“Casual luxury”

Jekyll Island Club Resort
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Jekyll Island
Reviewed 1 March 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Jekyll Island Club Hotel on our second leg of a three city honeymoon tour. We stayed in a Jacuzzi room in the San Souci building. Our room was huge, and very well appointed. We had a king size bed that was comfortable enough...nothing amazing, a fireplace, a porch with two rocking chairs, a desk, two seating areas, a huge bathroom with a jetted tub, and a gorgeous view. I would say, upon reading other people's reviews, that your experience may vary depending upon what building you stay in. San Souci is located a short walk from the main building and it is very peaceful and charming. I would say it is worth it to pay a bit more for a nicer room...it will help determine the enjoyment of your stay. Jekyll Island Club Hotel used to be a hot spot for the rich and famous, and each family built their vacation homes near the main building...so each building is unique.

We only stayed on Jekyll Island for a few days, and we spent almost every minute walking the beaches, biking the trails, and exploring what the island had to offer. The island is quaint with a lot of history. There are bike paths all around the entire island, and you can rent bikes at the hotel to facilitate your desire for exploration. I woke up each morning and ran ,via a bike path from the hotel that goes along a golf course, directly to a great flat beach. Just thinking about how relaxing the island was, makes me want to go back. Don't expect a ton of activities, you make your own experience, but if you love exploring and the outdoors, along with a lot of relaxation, this is the place for you.

Things that you should not miss:
-Sea turtle center...5 minute walk from the hotel
-Rent bikes and explore the island
-Walk the many beaches...including driftwood beach
-Visit the chapel, 5-10 minute walk from hotel...has some gorgeous stained glass and a
lot of history

If you are on the fence about this hotel...stay here!!!! There is a casual bar/restaurant on the pier, a quick jaunt from the hotel, and there are several dining options in different locations around the resort. The staff was always friendly, but not overbearing, which I really liked. I can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: Upgrade to a suite or a jacuzzi room in San Souci...it will be worth it! Explore the downtown shops...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank spindalis

Reviewed 29 February 2012

The grounds of the Jekyll Island Club are unquestionably beautiful. It is truly peaceful, and if you are a bird lover, there are birds to hear and watch flitting between the stately trees. Just grab a rocker on the veranda and enjoy the show.

Our room was in the main building, with a balcony that overlooked the pool and river. Each morning, we had coffee on the balcony before going downstairs for breakfast. I could have spent all day sitting on the balcony enjoying the tranquility.

Beyond that, I am disappointed to admit that I do not have compliments. At first glance, the rooms appear lovely, but once we started unpacking, opening the windows to allow the room to air, arranging our toiletries in the bathroom, turning on lights, etc., we observed many condition issues. The ceiling had been patched too many times to count, a light was out in the bathroom, a glass sconce was chipped, the window in the bathroom was cracked, it was also dirty, whoever last painted the wood on the windows did a sloppy job because paint was all over the glass, it goes on. The room was shabby. My husband joked that "All maintenance requisitions are on hold until further notice."

Our first morning in the dining room, we were surprised when our server did not give us menus. She automatically explained the buffet, said, "Help yourself." and walked away. My husband commented that he did not realize that the restaurant only offered a buffet at breakfast. Me neither. We shrugged, and helped ourselves. When we returned to our seats, guests at the table next to us had menus. What??! Okay, so you have to ask for a menu? Lesson learned. The next morning we asked. We were satisfied with our meals in the dining room. The food was fairly priced.

The staff was competent; no one was overly friendly, nor did anyone make an effort to go "above and beyond".

I don't think I would give the Jekyll Island Club a second try. I would definitely never stay in the main building again, that is absolutely out of the question. But, the comments reviewers have made about the Sans Souci and the Crane are glowing. I wonder if that would right all wrongs? We really fell in love the with grounds, but we don't intend to sleep on the grass - right?

