US$134
US$131
Orbitz.com
All reviewsnormandy inndairy farmmarriagecampusrelationshipaccommodationstv
Reviewed May 6, 2013

I had no idea what I was going to for a 4 day retreat. It never occured to me to research the place and I am glad I went blind with no expectations. You arrive at the entrance of Berry University (Shocker like where are we going) then the guard gate tells you the Hotel is 3 miles in the back of the campus (Once again shocker) The campus itself was overwhelming in mass the largest land mass University in the WORLD with 27,000 acres and 6000 roaming white tailed deer. It is a wildlife refuge area with over 36 miles of hiking and mountain biking. The service by far was the best I have ever received and consistent everywhere we went. We arrived a day early and I am so glad we did because we took a full 8 hours to explore all of the historical buildings and churches on the premises. We also hiked 6 miles roundtrip to the the "House of Dreams" at the top of the mountain and it took my breath away at the stunning mountaintop views. The rooms (Our room was in the Britany #203 Upstairs) was 5 star quality accomodations. No TV's & No telephones but no problem you won't miss it. We had an aircard so we got internet and our cell phones worked fine. This is a retreat hotel and they offer several different options and cater to married couples. It is an alll inclusive when you pay the fee. We had 3 chef cooked meals in the most beautiful dining room. The wildlife is abundant so if you are a nature freak like me you will be trying to figure out how to get a job here and move to Berry University. I am already looking for a way to get back here on some kind of couples retreat. They will help cater one to your specific needs. They run girls summer camps at the facility as well. There were ropes courses, rock climbing, and zip lining. There was swimming and equestrain barns that we had a view from our room. Just go and let the staff do what they do best "SERVE YOU GLADLY".

Room Tip: If you have a choice only select an upstairs room they have great windows that crank open to the country air at night. The nbathroom showers are tiny but there is not a choice no tubs very difficult to shave your legs. The downstairs room were tiny and the windows were too high for a view. This is important for an optimum stay ask for upstairs....trust me on this recommendation.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mpeacock_10
Reviewed November 18, 2012

I've never seen a retrreat center like Winshape. The attentive service (yes--I said 'service' at a retreat) is better than most of the 4 and 5 star hotels I stay. The food is outstanding. The grounds are gorgeous--plenty to see and explore. The rooms are nicely appointed--especially for a retreat!

I look forward to finding a reason to come here again!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Paul M
Reviewed November 3, 2012

A retreat in the truest sense of the word! We’ve stayed at many beautiful places and attended many conferences, but the beauty, serenity, attention to detail, and eagerness to serve found at Winshape is unsurpassed! This charming village reminiscent of 19th century Normandy is nestled in the hills behind Berry College. They cater mostly to groups and specialize in marriage retreats. However, there are packages available for couples.

Meals are included and the quality was truly surprising! Everyone raved about it! The rooms were spacious with lots of little unexpected touches. The panoramic views of the countryside were a perfect complement to the architecture.

My wife and I greeted each day by rising early and watching the sunrise while sitting in a swing by the pond as deer wandered by. That’s “our place” now!

But as wonderful as the food, accommodations, and surroundings were, they paled in comparison to the level of service! Each person we encountered seemed genuinely eager to serve us in any way possible! Never before have I encountered such genuine kindness and consideration! And it all stems from Martha Berry’s philosophy (who established Berry College) which she took from Matthew 20:28, “not to be ministered unto, but to minister!”

I give it my highest commendation!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank cyshift
Reviewed August 20, 2012

If you live in Georgia or anywhere in the South really, the Winshape Retreat is your best choice for a marriage retreat. We stayed in the Normandy Inn lodging & were treated like royalty the entire time. The rooms are beautiful -- spa bathroom with separate shower and large tub, plenty of space, even a spacious sitting room attached. I was very impressed. It is an old 1930s farmhouse that they remodeled, with beautiful results, a few years back. The food is delicious (no beef, of course, but pork was served one night & plenty of gourmet chicken). They will happily attend to any dietary needs you might have (gluten-free, vegetarian, etc). The Normandy dining room is breath-taking. On Saturday night, our meal there was served by candlelight. Our Winshape hostesses, Eileen and Marilyn, were perfect in their level of attentiveness to whatever need you might have. That leaves you plenty of time to relax and not worry about a thing & just reconnect with your spouse & enjoy yourselves! Their retreats are second-to-none. The grounds are beautiful and set on the campus of Berry College, which is also a nature reserve. The deer are everywhere, and this is a nice touch. We drove around in the evening and watched them graze, and there were many fawns with their moms about. Berry's halls resemble a picturesque castle. A magical weekend with the most scenic backdrop if you wish to book a getaway with your special someone! We also had a most lovely couples massage. Who could ask for more in 48 hours? So glad we took this time for ourselves.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank amieingeorgia
Reviewed May 14, 2011

The vastness of the mountain vistas and the incredible quiet permeates your soul with tranquility. This place is amazing - a true hidden gem. Chock full of history and local sightseeing opportunities. Very hospitable staff - always a smile and 'it's my pleasure' when you ask for anything. They specifically cater to hosting romantic marriage retreats - if you mention it is your anniversary they will make it special for you. They can also host groups.

Choosing the Follow Your Heart program allows you to go anytime Sept thru May (no children or pets are allowed). All meals are included in the price of the room. Dinners are wonderful - gourmet and very rich & flavorful. Lunches are buffet style. The place is owned by the Chick Filet family so don't expect to find beef on the menu. :) Free ice cream, popcorn, coffee, tea, cocoa and sodas available all day long. The food is so rich we never got hungry between meals.

Beautiful mountain landscapes in a 26,000 acre wildlife refuge. We regularly saw a herd of white tail deer on the property. The sound of frogs and cicadas singing at night was delightful for us city dwellers.

The rooms were very spacious - the beds are all king size. The place is media free - no televisions, telephones or internet access in the room in order to encourage contemplation. There is a business center for internet access and the front desk will print boarding passes for you if you request it. It was great to be forced to 'unplug' for a few days.

We booked the Follow Your Heart Retreat which includes 2 nights lodging and 3 meals a day for $399. Incredible value for the price. It took us about 3 hours from the time we arrived at Atlanta airport (1pm), got the rental car and drove to WinShape. They will ask when you plan to arrive so they can include you in dinner - they cook for the amount of people who will be eating there each day.

You won't be disappointed. The place is great for unwinding and reconnecting. The facilities are beautiful, peaceful and well kept. Highly recommended for married couples who need a quiet getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor room - no elevators
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple