“Noisy and uncomfortable”

Americas Best Value Inn - Rome
Ranked #14 of 20 Hotels in Rome
Reviewed 10 July 2017

This is an older hotel and is located right on the highway and next door to a convenience store. (There have been some updates, but not nearly enough.) Needless to say, it was very noisy. The bed was extremely uncomfortable, so along with the highway noise, I didn't get any sleep. My husband and I both need C-Pap machines for our sleep apnea but there wasn't any place to plug in our machines as there aren't any outlets near the bed. Luckily, we had an extension cord in the car, so we were able to run an extension from the bathroom outlet out to the bed. I don't know if they would have been able to provide us with a cord if we hadn't had one in the car. I don't drink coffee, and I'm glad I don't since the coffee maker is located in the bathroom where all sorts of germs are floating in the air after each toilet flush. Haven't any of the hotels these days read any health articles about the filth in the air after you flush? (It's like they are trying to make people sick!) We won't be staying at this location ever again and I suggest others look for a different hotel also.

Room Tip: Hotel is located right on a busy highway, so it's noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
abvirome, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to write a review of your stay at our hotel. I appreciate you for writing your experience during your stay at our hotel. You have been a great guest. The power outlet is located right behind the bed. If you called me I could have informed you and tried my best to make your stay comfortable as possible. Your room was a handicap room and we put the coffee machine in the sink counter because it is convenient for handicap/elder people. If you immediately informed me at the front desk I would have solved your problem in no time. I would have changed your room for example. I can’t control the highway noise because it is beyond my control. I’m sorry about the inconvenience.

Reviewed 14 February 2016

I have never stayed in a motel at this price point that I have no complaints. The exterior was neat and well maintained. The desk clerk was very helpful and knowledgeable about the town of Rome. Rarely have I seen a cleaner room. The towels were generous and the bed was comfortable. There was no hair dryer, but there is a refrigerator, microwave and coffee pot. There is a convenience store next door in easy walking distance. It is located about 6-7 miles south of Rome on Hwy. 27, with easy access to Rome and well worth the drive for the value.

Room Tip: Rooms in the back would be quieter because it is on a busy highway.
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple

I appreciate you for writing your experience during your stay at our hotel. There is never an excuse for providing a valued guest, such as yourself, with anything less than a perfect experience. We are very happy to know that you loved your room and our hospitality. If you ever need anything like a hair dryer just contact the front desk so we can solve your problem. We look forward to seeing and meeting you again.

Reviewed 2 February 2016

We engaged a room here because it was advertised as "pet friendly" and we were displaced temporarily due to home renovations. The balance of the reviews seemed about average and we had no choice about bringing pets along, so we figured at the rate they were asking we could deal with average for a liittle while.

Big mistake.

My first clue was when I presented myself at the front desk to discover the quoted (and booked) room rate suddenly tripled due to a "pet fee" that hadn't been included in the reservation, despite the fact that I clearly stated we would be bringing pets with us. I wasn't happy about that, but there are very few pet friendly options hereabouts so I sucked it up and went with it.

The room itself was absolutely abysmal. Dank, disgusting, extremely foul smelling. The carpet was filthy. Even the CURTAINS had stains! I don't even want to know how the curtains ended up that nasty. I checked for bed bugs but, not trusting the absence of evidence, made a special Walmart run for temporary bed linens. I refused to allow my child to shower there and used almost an entire package of antibacterial wipes on everything. There were also flying bugs of some kind erupting from the air conditioner all night long. And for this we were charged over $100 a night! Disgraceful. We were told this was the only room where pets were allowed. Let it never be said that I don't make sacrifices for my furries...but from now on I believe I'm going to opt for boarding with the vet.

Oh, and just one more item: apparently this motel is very popular as a rendezvous for a certain type of clientele that would otherwise perhaps prefer to rent by the hour. The couple next to us was very *ahem* "boisterous" (to the point we had to turn up the volume on the TV to earsplitting levels to keep our daughter from taking an interest) and we happened to be outside on the balcony debating how to broach the subject to the manager when the "lady" and her escort exited, making us witnesses to the transaction. Neither returned that night so we let it pass, but made a speedy exit at our first opportunity. The wipes were a good call. I don't see us ever setting foot there again.