5  Thank Kathryn0
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Driving up to the Jekyll Island Club is breathtaking. The grounds are gorgeous, the hotel exterior beautiful, and the location is exquisite. The rooms however are another story. Peeling paint, dirty carpet, sinks in the bathroom that are no higher than your knees, and bedspreads that are worn and frayed. The king mattress gave both my husband and I backaches after the first night. We ask to change rooms but were told there were none available even though the valet told us it was 85% full. The anticipated Sunday brunch also did not live up to it's hype. Sitting next to couples in jeans and t-shirts when we were told beforehand that the dress code was "jackets suggested" for men. We were seated in the middle of the room beside the drink cart. When ask if we could sit near a window or on the porch, the answer was no. Those tables were never occupied in the 1.5 hour that we were there.

5  Thank borntotravel2012
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My sisters and I came here for a relaxing birthday weekend getaway, and found ourselves planning a return visit before we'd even left. Our rooms were quiet, comfortable and nicely appointed, though we spent very little time in the rooms because of all of the other amenities. Service was, without exception, excellent. We appreciated that the staff was gracious and attentive without being pretentious or snobby. The dining room and common areas were elegantly appointed, and the grounds were just gorgeous. I only wish it had been warmer, so we could have spent some time relaxing on the glorious porch. We very much enjoyed dinner and Sunday brunch in the Grand DIning Room, as well as the VIctorian Tea. Vincent's Pub in the basement was a cozy spot to warm up, chat with other guests, and enjoy a few adult beverages. Although we saw quite a few families with children, the hotel was large enough with sufficient kid-friendly activities that the children did not detract from the peace & quiet of an "adult-only" weekend. Although I was reluctant to take the trolley tour of historic homes, I was very pleasantly surprised. The gentleman leading the tour was a knowledgeable and enthusiastic historian, and gave us an appreciation for not only what we were seeing, but the stories and culture behind the historic homes. Our final treat of the weekend was a horseback ride on the beach - wow. Just wow.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank ElvisLoveChild
Reviewed 20 February 2012

The Hotel is steeped in history and is maintained beautifully. The staff is very courteous and hospitable. The room was large and well furnished. It is an expensive hotel but it was worth it for Valentines' Day and Night.

Room Tip: be sure to ask for the "out the door price", as there were add on's which were not men...
1  Thank ANNGREG
Reviewed 6 February 2012

We booked the Jekyll Island Club during their 125th year special as a post cruise treat. After driving up from Fort Lauderdale our post cruise slump turned into ...cruise, what cruise.
Just driving into the club along all the cottages took our breath away. We had a king suite in Sans Souci and when we walked in and opened the door to our porch I was overcome by the view and the sunlight that I think I actually swooned as I sank into my rocking chair.
Fortunately we booked for two nights so had time to enjoy the grounds, explore the island, get in some beach time (on a wonderful deserted beach recommended by the front desk) and just relax.
I agree with the other review about the sounds of the birds in the morning, a great wake up call.
We dined one night in the Grand Diningroom, when we played Great Gatsby with my husband wearing his tux.
We have stayed in historic hotels in the past and in general avoid typical chain hotels--even the posh names and we agreed that this experience was the best we have had.

Room Tip: THe King jacuzzi suites in Sans Souci are amazing. Ask to face the water.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 February 2012

My sisters and I stayed 2 nights at the Jekyll Island Club in January to celebrate our sister's 40th birthday. The rooms were comfortable with very nice beds, linens, and amenities. The staff was exceedingly helpful - from the front desk, the valets, the bartenders, the restaurant and waitstaff, and everyone in between. We met not a single unfriendly face in the place. The food was excellent - I highly recommend the Victoria Tea in the afternoon, the Sunday brunch (OMG seafood), and the little basement bar tucked in down the hall from the surprising Lions Club library. Two of my sisters got in-room massages that they raved about. Definitely take the trolley tour of the historic village - it seems cheesy but the guide obviously loves his job and lent some real interest to his descriptions of the amazing old homes, their restoration efforts, and the families who resided in them. Also highly recommend the horseback riding on the beach - just watch the jello-legs on your dismount! The scenery was stunning and horseback is an excellent way to take it all in. I can't wait to go back with my husband for a romantic getaway!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
Ocean Lodge
#5 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
1.9 km away
Jekyll Ocean Club, a Jekyll Island Club Resort

Been to Jekyll Island Club Resort? Share your experiences!