“heavenly!”
Review of WinShape Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
WinShape Retreat
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Stayed at the Normandy Inn with a group of pastoral couples. The staff was unbelievably encouraging and hospitable. Our rooms were big and almost luxurious. The grounds were beautiful. The history of the place, Berry College, was a real tribute to people devoted to Christian Service.

Room Tip: I think any room at Winshape would be great, but Normandy Inn was tops!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jaxtravelz

Reviewed 16 January 2014

An ultimate retreat experience! We loved our time at WinShape. WinShape is a couples-only retreat center that caters to its guests. It was the vision of Chick-fil-A's founder, Truett Cathy. It is a renovated dairy farm in a very tranquil location. The buildings are immaculately maintained. Great facilities, clean environment, outstanding food, and genuinely friendly service. The sales and event staff were great to work with...down to the last detail. Great value with many activities and options for groups to choose from (e.g., hayride, tour of House o' Dreams, Frost Chapel, tour of Berry College, biking, hiking, bonfires, walking path to Old Mill, Swan Lake, ropes course, etc.) We enjoyed the Martha Berry house tour and stepped back in time at the rustic Frost Chapel. We took lots of autumn photos at the Old Mill...great photo opp! We enjoyed endless ice cream and popcorn too! Our gatherings in the auditorium, a warm welcoming environment, were unforgettable meeting times. There is "no" TV in the bedrooms--don't panic--our group didn't miss it at all! FYI: Wifi is a available in the main lodge and auditorium. Comments conveyed over and over again that WinShape was a true place of respite to reconnect with your spouse! Our group is making plans to return again next year!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gracie334
Reviewed 21 October 2013

This place is freaking phenomenal!! For 299 dollars we got lodging at an adorable, rustic, romantic cabin, and 5 homecooked meals (Friday night, 3 meals Saturday including filet mignon and shrimp, and breakfast Saturday. PLUS constant, free soft serve ice cream machine, fountain drink sodas, coffee, bottled water, and popcorn!!! This place treats you like you're royalty. The dining hall feels like the dining hall in Harry Potter's Hogwarts Academy! The bed is comfy and huge. The only complaint I have is that there are no bathtubs in the rooms, and the shower is small. For a romantic 'couples retreat' getaway, it seems obvious that people might want to relax in a bubble bath. The shower was so cheap and narrow that there's not even a ledge to prop your foot on and shave your legs....i.e. if you're a really tall woman like myself, you will have a hard time finding room to shave your legs in the shower.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank carebear83
Reviewed 11 June 2013

This place and the work they do here is beyond what words can describe! My husband and I love it so much that we make time to go to a marriage retreat here every year. If you go to www.winshape.org you can sign up for a newsletter that will let you know what is going on here. The food is all prepared by marvelous chefs and the accomodations are out of this world! It is located on the back campus of Berry College. The college itself is awesome. The largest physical college campus in the world (27,000 acres) with many historical sites. The campus was originally a working farm owned by the Berry family. Martha Berry founded the school on Christian principles and with the idea that students could work here and pay for their education.

The most wonderful thing about WinShape is the people. I hate to call them staff because they are more like hosts who welcome you into their personal home! The attention to detail is unbelievable. The atmosphere of peace they create here works hand in hand with the programming to rejuvenate and renew. I always come away feeling closer to my husband and closer to God! I look so look forward to coming back that each year as we leave I feel a little sad ~ so I start planning our next visit as soon as we get home!

I almost forgot to mention that we love this place so much that we got married on the campus at Barnwell Chapel! :)

Room Tip: Every room here is spectacular! My favorite is one that overlooks the pond between the retreat cente...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank 4boys2013
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I had no idea what I was going to for a 4 day retreat. It never occured to me to research the place and I am glad I went blind with no expectations. You arrive at the entrance of Berry University (Shocker like where are we going) then the guard gate tells you the Hotel is 3 miles in the back of the campus (Once again shocker) The campus itself was overwhelming in mass the largest land mass University in the WORLD with 27,000 acres and 6000 roaming white tailed deer. It is a wildlife refuge area with over 36 miles of hiking and mountain biking. The service by far was the best I have ever received and consistent everywhere we went. We arrived a day early and I am so glad we did because we took a full 8 hours to explore all of the historical buildings and churches on the premises. We also hiked 6 miles roundtrip to the the "House of Dreams" at the top of the mountain and it took my breath away at the stunning mountaintop views. The rooms (Our room was in the Britany #203 Upstairs) was 5 star quality accomodations. No TV's & No telephones but no problem you won't miss it. We had an aircard so we got internet and our cell phones worked fine. This is a retreat hotel and they offer several different options and cater to married couples. It is an alll inclusive when you pay the fee. We had 3 chef cooked meals in the most beautiful dining room. The wildlife is abundant so if you are a nature freak like me you will be trying to figure out how to get a job here and move to Berry University. I am already looking for a way to get back here on some kind of couples retreat. They will help cater one to your specific needs. They run girls summer camps at the facility as well. There were ropes courses, rock climbing, and zip lining. There was swimming and equestrain barns that we had a view from our room. Just go and let the staff do what they do best "SERVE YOU GLADLY".

Room Tip: If you have a choice only select an upstairs room they have great windows that crank open to the cou...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank mpeacock_10
Reviewed 18 November 2012

I've never seen a retrreat center like Winshape. The attentive service (yes--I said 'service' at a retreat) is better than most of the 4 and 5 star hotels I stay. The food is outstanding. The grounds are gorgeous--plenty to see and explore. The rooms are nicely appointed--especially for a retreat!

I look forward to finding a reason to come here again!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Paul M
Reviewed 3 November 2012

A retreat in the truest sense of the word! We’ve stayed at many beautiful places and attended many conferences, but the beauty, serenity, attention to detail, and eagerness to serve found at Winshape is unsurpassed! This charming village reminiscent of 19th century Normandy is nestled in the hills behind Berry College. They cater mostly to groups and specialize in marriage retreats. However, there are packages available for couples.

Meals are included and the quality was truly surprising! Everyone raved about it! The rooms were spacious with lots of little unexpected touches. The panoramic views of the countryside were a perfect complement to the architecture.

My wife and I greeted each day by rising early and watching the sunrise while sitting in a swing by the pond as deer wandered by. That’s “our place” now!

But as wonderful as the food, accommodations, and surroundings were, they paled in comparison to the level of service! Each person we encountered seemed genuinely eager to serve us in any way possible! Never before have I encountered such genuine kindness and consideration! And it all stems from Martha Berry’s philosophy (who established Berry College) which she took from Matthew 20:28, “not to be ministered unto, but to minister!”

I give it my highest commendation!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends