I was also a little worried to spend a much needed vacation and have it be terrible after reading the reviews of some. Well, I will be going back to stay here at the campground again!! i will give you the good and the bad. Good first.
1. The campground is clean and when not raining, the dirt and leaves are fine to walk on. The campsites are close, but for the fall when everyone is gone we had H-6 to ourselves with no neighbors around and it is a great campsite.
2. The hosts were great. Very friendly and helpful and they are always around and DO patril the grounds all the time.
2. Noise level was always quiet. A few dog barks but nothing for long. One night some women campers got a bit loud but they were talked to and it was over as quickly as it started.
3.The bathrooms. Despite what others have written, for a "public" bathroom, it was the cleanest I have ever been in. The showers were also clean and I never saw one thing that was not clean the whole time we were there. Always stocked and heat was running inside so you could stay warm after your shower. Plugs for blow dryers and straighteners. Lots of mirrors. My husband said the same about the men's bathroom too.
4. The pier is across the street but you do have to walk a little ways to get to the actual beach. You will walk past marsh land for about a half a mile but the walk is nice. Go around the corner when you come to the beach to the right for that is the BEST picture taking beach and the driftwood is amazing. Go at low tide. At high tide it is covered with water.
Cons if you wanna call them that....
1. The internet is horrible! I guess every camper had a laptop because the service being WiFi was worse than dial up, but then you really shouldn't come camping to be on your computer anyway so I didn't complain. Some RV people told me the cable was fuzzy, but I also didn't go camping to watch TV.
2. Don't buy anything at the "store" at the campground. The IGA is not that far away and you can get just about anything there.
3. Yes, the girls that work in the office were not friendly at all when I checked in and it sorta made me feel bad but I also talked to them when I left and they were both very nice. Maybe they just had a bad day?
To sum it up, if you are in a motor home and you are a camping person who doesn't want to get "dirty", then maybe you should come here. This is a very old time family campground like my parents took me to when I was young. Doesn't need updated at all! It is perfect for the price and the location!! But if you want to have a great camping experience and have water and electric, which I did, then go!! You can camp in the very back without water and it is very secluded. Whether you have a RV or a tent, H-6 was a great spot!!
the island is the best place to go if you don't want crowds, commercialism, and want to just get back to nature. Who cares about the $5.00 they charge per day to get on the island! It is well worth it and goes to keep the island beautful!!
- Also Known As:
- Jekyll Island Campground Hotel Jekyll Island