Sweet Magnolias Cafe & Bakery
Ranked #23 of 267 Restaurants in Gainesville
Reviewed 11 May 2016 via mobile

It has been years since I have eaten here, but I decided to drop in today. I am so glad I did! The food was delicious, and because there are a couple of shops inside the cafe, it made my extra long wait before an appointment very enjoyable.
I ordered the "Rebecca's Famous Chicken Salad" on a croissant with a side of chicken noodle soup, and because they looked so yummy, a hello Dollie AND a coconut pecan cookie.
Everything was wonderful! I am very picky about chicken salad, and this one is perfect! I don't like a lot of mayo or celery, no onions, grapes or apples are good, and pecans are awesome. This one has been chosen by Esquire magazine as one of the best sandwiches in America. It has the perfect blend of chicken, mayo, grapes, light celery and grapes. They grilled the croissant just a little, and it was the perfect touch. The chicken noodle soup was a solid "B," a little closer to a Campbell's chicken noodle (with thicker noodles), but not too bad.
Now, for the desserts. They had several to choose from: cookies, brownies, cheesecake squares and hello dollies. Oh. My. Word. That hello Dollie is to die for!! Make sure you like pecans, and I do!! That thing is incredible! Ok, I could go on for days here, but I won't.
The cafe is almost like an open market, meaning there are several stores within the building; so, you can shop a little when you finish. They have a bookstore, a really cool leather/boots/accessories ("Purchase Effect") and an art gallery.
I was by myself today, and I had an extra hour after lunchtime to browse until my next appointment; so, this was a perfect spot for lunch!

Reviewed 18 March 2016

Right on the square in Gainesville, GA is a delightful cafe with seating inside or if the weather permits, along the sidewalk. They are known for their chicken salad and rightfully so. The chicken salad was delicious without being overwhelmed with mayo. The sides are to die for - try the carrot raisin salad or the broccoli raisin salad. I've had both and highly recommend either of them.

Reviewed 19 January 2016

we were in town and remembered when years ago this was the J.C. Penny store. The decor is nothing special but the food is. If it is during a busy time 11-1 you may have a wait of ten minutes in line to order but it is worth it. They have a good variety of unique sandwiches, salads, and soups so we ordered the Summer salad (strawberries, chicken, nuts and much more, the gourmet BLT on rye with a side of chili, and a combo summer salad and chicken salad sandwich. The portions of all items were very large tasty and brought out to the table with a smile within 7 minutes of ordering. Good Job......

Reviewed 18 January 2016

What's not to love about meatloaf? Especially a meatloaf sandwich. Their version comes with grilled onions, lettuce, tomato, mayo/ketchup, piled up on grilled sourdough bread. The combination is soooo tasty. The meatloaf-to-other-stuff ratio is perfect -- mine came with two slices of meatloaf. I'm not a flavored tea lover, but they always have 3 choice of tea: sweet, unsweet, and today was Peach tea. In the south, we love our teas, and Sweet Magnolia gives nice options. The sandwiches come with sides and I ordered pasta salad. Unfortunately, my pasta was swimming in too much dressing, but I did like the flavor and the feta cheese chunks.

Reviewed 16 December 2015

You won't be disappointed! Simply great food, great service, great atmosphere! Once you place your order your food is brought out to you within minutes. Can't wait to eat here again.