“Stay with caution...”

Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Hinesville
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Hinesville
Reviewed 17 July 2017 via mobile

My family was here for the weekend for our reunion. The location is good, there is a Wal-Mart Super market across where you can purchase foods to store in your room. We could walk to the park where our reunion picnic was held and there is a waffle house within walking distance. The buffet breakfast was okay and the cookies were good. Those were the good parts and now...the bad parts...

The hotel is very dated and not clean. I made the mistake of looking at the comforter and it was filthy. One day we didn't receive any towels and when I inquired about it at the front desk she questioned was I sure I just didn't miss housekeeping.

Also, the pool was broke the entire weekend and the elevator broke on Saturday. We checked out on Monday morning and the elevator was still broke.

Again, location was great but the hotel was horrible.

Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family

Reviewed 3 July 2017

While Country Inns and Suites has always been one of my favorite hotels when I'm traveling, the Country Inns and Suites in Hinesville, Georgia failed to meet the minimum standard of what I've come to expect from this brand during my travels. As we were checking in, the lady behind the counter told us that our carpets would be a little wet because they had just been cleaned that afternoon. I understand and appreciate the requirement to clean the carpets, but why not put us in another room with dry carpets. Sure enough, when we opened the door the musky smell of wet carpets accentuated with the heavy humidity of South Georgia greeted us. Nonetheless, we chalked it up as just an oversight by an inexperienced front desk person and decided to overlook the inconvenience of the odor and damp floor by putting the air conditioner on high to get the air moving and hopefully extract some of the humidity and odor coming from the carpets while we went to dinner. Upon our return, the carpets were still wet but thankfully some of the smell had dissipated and the humidity of the room had decreased. When my wife went to the bathroom to prepare for bed, she found no washcloths or hand towels. I went to the front desk and was told that they would bring both up to my room. After 40 minutes of waiting for the washcloths and hand towels, I went back to the front desk only to find that it was not manned. Upon my return to the room, my wife told me that I had just missed the lady as she brought 6 hand towels to the room and explained that there were no washcloths. I could not believe it. How could a hotel run out of washcloths? Surely, I thought, there had to be some sort of oversight by the night crew so I went back to the front desk the next morning and asked the day desk attendant for 3 washcloths. I was told that there were no washcloths available in the hotel. Other disappointments included our discovery of 6 long black hairs in the bathtub and black mold growing on the interior wall and ceiling above the shower. That night as I laid down to sleep on some of the thinnest pillows I've ever encountered, I happened to look up at the ceiling and noticed several cobwebs with accumulated balls of dust of varying lengths hanging from the ceiling. This hotel is time worn and in need of some rather extensive updating, but we could have dealt with those realities. Knowingly checking us into a room with wet carpets, no hand towels or washcloths, an unclean tub/shower, black mold on the wall and ceiling around the shower, the non-availability of washcloths throughout the hotel, and the cobwebs hanging from the ceiling are really inexcusable and not at all what I've come to expect from the brand of Country Inns and Suites. We're not picky people but this stay was a complete disappointment. Of note, the breakfast was good and well attended and all employees that we encountered were professionally accommodating and courteous. Which leads me to believe that the potential for excellence does exist but the training program at this property has fallen vastly short of its requirements to meet the standards one would typically associate with the Country Inns and Suites brand.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 July 2017

Rooms smell. Hallways are very hot. Breakfast and complimentary lemonade are terrible. Beds are hard and squeaky. Rooms smelled of mildew and very old ac unit. AC unit barely worked. We switched hotels in the middle of our trip to a better hotel.

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 June 2017

A/C and beds need update. Rooms very clean (we saw 2 different ones). Staff was wonderfully helpful, friendly and solved a problem we had very quickly. There is a 24 Hr Walmart Grocery store across the street.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2017

The room smelled awful, the shower head was broken and the shower curtain had holes in it. The details were neglected. It looked like they tried to spruce the place up but neglected all the details like making sure the shower head worked.

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 30 May 2017

I travel a minimum of 20 weeks out of every year for work and can't say I have ever stayed in a worse hotel. Every hotel in the area seemed booked solid so we didn't have much choice in where we stayed, I assumed since the room was so damn pricey for Hinesville, GA at $ 169.00/night that it was bound to be OK. Boy, was I ever wrong!

Check-in was ridiculous! Now we arrived fairly late at night, but there was already one person waiting at the counter when I arrived and it was 5 minutes before anyone showed to up who worked at the hotel. I suppose someone was on a cigarette break or drinking beer in the parking lot behind the hotel with guests.

Seriously, guests were sitting at the back door with it propped open and drinking beer when I parked.

I get to the room and while it was fairly large, there was a smell of body odor that permeated the room. It was like a wrestling gym or a men's locker room. Under other circumstances, I would have checked out, asked for my money back and went to a different hotel, but everything seemed booked solid and it was fairly late.

I don't know if this is representative of every Country Inn & Suites, but I would never recommend this location to anyone. Nor would I ever stay at this place again.

Room Tip: Pick at room at a different hotel! Any other hotel, would have to be better!
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Management response:Responded 31 May 2017

Skip1012 First I would like to apologize for no one being at the counter. I have associates do security checks and make sure the hotel is secure during their shifts. I would like to know more information as to the hour you checked in. This is so I can go back into records and see who was on and I can look further into this. I do apologize about the room. We work diligently to make sure all our guests are happy and with this review I see you are not. Did you bring any of this information to the front desk staff while you were here? I would greatly appreciate if you could contact me at cishinesvillega@gmail.com and give me further information about your stay and if you did speak to front desk staff.

Cathy S