“Beach-based Campground” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Jekyll Island Campground

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Jekyll Island
Jekyll Island Campground
Savannah, Georgia
“Beach-based Campground”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2011

Wow ~ stayed at this campground with my parents as a teenager many years ago for a few summers in a row. Came back with MY teenagers and it was the best experience. Nice amenities, wonderful staff, and so many added site upgrades. The surrounding beaches, fishing piers, restaurants (Latitude 31). A must see is Historic District it is amazing, beautiful, and bike paths on campground & Historic Dist are grand! Take a sailboat dinner evening cruise, ride horses on the beach, or site-see...there's also a terric water park (Summer Waves) for the family ... small but plenty for a days entertainment!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
      Location
      Rooms
7 Thank LUVMESUMSB

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Savannah, Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2011

When arriving be sure to stop at the FIRST building, the signs are not clear and there is not a lot of parking for registering. But once parked the campground is nice, quiet and peaceful!! Its beautiful, shady and clean!! I read a lot of comments about the squirrels and raccoon being rude.... we only had one squirrel that wanted to check us out, never seen the first raccoon though. The island has really nice bike paths which tours you round the whole island so you see a little of everything. The only bad thing about this campground is the cablevision SUCKED and so did the wifi... but hey, it is suppose to be camping, right? Over all we had an awesome trip. I will definitely come back!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank leejane64
Thomasville, Georgia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

We stayed here for the Jekyll Island Beach Music Festival from Thursday thru Sunday. I read the reviews about the squirrels, raccoons and dust/dirt. This I can handle it's all part of camping. What I can't handle is the harrassment we received from the campground host during our stay. We were constantly told we were driving our golf cart too fast (which we were not) and we were told to be quiet. We came in around 12:00 midnight on our golf cart and the lady ran in front of us to tell us to be quiet and we were not even talking. They left notes on our camper, told us to turn out our outside lights. I guess this campground is for old folks who like to go to bed at 10:00 since quiet time/lights out was at 10. I thought I was back at camp during my elementary years telling me when to go to bed! In all my years of camping around the United States, I have NEVER been harrassed like I was here!
Also went to bath house around 8:00 am and it was closed for cleaning. Why would you clean at this time of the morning when most people are getting up?
We camped here in our 43' Fifth-wheel. We had trouble getting in our site because of all the trees. We had even more trouble getting out because you had to get people to move their vehicles because you have very little turning room. Not big rig friendly.
We had 9 campsites with a total of 21 people, and all said they would not be back because of the harrassment we all received.
My only positive note is the staff in the office was very friendly and helpful, just the campground hosts were unfriendly & rude.

Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
11 Thank Bret W
Orlando, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2011

The oak canopy is awesome--the whole place is well manicured shade (saw a cherry picker truck grooming them once every 7 days or so). Next time we'll be sure to get a spot closer to the back of the park, or along the sides...fair amount of vehicles coming and going along the main campground loop. Yes, they have poor-mannered squirrels. To the kids we saw feeding the vermin: please STOP! You make them more aggressive!
Overall, we enjoyed our stay very much & hope to return soon. Evening walks along the beach with my dogs every night was a fantastic treat! :)

Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank G_phelps06
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2011

Me an my family stop by Jekyll island on our way to VA an we seen a sign for camping so we stop by. We didn't have any reservations but the two girls atthe reservation desk AJ an Julia were very inviting an made us feel very welcome, Julia circle some site for our pop up camper an let us pick our own site that we wanted. When we got back AJ got us checked in an ready. The campground is very nice an the bath house were very clean am the showers were hott. We had cable an Wfi an full hook up, the cable was not working so we called the front office an they sent a worker named Ryan to fix our cable he came out within 2 minutes an fixed it right away! The next day we went to the beach an rode bikes the island is so beautiful the only bad thing was when ever we went to check out this heavy set lady was in the back eating an didn't bother to look to see if anyone was in there finally amber came in smelt like smoke yuck! But took care of me but not without a smile WHAT HAPPENED to the nice girls???? Over all a great place!

• Stayed August 2010
      Location
      Rooms
7 Thank runo24
Knoxville, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2011

The campground on Jekyll Island is perfect for families with children. It is a few steps away from a paved walking path, a short walk/drive from the driftwood beach, and the campground store has everything you will need (a bit pricey, but no more so than other campground stores-and they have free coffee, which is always a plus for parents). The staff was super friendly, and the bathhouse was always clean. The only inconvenience was the bugs, bring plenty of spray and citronella candles! But, that's what happens when you camp on an island surrounded by saltwater marsh! My family will definitely be returning to this campground.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
9 Thank RGTN
Anonymous
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2011

I read these reviews before I went and felt like almost every single bad one was proven wrong. The customer service we received could not have been more pleasant or flexible. They changed the dates AND camping site with no problem with not even 24 hours notice. Also they were super friendly and informative. Sometimes cranky customers create cranky service, either in their heads or otherwise. The squirrels and raccoons (yes we saw one) are a little more bold than in your backyard, but if you keep your food secured you shouldn't have a problem. We stayed there in a tent for 3 days and didn't have any problems with noise or neighbors. I have to say that it was very quite after sunset, with only an occasional car driving through the camp at night. The bathrooms were clean and dry, the showers had a lot of privacy, lots of pressure, and lots of hot water!! (5 stars there!)

I had a hard time finding a site that did NOT have water/electricity hook up. The sites were reasonable in size, and completely shaded by live oaks. So much so that there is no grass. The trash receptacles were never full, the bathrooms maintained frequently.

While on the island we particularly enjoyed the waterpark, the sea turtle center, the shops across from the sea turtle center, the dolphin tour, and the horseback trail ride. Fins was our favorite restaurant. All in all, I REALLY enjoyed it and would love to go again.

Room Tip: Book in advance!