“The real thing”

Chong Qing Hot Pot
Ranked #19 of 76 Restaurants in Chamblee
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed September 2, 2018

I ran a Chinese restaurant for almost a decade. Our food was good but not authentic. The owner of my restaurant introduced me to this place about 25 years ago. Whenever I want authentic Asian food I go here. The dumplings are amazing and the Kung pao is the best I have ever had. If you get a chance get some chili oil to go...it makes even mall Chinese tolerable.

Reviewed March 31, 2018

First, the China Town in Atlanta is very small, basically it is just a little shopping strip mall. The Chong Qing Hot Pot is inside the food court along with quite a few food court restaurants that sell spicy food. They have quite a large selections from hot pot, to stir fried, to soup to noodles. The price is more than reasonable. My wife who loves spicy food ordered the whole fish with spicy sauce, it costs less than $9 and I ordered the seafood hot pot. It was a medium size pot with long rice, assorted vegetables, small shrimp, squid, and chunks and chunks of tasty fish in a nice spicy broth. They even put it on top a small portable stove powered by a can of Sterno to keep it hot.Self serviced steamed rice in a big pot, also the hot tea and the egg drop soup and the hot and sour soup are also self serviced without extra charge. Over all, tasty food served fast and hot and reasonable price.

Reviewed November 16, 2017

It's been over a year since I reviewed this restaurant and I am happy to report that it is still as good as ever. Their General Tzo chicken is one of the best in the area and their other dishes hold up as well. A great place to lay back and enjoy good food at a good price.

Reviewed November 5, 2017 via mobile

This place is Fabulous. It’s the broth, they’ve got a really lovely, spicy, savory broth. Everything is cooked to the right degree too, it’s so easy to over cook fish but there’s is so nice. Top it all off with giant portions, I eat half and take the other half home, two large meals!

The hot pots ($10ish) are my favorites, seafood, fish, the chicken/pork hot pot is also very good. I like it medium spicy, the “very spicy” is almost medicinal, that is to say: feel a cold coming on or want to clear out the sinus (etc...), well you could not do better.

Sometimes the seafood hot pot comes out with 99 percent fish (still fabulous). There might be a piece or two of squid or shrimp, just to say its in there. On rainy days, the roof leaks. On busy lunch times, it’s hard to find parking and you might wait 20-30 minutes for your food.

All together, possibly my favorite hot pot spot in Atlanta and there are a few good spots.

Reviewed October 22, 2017

My wife and I have been a customer here since '04. A few years ago in '09 the ownership changed and current owner has chgd the food quality now to the point where I can only rate it 1 star. He has been down grading the food quality more and more as each year has rolled by.

Before my wife immigrated to USA she lived in Chong Qing for 2 years when she was a high school student, so she is real expert on good sichuan cuisine.

Under the old owner the chefs who prepared the dishes were actually from Chong Qing China and they knew how to cook the dishes the traditional way. When you ate these dishes you needed to drink water to enjoy the spicy flavor. But unfortunately, the old owner and his partner chef sold the restaurant and moved back to Chong Qing.

The new/current owner is also from Chong Qing but he hires chefs who speak spanish, not mandarin. Today, the wife and I ate there and both dishes had sugar in them and very little spice. The dishes did not resemble the sichuan dishes we used to order under previous owner, in any way. The dishes were pure americanized chinese crap dishes.

Eating here was a waste of our money. Next time we will visit our fav chinese rest [Unchle Zhu] in the food court at the new Jusgo Supermarket over in Duluth.