see the Residence Inn West Palm Beach in the distance. It was a terrible, awful situation that could have easily been solved with leadership from the manager, but she was more worried about defending her two-week manager on duty instead of figuring out why they thought it was their right to do anything with my rental car and/or having ME pay for their mistake and loss.

As an information only notation: I used AMEX Travel to book my room at this hotel and though I did not know it at the time, AMEX Travel uses Orbitz or some other search engine that causes one not to be able to earn rewards points for the stay. Even being a Centurion Card member makes no difference if you use AMEX Travel to make your reservation - your status as a Platinum member with Marriott does not transfer and you are treated like a bum off the street. If you dare to stay at this horrid hotel that has the leadership of a budget motel in Hollywood where you'd get a vibrating bed, be warned that nothing about your status changes the way you are treated - disabled or not.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
2  Thank Steve Y
Patricia M, Guest Relations Manager at Residence Inn West Palm Beach Downtown/CityPlace Area, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2018

Thank you for filling us in about your experience. We're very sorry that we did not exceed your expectations and we apologize for all of the trouble with your rental car. We will be sure to address your concerns with our team so we can learn from this.