“Bad from start to finish”

Chop House At Laprades
Ranked #17 of 55 Restaurants in Clarkesville
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 30, 2017 via mobile

This place came recommended from someone who grew up knowing the name but who had not yet been; my mom. I wanted to check it out and get her a gift certificate for Christmas. Not happening. Arrived at 7:30 on Saturday evening. Had to walk through the patio to get inside. Wait staff standing around at front door, one of them drinking, not being of much help in directing where we were to go. Were seated in the dining room, which actually is very aesthetically pleasing with a fireplace and big glass windows over the lake, by a friendly waitress. There was only one other occupied table which should have been a warning (they blamed emptiness on the rain). Waitress took our order: she crab soup, prime rib med rare, daily veg, cheese grits for me and bison chili, prime rib med rare, daily veg, and mashed potatoes for him. She crab soup was mediocre, watery, very little crab, no depth of flavor. Chili was no better, being bland and lacking acidity and spice. Entrees arrived and looked nice but were not executed well at all. Cheese grits were room temp with unmelted shredded cheese on top. Daily veg of beets and collard greens wasn't prepared well and each bite included a healthy dose if grit which rendered the veg inedible. The prime rib was absolutely awful. It was not tender, full of gristle, and had Zero flavor. It was truly the saddest piece of beef I've ever had and tasted of nothing (seriously, it was pink but had no beef flavor and no seasoning). To add insult to injury, the kitchen was blasting the radio while banging and scrubbing every pot in the kitchen so our totally subpar meal wasn't even quiet. The bill for prime rib x2, a glass of wine, and a beer came to $58 before tip. Totally disappointing. Was looking forward to having a place closeby to eat when in the area visiting my mom.

1  Thank Jenna H
James R, Owner at Chop House At Laprades, responded to this reviewResponded November 2, 2017

Dear Jenna H,
I received your Trip Advisor post for my restaurant. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your experience with us. I've reviewed your comments with my management team and staff and have taken corrective measures to ensure these issues don't arise again. This is a slower time of year for us and there are no excuses for lax service. I hope you try us again in the future. Your next visit will be much improved.
Thanks, James Reaux

Reviewed October 19, 2017 via mobile

We Went for lunch. The She Crab Soup is delicious. BLT was good. Our service was very good. The Bison burger was very tasty! Great view of the lake.

Date of visit: October 2017
James R, Owner at Chop House At Laprades, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2017

Dear Roxanne H,
Thank you for taking the time to post a Trip Advisor review for my restaurant. I'm very glad your party enjoyed themselves. We pride ourselves on the quality of our food and service and it's nice to hear our guests positive comments. I hope to welcome you back to the Chophouse at Laprade's in the near future.
Thanks again, James Reaux

Reviewed October 13, 2017

Excellent restaurant with great view of one the most beautiful lakes lakes in North East Georgia. Has ample seating in inside and outdoor sections of the restaurant. Menu includes a variety of comfort food selections including burgers, steaks, tuna, fish and chips. Ample selection of domestic and foreign beer and wines. Good service, good food and reasonable prices

Date of visit: October 2017
James R, Owner at Chop House At Laprades, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2017

Dear jkriegsmann,
Thank you for taking the time to post a Trip Advisor review for my restaurant. I'm very glad you enjoyed your experience with us! We pride ourselves on offering great quality food and service in a relaxed upscale atmosphere. I'll be sure share your comments with the staff. Please visit us again in the future.
Thanks again, James Reaux

Reviewed October 2, 2017

I was surprised at the leisurely elegance of this place. I sat on the deck upstairs and watched the boats come in. Awesome. Then I saw huge burgers go by. I had to try one but on my next visit. I already ordered some potato skins. geesh. When they arrived all I could think of was the huge burgers that went by. Then I started to eat. OMG!!!! It was delish and I was not sorry at all. Then I ordered the Charleston She Crab soup. I did have to ask for the sherry on the side but they complied and it was like being in Charleston again. Especially on the water. All in all the food was tasty as heck (especially for the mtns.) and the prices were very reasonable. The service was excellent. Met the manager (Jim Carey look alike) he was hilarious. We had a marvelous time. Will definitely be back.

Date of visit: August 2017
James R, Owner at Chop House At Laprades, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2017

Dear Denise M,
Thank you for your recent Trip Advisor review for my restaurant, The Chophouse at Laprade's. I appreciate you giving us a "5 STAR" rating! We work hard at the Chophouse to make sure our food and services exceed our guests expectations. It's always great to hear from our customers. I look forward to welcoming you back.
Thanks again! James Reaux

Reviewed August 19, 2017

Very enjoyable dining experience.The food was delicious and the view of the lake was an added bonus.

Date of visit: July 2017
Review collected in partnership with this restaurant