All reviews bedroom villa driftwood beach driftwood bistro high tide full kitchen three bedroom the north end on site restaurant beach access family reunion island side bit dated ocean front historic district nice pool off season units
Reviewed August 1, 2018

We had a two bedroom oceanfront villa and the villa itself was very nice. Mostly clean except for the floors and one rug in the living room area but that wasn't a huge deal to us. It was just obvious it wasn't vacuumed at all. The ONLY bad thing I can say is there's little to no beach access. We chose oceanfront accommodations specifically to be able to walk out to the beach whenever we wanted but we could only access it at low tide around 5:30 in the afternoon and we had to walk over a makeshift boardwalk. We ended up driving a couple miles down to a better part of the beach at one point. I understand there was significant damage from the hurricanes the last couple of years but if we'd been made aware that the beach wasn't easily accessible we would've definitely chosen somewhere else to stay for that price which I guess is why we were told we would be able to get to it. I asked one of the ladies before making the reservation about whether we could easily get to the beach and she told me yes so I do feel mislead. Other than that we enjoyed the place but we most likely will not be back.

Room tip: Barrington Oceanside has the best view.
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank Stephanie W
Richard C, General Manager at Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2018

Good morning Stephanie,
Thank you for taking time to share your recent expereince at Villas by the Sea. I apologize for the oversight from Housekeeping and assure you that this has been reported in order to minimize any future occurrences. I also would like to apologize for the lack of adequate communication pertaining to the current situation with beach access.The rock wall barrier along the beach has always been in place and is now being fortified by the State of Georgia. Unfortunately, they only allowed one temporary beach access for the duration of this project.

We are looking forward to the completion of this work so that we can begin to rebuild all of the beach access structures that were destroyed by Hurricane Irma.

I do hope that you will again consider returning in the future for a more memorable experience.

Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

My wife and I stayed last week. The rooms was not very clean. Very outdated like its been 30 years since it has been updated. Bathroom base board below the tub was very rotten almost to a point that I could put my finger thur the wood. Hole in the floor coverd up by rug. Could not turn down the air temp below 70 degrees and being on the 2nd floor rather warm, at lest for my taste. Room below ours looked like it had not been updated in a long time also.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
3  Thank warren b
Richard C, General Manager at Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2018

Good morning Warren,
I would like to apologize for the conditions you experienced during your recent visit. We would have gladly made every effort to relocate you to more comfortable accommodations or correct the issues.
If you could contact our office at 912-635-2521 ext 607 and provide your name or villa number, we will conatct the owner to discuss the necessary improvements for this villa.

I hope that you will again consider a return visit so that we may be provided an opportunity to display the type of hospitality we are capable of providing.

Reviewed July 18, 2018 via mobile

We have stayed here for many years. We always enjoy our stay. The rooms are clean. The service has been a little lacking this year but not awful. The kids love the pool and the playground. We stay in one of the places with three bedrooms and are very comfortable.

Trip type: Travelled with family
Richard C, General Manager at Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2018

Hello Laurie and thank you for your comments from your recent experience at Villas by the Sea. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your visit and we share all of our guests comments with staff in order to continually improve with our services.

We hope to see you again on a future visit to Jekyll Island!

Regards,

Reviewed July 17, 2018 via mobile

We are staying here for 3 nights and the studio apartment has been perfect! An abundance of towels, comfortable Queen size bed, and plenty of space for 2. Our villa was ready upon check-in and we were greeted warmly. We have stayed at Villas By The Sea several times and we have never been disappointed! We appreciated the management letting us know by email about the work being done to shore up the beach after the 2 hurricanes last year.

Trip type: Travelled on business

Good morning Elizabeth,
Thank you for taking time to share with others your recent experience at Villas by the Sea. The State of Georgia is continuing with the beach repairs and they are scheduled to be complted with the new rock installation in the next few weeks. We then anticiapte the backfilling of new sand so that we can begin rebuilding the beach access areas that were destroyed by Hurrivcane Irma.

I do hope that if future travel plans call for a return visit to our area that you will once again select Villas by the Sea for your choice in lodging!

Safe travels,

Reviewed July 9, 2018 via mobile

We arrived 10 minutes prior to check in time. Our unit was not ready. I was asked to pay for condo unit in full at that time and they would call when cleaning was complete. No timeline was provided, no apology for the delay, no key was given.

We went to the beach, came back 30 minutes after check in time since no call yet (40 minutes after arrival). Staff did not know if unit was ready. It took them another 10 min to determine our room was ready (almost an hour after arriving). Staff was disorganized and did not communicate well.

In the meantime, while I waited on an update on the unit, the housekeeping manager proceeded to approach a family member with a separate reservation that had been upset when arriving and finding their unit wasn't ready. The housekeeping manager wanted to point out that no one should be upset by the "minor" delay and at no point did he apologize for the delay or inconvenience. My family member had been polite up to this point during this encounter with the office staff and was headed out of the office to his condo, key in hand. However, at this point my family member got rightfully upset with the now antagonistic housekeeping manager and raised his voice.

The person at the desk asked if "I was with him?". When I let her know that we were, she said that she was not going to let any of us stay there because he had been rude. He did not act rudely until approached by an unapologetic staff member who seemed more interested in making excuses and pointing out that he shouldn't be upset than making amends for a room not ready. I don't even know why this staff member approached him if not to apologize. The response by the staff to an upset customer was not reasonable or appropriate. Cancelling our reservations the day of arrival after payment in full was hostile and unhospitable.

There was no perceivable concern by the staff of the effect their actions had on our family and our vacation. Thankfully we found a friendlier and more hospitable place to stay a few miles away, and best of all our rooms were clean & ready on arrival!

Trip type: Travelled with family
5  Thank Jennifer P
Richard C, General Manager at Villas by the Sea Resort & Conference Center, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2018

Dear Jennifer,
I find your comments troubling, as you were not even present during the time your brother was berating the Guest Service Associate with "F" bombs, along with other guests with children in the lobby, due to a room being delayed until 4:15PM, which was 15 minutes past the scheduled check in time. (You even apologized for his temper upon your return to the lobby).

The security video of the situation tells a somewhat different version, but I hope that your future travels are safe and trouble free.