New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Review of Super 8 Decatur/Dntn/Atlanta Area

Super 8 Decatur/Dntn/Atlanta Area
Ranked #2 of 17 Hotels in Decatur
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good value for the money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

Great location in walking distance to downtown. Everything was very clean and functional despite being an older motel. It was very quiet even though it was almost full that night. Staff was quite helpful and friendly.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank dr5971

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Philly
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2011

My son and I needed an inexpensive choice for one night while we were finalizing his plans to move to Decatur. This place was perfect, and in some ways nicer than the more upscale hotel we had stayed in the night before in midtown Atlanta.
Confortable beds, clean compartmented bath, fridge and microwave in room, etc.
It's a 2 minute drive from the bustling downtown center of Decatur, and you can opt for a 15 minute drive into Atlanta, or jump on any of three nearby MARTA train stations for a quick trip into the city.
The continental breakfast was meager, but at these prices we would have been satisfied if no breakfast was offered.

Room Tip: Mentioning AAA got us a nice discount on our room.
  • Stayed May 2011
1 Thank kelb
Fort Mill, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2011

First off, I had quite a nightmare with booking this hotel. I booked online though the website, got my confirmation email, said I booked one room, 2 adults, double beds, non smoking etc.... then I noticed i was billed twice on my CC. I didnt see it being an advanced rate, but, that wasnt a biggy. I called and advised I was charged twice, and the hotel claimed I booked 2 identical rooms. I advised I only got one confirmation email and it stated I booked ONE room, 2 adults. I had to email them that, and once I did that, they took the second charge off. They also advised the rate given for Fri/Sat online isnt one they honor, and its going to be slightly higher. Ok, no biggie if that happens. A few days before my trip, I get a call saying that my reservation cant happen because theres no more rooms. I was very confused as I already made reservations weeks before. After a few minutes of going back and forth, the lady at the hotel was confused too. Apparently, they got ANOTHER reservation for the exact same room/days etc.... I advised I did NOT make another reservation, and I just need the one I originally made. So apparently, the system tried to reserve another room again. I checked my credit card, and there was no suspicious activities, and seemed like a mistake with Super 8's booking service.

The location of the hotel is GREAT! 2 blocks from the MARTA train station (maybe a mile walk, if that) and the neighborhood felt safe (we walked down to the diner and train station several times past midnight). Check in was smooth, and our room was very clean. Seems like they just renovated the room, as the bed sheets and such seemed new. TV got a fair amount of channels, USA channel got audio, no video, and a few advertised channels didnt come in at all, yet we had 2 spanish stations. Wireless internet was SLOW all 5 days, never got above half a meg a second, but it always worked. Forget watching a video, but browsing was ok. We woke up the next day and went to shower, and we had no shower curtain. I quickly told the front desk, and that night, when we got back to our room, a curtain was there.

We came back from dinner, and i only took 1 key card with me. It wouldnt open our door, so I went to the front desk (this was around 11 or 12 at night). I advised this card wouldnt open our door, and the guy started questioning me. He asked "you sure thats your room"? and "Wheres your other key card?" he basically didnt believe me, or, just was lazy. I got a new card and away I went.

Shower got hot water, nothing great, OK pressure. Microwave and fridge were outdated but worked great. I slept GREAT all 5 days, though my girlfriend woke up the first morning with bites on her. Once we got home she went to the doctor, but he wasnt sure what they were. I slept in the same bed, didnt have one bite, so Im not going to say its bed bugs, because I didnt get anything.

On our last day we got a phone call asking "Do you plan on checking out" at 10:45am. Checkout was 11. I hate 11am checkouts, as they are way to early, so I planned to leave right at 11am, as we wanted to sleep in. I checked out right at 11am like planned, but I felt it was kind of rude to ask that. Also, parking is LIMITED, and spots fill up fast!

Decatur is a GREAT town, and has a large bar scene. If your hungry, the Decatur Diner is one of the best diner's Ive ever ate at. Its a NY style diner, no hash browns here :) Fast and friendly service with great food and great prices. I highly recommend taking the MARTA train into Atlanta, and walking downtown.

Overall, it was a safe area, close to the train, I slept great and was comfortable, but I probably wont stay here again. I was very disappointed in many factors, and its not up to the standards ive come to know with Super 8, as ive usually been blown away every time I go to a Super 8. I never expect much from a Super 8, but as noted, usually am always pleasantly surprised. This time, I was just glad it was a clean and comfortable room.

Room Tip: Book through the hotels front desk, not online.
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2010

This hotel reminded me that you can't judge a book by its cover. Though the outside of the hotel looked sketchy, we opened the door to a very spacious, clean room. The bed was firm and comfortable. I'd forgotten my soap and shampoo so I appreciated the good quality toiletries that were provided.

The hotel was a short walk from downtown Decatur and located in a safe area.

The tiny bathroom probably could have used new caulking on the tub, a paint job on the ceiling to cover an old water stain, and bigger towels, but these are minor details and not bothersome. The parking lot is somewhat tight and requires some extra care to navigate, but we had no problem finding parking spots as we came and went. Plus, parking is free.

My boyfriend commented that the service was friendly when he checked us in and out.

For $59.50 per night, I felt I got a fabulous deal.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alminavl
Carthage, Missouri
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2010

This hotel gets rave reviews from me. A nice quiet location on a main thoroughfare. I've paid twice the price for half the value. Extra large room, freshly painted with a homey decor. It had a Mini fridge, microwave and coffee pot plus a sittling area and free wi-fi. The continental breakfast wasn't gourmet, but it was adequate. The Ice machine worked very well - an unusual circumstance in my experience. The hotel staff was pleasant and the location very good; 2 blocks to Kroger, 4 blocks to many restaurants, 4 blocks to public transport, and free parking . This motel had it all.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 January 2010

Wife had surgery at Dekalb Medical Center nearby so needed a place to stay. I was shocked to see how nice my room was. Very well maintained. Very clean. Bathroom was also updated and clean. Had minifridge and microwave which was nice. Hair dryer, coffee in room. Wi fi. Could not ask for more. I thought I was staying at one of the more expensive chains without the higher price. Breakfast was simple and adequate. Friendly staff. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled solo
Hebron, OH
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2009

Check in and out were both easy and the rooms were fairly roomy with clean sheets and towels. Small refrigerators and microwaves are in each room (Kroger is just around the corner if groceries are needed). WiFi is offered - it wasn't very fast, but it's free as are local phone calls. The continental breakfast was typical, packaged sweets and some bagels, coffee, milk and juice and bananas. We didn't see anybody hanging around the hotel that caused us to feel uncomfortable, but the front desk clerk standing behind me belching and burping while I was fixing coffee wasn't pleasant. Our toilet stopped up after the first use, and when my husband called down to report the issue he was told a plunger would be at the front desk for him to fix it himself. O-kayyyyy. All in all the hotel worked for us and for the price we would stay there again.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ccolor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Decatur
Poncey-Highland
Artmore Hotel
Artmore Hotel
#16 of 171 in Atlanta
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,498 reviews

Been to Super 8 Decatur/Dntn/Atlanta Area? Share your experiences!