Kagyu Samye Ling Tibetan Buddhist Monastery and Centre for World Peace and Health
Review Highlights
My First Visit Circa 1974

I first visited Samye Ling around 1974. I was doing research for my book that would be published in... read more

Reviewed April 21, 2021
ipoian
Scotland
Samye ling

What a great place, so tranquil, so relaxing nothing too much trouble for the monks and lay people... read more

Reviewed April 23, 2020
Getaway786362
Wigton, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews tea room well worth a visit gift shop temple tranquil visitors johnston thoughts toilets
Selected filters
Reviewed December 3, 2014

This is a wonderful place to relax and contemplate, the monks are very welcoming and there is a tea room for a quick snack, the grounds are lovely and the location serene.

1  Thank prs54fmpu
Reviewed November 27, 2014

Samye Ling is the venue for many different residential courses. The atmosphere is as you would expect it to be, quiet, calm and peaceful. It is a Buddhist Monastery inhabited by Monks and Nuns, so don't plan to stay here if you want a posh en-suite, full Scottish breakfast and all the mod cons.
Accommodation is basic, but it is clean and warm - most guests who stay here expect what they get. Out of 50+ attendees on the course I did no-one had anything negative to say about their stay - it is a privilege to be able to stay in such a place and experience a different way of life.
Agree that signage currently is poor around the site, even more testing if you arrive after dark - if staying here definitely bring a torch in winter months.

2  Thank Lizzie L
Reviewed November 21, 2014

I found this to be an interesting place conducive to quiet contemplation.

The accommodation is basic but warm and relatively comfortable for the price charged.

I won't be in a rush to return, largely due to the reception on arrival, which kind of set the tone for our visit. As another reviewer pointed out, the signage around the place isn't great and on arrival we went in to one of the common (not private) buildings looking for the place to check in. We met a monk and when I asked him if he could assist us as we had reserved a room for the night he responded with a slow exaggerated hand clap of applause and a sarcastic "well done". It probably reads a bit humorous here, but imagine someone greeted you like that when you'd booked to stay!

I was with my friend from overseas, so it wasn't a great example of Scottish hospitality (although to be accurate, he wasn't Scottish but a white middle aged English man, like most of the other residents we saw).

For dinner we had soup which was delicious and great for us but maybe not so great if you have a big apetite or looking for something a bit more. Breakfast was grand- plenty of cereal and fruit to choose from. The only thing I found a bit disappointing food-wise was the cheap white sliced bread at each meal.

The cafe and shop are nice, but bit expensive, as other reviews note.

The general impression given is that the residents don't enjoy guests staying, but I guess they want or need the money the guests bring?

8  Thank Julie M
Reviewed September 19, 2014

We were told it was the end of the season and most of the volunteers had left (Sept), but I had hoped for better food than an egg mayonnaise sandwich on sliced white bread or cold pasties. All that wonderful organic prolifc salad stuff in the garden?! The buildings were done on the cheap and then heavily painted in gold and gaudy paint. The temple reminded me of Catholic churches; external show. Or like Disney Land. It was quiet and tranquil enough like all the countryside around, but I would much prefer to be alone on a hillside. Saying that they probably do a lot of good and I would like to think they would house troubled people if they turned up there, although it is so out of the way I don't now how they would find it. Everyone else I know has said it's a 'must see'.

Date of experience: September 2014
4  Thank satellina
Reviewed September 7, 2014

Kagyu Samye Ling Tibetan Buddhist Centre at Eskdale Muir was a stop off point on our way to Scotland.
It is a very colourful place with golden statues of Buddha and a magnificent temple.
You can take part in the contemplations if you wish and there is accommodation if you wish to stay.
Snacks, toilets are available and a basic shop for souvenirs, but as 2014 there is still much work to carry to make this a more interesting site

Date of experience: September 2014