“Away from IT all!”

Make Enquiry
Excellent
Rennaldburn ~ secluded waterfall retreat
Rennaldburn ~ secluded waterfall retreat
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Margaret...
Great Ayton, United Kingdom
“Away from IT all!”
Reviewed August 14, 2020 for a stay in August 2020

This historic house , built by Thomas Telford in his youth, is very remote in a beautiful valley. If you like birds there are clouds of them outside your bedroom window every morning. If you need rest, the beds guarantee good sleep. If you read, the library is wide-ranging. If you like art, it is all around you. Older children can be let loose to explore while parents lie in a hammock. Shen is a gentle and helpful hostess who even shares her garden produce with you!

Date of stay: August 2020
Your age range 65+
Pathfinde...
“Beautiful stay”
Reviewed November 27, 2019 for a stay in November 2019

Rennauldburn is a really lovely house with beautiful artwork all over the house and lots of interesting and quirky touches throughout, and we were made to feel most welcome. It's easy to hide away and have the place to yourself but Shen is available and happy to help. We will definitely stay here again next time we're up in Dumfries

Date of stay: November 2019
sarahlouo...
London, United Kingdom
“A magical place to spend some time and truly unwind”
Reviewed April 15, 2019 for a stay in April 2019

This is my third stay with Shen and it was so lovely once again. I always enjoy having some time at Rennaldburn, just being there feels like I am on a mini retreat from my busy life!

Its a very creatively inspiring place and has a good energy to it, its been lovingly created and decorated by Shens magical hands who is an artist, there are a lot of special hand-crafted touches to the interiors.

We rented the half of the house this time and there are many beautiful artworks for sale hung on the walls and in the rooms which make it feel like a living art gallery. Its cosy yet spacious and there is a great living space with books and games etc and a lovely kitchen to make food. Shen provides necessities like teas, salt etc so you have some good basics available for when you stay.

Shen is a great person to have a cuppa and a chat with and always so helpful if we ever need anything. Part of the magic of this place its definitely Shen the owner.

I would highly recommend it here, its surrounded by nature with its own waterfall and even though it has a feeling of far flung remoteness Eskdalemuir is actually very close to lots of amenities so its easily accessible.

Its a great place to stay if you are visiting the Tibetan Monastery too and this is always my first choice if I am taking a course there. I find that I get as much out of staying at Rennaldburn as I do of the courses I attend at the monastery! Its a very inspiring place : )

Date of stay: April 2019
22 Apr 2019
Thanks so much for your stellar review, Sarah!
So glad you both had a wonderful stay again ~ it was really lovely to see you and enjoy your relaxed and happy vibes!
Look forward to seeing you again at Rennaldburn soon :)
els5362
Deventer, The Netherlands
“Just lovely!”
Reviewed May 8, 2018 for a stay in May 2018

Shen is lovely, welcoming and easygoing, the house is a piece of art and the room and facilities are comfortable, clean and so cozy! Highly recommended!

Date of stay: May 2018
8 May 2018
Thanks so much Els; really happy you enjoyed your stay at Rennaldburn!
I look forward to seeing you here again :)
mangoblue...
Polmont, United Kingdom
“Warm Welcome, Great Facilities”
Reviewed June 11, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

My Mum and I stayed here for 2 nights recently while attending a workshop at Samye Ling.The location is very convenient if you have a car and need to stay outside the monastery. I just loved the place - the prior reviews are still relevant, as the house is beautifully proportioned, timeless, quirky artistic decor, very clean with very comfortable beds and good self-catering kitchen. I don't have a dog but was told one could be accommodated if it doesn't chase cats or sheep. This is in the middle of gorgeous countryside and a field full of sheep is right next door. We didn't request any breakfast but one can be provided. The rates are very reasonable. We look forward to visiting here again.

Date of stay: June 2017
Rooms Service
Travelling group: Family
3 Jul 2017
So glad you both enjoyed your stay at Rennaldburn so much!
It was lovely having you both, and I look forward to another visit :)
All the best,
Shen
a_bierman...
Ouarzazate, Morocco
“Best Holiday Let I have stayed in”
Reviewed August 7, 2016 for a stay in August 2016
person found this review helpful

We stayed with the family (two kids, 4 and 8) for three nights last week. Shen gave us a lovely welcome, and the place is magical. Quiet, in the middle of nature, and great to explore Eskdalemuir from. It's the best holiday let I have stayed in. Our little one was crying when we left, she wanted to stay longer. The kids liked the nooks and crannies very much.

Date of stay: August 2016
Value Rooms
Travelling group: Family
9 Aug 2016
I'm honoured by your accolade Andreas!
It was really lovely having you and your family to stay ~ I'm so glad it was a magical home from home for you.
Rennaldburn, Tashi and I will look forward to your next visit :)
All the very best, Shen
AyeWright
Scotland
“Magical!”
Reviewed September 29, 2015 for a stay in September 2015
person found this review helpful

I only stayed one night at Rennaldburn, and loved it so much I wish had been able to stay much longer - both for the wonderful and fantastic house and to explore more of the area. It's an old farmhouse with a touch of hobbithole about it - Shen the owner is an artist and her soul's touch is very evident all over the house and the property. You are forever discovering something new in all her marvellous decorations. The woodwork in the house is worth a visit by itself - it's as if it's been crafted by a disciple of Tim Steadman. The room I had was very spacious, comfortable bed - shared bathroom/shower/bath, but very clean. Rennaldburn is advertised as self-catering, but I was travelling without resources for that, and Shen was very accommodating, and provided a basic but satisfying (and vegetarian) breakfast. Very easy to find, just outside Eskdalemuir, on the other side of the village from Samye Ling, and an easy ramble to two standing stone circles. Very highly recommended especially for the traveller who likes the quirkier, off the beaten track kind of place. If you're staying any length of time here, there is a phenomenal library too - besides Shen herself being a great hostess with many stories to tell.

Date of stay: September 2015
Rooms Cleanliness
Travelling group: Solo
Your age range 50-64
1 Oct 2015
So glad you enjoyed your stay; it's great when guests really 'get' the special spirit here at Rennaldburn ! And many thanks for your original, tragic-history-steeped song in old Scottish ~ a memorable performance.
I'll look forward to another visit :)
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
© 2021 TripAdvisor LLC All rights reserved.