“A bit too Tex-mex”

Ranked #12 of 336 Restaurants in Norcross
Cuisines: Mexican
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

We were looking for an authentic Mexican restaurant, and the name implies that. But when you walk in-although it's nice inside-you get the feeling that it has been Americanized. The food was OK. Nothing to complain about, but nothing to write home about either. My son, who loves Mexican food, just said it was good. You could tell our waiter did not want to be there. Overall, I gave it 4 stars. 3 1/2 would be more appropriate though.

Reviewed 9 August 2017

Do you like Mexican food? If you do, you'll love this place, and if you don't you will be a fan of the place and the food when you eat there...the food, the location, the establishment and the personnel and cooks are top notch! PLUS: music on the weekends!

Reviewed 22 June 2017

Comedian and part-time food critic, Jim Gaffigan, does a brilliant commentary on Mexican food . . . I suggest that you listen to his insightful analysis. (You can find it on-line.)

In a way, Gaffigan is right. Mexican food often does seem like the exact same stuff--a tortilla filled with meat, cheese and vegetables. In that sense, La Parrilla is no worse than any Mexican chain restaurant. But neither is it any better. Last night I went to La Parrilla with my Friday morning men's faith group. Not long after, I felt like praying to the porcelain god. I ordered a combination plate with an enchilada, a burrito and a chili relleno. I might have just as well have asked for a plate of tortillas with meat, cheese and vegetables . . . and a side order of fat. All items were . . . (what's that word) . . . "perfunctory" in their sameness. Mexican food really can sometimes hit the spot (e.g., Mr. Taco for sure, La Parrilla not so much), but as Jim Gaffigan wryly notes, it really is all exactly the same stuff.

1  Thank JA M
Reviewed 13 May 2017 via mobile

I wish they had these restaurants in Florida!! Was in Georgia for a conference and was told we had to eat here - we were not disappointed. I had a quesadilla with steak, chicken, and shrimp - it was FABULOUS!!! Will definitely visit these restaurants again when in Georgia.

Reviewed 3 May 2017

Good atmosphere , fast service, chips and salsa were free, and you can order more, service was very good