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
abvirome, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2016

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to write a review of your stay at our hotel. I appreciate you for writing your experience during your stay at our hotel. You stayed two days at our hotel and if you found our hotel this disgusting than you should of informed me immediately. I would have given you a refund and you could of found another hotel. You had two pets for two days and you paid $60 for them in total and you had a double bed. The price was reasonable since the hotel had to pay 70$ for the pee and hair that your pets left on the carpet. The hotel charged you that price so when another guest came to stay in that room they would not tell me the things you so called said about the rooms’ condition. Most important thing if you have any problems when you’re staying at any hotel please inform the manager/staff so they can resolve your problem. Sorry about the inconvenience.

Reviewed 8 January 2016

On a main road and next to a Kangaroo gas station, our room was facing both. Pretty noisy. Comfortable, clean bed. NOTE- Pet FEE =$25 (small dog), otherwise a fair price. If you stay, make sure its a room on the back side of the hotel.

Room Tip: Get a room on the back side to avoid traffic noise (true at any hotel!)
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled with family
abvirome, Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 12 January 2016

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to write a review of your stay at our hotel. I appreciate you for writing your experience during your stay at our hotel. I’m sorry about the inconvenience about the noise. Thank you for your loyalty, and we hope to see you again.

Reviewed 5 October 2015

I made the reservation at this hotel because we had bought tickets to go to the air show and didn't want to have to drive home late at night. The air show said it would go on, rain or shine. When we got to Rome, the show had been cancelled. I called the hotel to cancel and he said I couldn't that I would have to call the 800#. I called the number and asked if the cancel fee could be waived since it was not our fault. She said I had to call the hotel and they could waive the fee. I called the hotel and again, he said I had to call the 800# and he said his name was Mike Smith. With his accent, I highly doubt that was his name. Anyway, I would up calling both him and the 800# three times to no avail. I would never use this hotel because of the way I was treated.

Room Tip: There are hotels closer to the air show than this one.
  • Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RainsGA
abvirome, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 11 October 2015

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to write a review.You made two reservations online and you canceled one of them online before the cancelation policy. The other one was cancelled on the arrival date.The hotel cancelation policy is that you can't cancel a reservation on the arrival date.The penalty is a 1 night charge.You tried to cancel the reservation on the arrival date.You called me about canceling your online reservation so I told to call online number and cancel your reservation. You called me again and told me you spoke with the online reservation represenitive. After you called me again I didn't charge you so therefore your reservation was canceled. I'm sorry about your unconvenence. Next time please call one day before the arrival date. Thank you again for sharing your experience.

Reviewed 2 August 2015

The made the pictures look so great with the rooms being so clean and roomy. Not the case at all. I'm with the last reviewer, fake reviewers. No room in the bathroom, rooms stink, free breakfast consists of two apples and two bananas, cereal which is stale and there was no milk one morning with a box of muffins from the store next door. The office air conditioner's fan rubbed on the metal all night long and was annoying. More annoying was the house keeper who used a backpack leaf blower at 9am to blow the walk ways in front of the doors. So much for sleeping in. My advice before staying here is ask to see a room before booking. I would not stay here again.

Room Tip: I don't know what to recommend. The leaf blower will be your alarm clock. Bring Lysol!
  • Stayed: July 2015, travelled on business
abvirome, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 3 August 2015

Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to write a review of your stay at our hotel. I appreciate you for writing your experience during your stay at our hotel. You have been a miraculous guest. If you immediately informed me at the front desk I would have solved your problem in no time. I’m sorry about the inconvenience.

Reviewed 18 February 2015

I needed a quick place to stay in Rome during winter weather. I took a gamble on this place and won the jackpot! The rooms are immaculately clean, very large and comfortable. I needed extra blankets and a blow drier and the clerk in the front was very nice and accommodating! On my 2nd night I arrived back to a sparking clean room and all my makeup and toiletries were organized on a towel in the bathroom. .
The room smelled clean and fresh. The TV had over 100 channels and the place was safe, peaceful and quiet for a great night sleep. I have a need to stay in Rome, GA frequently and this is where I'll be staying for the best place and the right price!

Room Tip: The back side away from the highway for more quiet rooms.
  • Stayed: February 2015, travelled on business
abvirome, General Manager at Americas Best Value Inn - Rome, responded to this reviewResponded 26 February 2015

I appreciate you for writing your experience during your stay at our hotel. There is never an excuse for providing a valued guest, such as yourself, with anything less than a perfect experience. We are very happy to know that you loved your room and our hospitality. We look forward to seeing you again.