“Terrible! ”
Review of Scottish Inn

Scottish Inn
Ranked #14 of 15 Hotels in Commerce
Reviewed 9 September 2017 via mobile

DO NOT believe any review you read that says this place is habitable. The rooms are NOT clean, the management DOES NOT care about your concerns, there ARE meth zombies walking around, there ARE bedbugs....should I go on?! This was the only hotel available in the state of Georgia when we were evacuating from Hurricane Irma. That should have been a sign. We drove 8 hours overnight and stayed here for 3 hours and left! The absolute worst hotel I've ever stayed in, ever. This place should be shut down but I suppose it serves it's purpose as a drug den just fine. If you care about your life and health, do not stay here.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 5 September 2017

It would be nice to have something positive to say so I will start with they had a working ice machine and a decent totally unsecured wifi. The room did have a working refrig and micro. The sheets had stains on them, the room was old and not very clean looking, and the tile floor in the bath was dirty. I carry disinfectant wipe so I wiped the rooom down good and brought in my own pillow. I asked for a clean towel and was given one that had been washed so many times I could see through it. There was constant traffic noise and I could hear everything and everybody on the sidewalk outside the room. I couldn't get a late checkout and that was reinforced by someone pounding on the door while I was in the shower at 10:30am followed by another pounding 20 minutes later.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 3 September 2017 via mobile

I knew what I was getting into for $50. I did not have high expectations. They didn't even meet them. Free continental breakfast consisted of 2 types of cereals and bad coffee. They wouldn't give us an extra towel, because only 2 towels per room and we ended up using one the night we checked in. The tv was barely watchable. The shower controls were barely working and the hot water was not hot. But for $50, the door locked and there was a bed, but don't expect much else.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Bruce L
Reviewed 27 August 2017 via mobile

This place was the most discusting motel I have ever been in.Front desk service sucked room was big time gross bed was gross went to fluff up the pillow and it just so happens it is a king size pillow from Holiday Inn in a standard pillow case and to make matters worse the pillow had black crap on it and it was all yellow Calling totally totally disgusting then I went to the front desk to ask for a new pillow and the like we don't have anymore so needless to say I packed my stuff up and went to the place next door very accommodating next door I went so if you're looking for good motel Days Inn and suites right next door from the gross Scottish inn

Stayed: August 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 25 April 2017 via mobile

This place was filthy and the service from the owner was unacceptable! Cussed us out bc we were not ready to leave when the housekeeping came around... I wasn't dressed when he burst into our room!! My husband had to ask him to let me get dressed first!! Ruined our day bc of his bad attitude.. NEVER EVER STAY HERE!!!

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Linda H
Reviewed 30 November 2016

We stayed at the Scottish Inn when we evacuated prior to Hurricane Matthew. We ended up there because it was the only pet friendly room we could find in a 5 hour radius of our home. Rooms were posted for $90 per night on their site but were $39 per night through a travel site. My review is based on my expectations of a $39 hotel. If I'd paid $90 per night, it would be much different.

I found the managers (managers or owners?) to be quite welcoming and friendly at our arrival as well as each time I went to the office. When we had a bulb burn out, he offered to come to the room and change the bulb. (Of course, I didn't need him to do that.) He asked about our dog and told a story about his mother's dog. I enjoyed speaking with him.

The room was run down, but functional. It didn't have a "clean" feel. This could have been because the carpet was very worn, the walls had dings in the paint, and the bed bedspread was well-worn. It could have been because there were several hairs on the bathroom floor and in the bath tub. It was probably a combination of the two.

However, sometimes you are able to make the best of things.

There is a Wal-Mart just across the street. Since were were going to be there for at least 3 days, we bought a set of sheets and an inexpensive blanket. We put them over the bed, bedspread and all, so I never actually saw the sheets. We covered the pillows, cases and all, in the opposite direction of the pillow case opening.

I picked up a couple of cleaning products and a pair of gloves and cleaned the door knobs, sink, toilet, bathtub, and all of the furniture. I also put a disposable table cloth on the dining table. After all of this, the place felt almost cozy. We just made sure to wear house shoes rather than walking on the carpet.

Our dog had his crate to sleep in, so he was taken care of.

As far as cash outlay for our "upgrades," it was about $45- $50 total. However, the sheets and blanket are things we have been able to re-use. At about $190 for the hotel (including taxes, fees, and a pet fee), plus $50 for supplies (most of which we were able to re-use,) we had a 3 day hotel stay for about $240. My family in Florida was charged $240 PER NIGHT at a discount hotel chain in Florida during the evacuation. Not being financially stressed by what could have been a comparable $775 or so hotel bill (with taxes, and fees), we were able to spend time exploring the area, including downtown Athens. We had some nice meals out at local establishments. And we had a decent night's rest on our new sheets.

Other reviews report bugs in the rooms. We didn't see any bugs. We were located in the front building, just down from the office.

One perk we didn't expect, but got, was free wi-fi. The water pressure was decent and the air conditioning worked. There was a microwave and refrigerator. (Although both appeared clean, I did disinfect them.) We were able to get a non-smoking room that actually didn't smell like people had been smoking in it. They were pet friendly for a one-time (rather than per-night) fee.

In short, we had a good experience with management and didn't see the bugs that were referenced in other reviews. We managed our expectations and made the best of our situation through a bit of creative shopping and elbow grease, so things worked out fine for us. Based on our experience, we would evacuate to the Scottish Inn again for $39 per night. But this time, I'd pack my own sheets and cleaning supplies and save $50!

Room Tip: Pack bedding and cleaning supplies, base expectations on a $39/night hotel
  • Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2016 via mobile

Room was in quite pitiful shape bed was very uncomfortable. Doorknob even come off. Sure would make me think about staying there again don't believe it was worth the money I paid for it I guess you get what you pay for

Stayed: November 2016, travelled on business