“A little disappointing.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
florida
“A little disappointing.”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

I was really looking forward to staying here, but have to admit I was a little disappointed. Our suite on the 3rd floor was nice, but the furniture and accessories were so dark and heavy looking it made the room look drab and dreary. The dark brocades did not belong in an oceanfront hotel. There was plenty of room but the bed was so high that I almost needed a step ladder to get into it (I'm 5'1"). And there were so many heavy cushions on it when we took them off to get into bed they took up half the room. It was nice to have two bathrooms because the tub in the bedroom again was so high that it would have been very hard to get in and out of. The standup shower was very nice though. Breakfast was so so, but nothing exceptional. The staff were all extremely helpful but also very slow. We had a nice view from the balcony but I really don't think I would come back again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
6 Thank picky75

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (207)
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 6 April 2012

Weren't sure what to expect but were very pleasantly surprised. Reviews from others were accurate. Only downside was the evening meal. Not the quality that matched the hotel. Breakfast was great.

Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 31 March 2012

This review is soooo late. I stayed at Ocean Lodge a year ago and what can I say, time flies...

I could not neglect writing a review for this hotel, no matter how late. I travel ALOT, and this was one of the nicest hotels I've ever stayed. Pure class and top notch service. Morning made to order breakfast was fabulous everyday. This is by far way better than any of the large resorts. Get a corner room on a high floor if your budget permits, windows surround the living area, just beautiful. You must use a bike and take a tour of the island. When I stayed there, the bikes were free. But again, it was a yar ago. A few tips for your trip:

Anne Marie Smith: best facial on the island.

Bubba Garcias: best mexican food (veggie fajitas are to die!)

Coastal kitchen: two words, Crab Cakes.

A little secret, if you are a food network fan, Alton Brown lives just across the street from Ocean Lodge. You may spot him out walking his 3 dogs :-)

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank withni7
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 28 March 2012

My wife and I have been by this hotel many times as we have been going to th eKing & Prince down the street for decades so we though we would give it a try this weekend. When we checked in we noticed that this hotel had been awarded as a Trip Advisor Best of 2012 award. After our stay, we agree with the other visitors. This is a unique hotel but a great place to stay.

The hotel has 15 suites, all over looking the Atlantic though it is one block from the beach. The rooms are works of art. There was a mural on one wall as you enter the room and there were five beautiful pictures with very expensive frames in the bedroom and living room. each suite has two baths, a full kitchen, a complete living room, a balcony off the living room and bedroom, the bedroom we stayed in had a king bed. The master bath has a jacuzzi tub with a shower. The rooms are decorated in Spanish type design. There are two flat screen TV with cable. There are a lot a channels to choose from but the room needs a better guide to select from so many channels. The room also has a DVD player connected to the TV in the living room. The rooms were probably the best designed five star room I have stayed. The hotel is classified a boutique hotel because it is so small but the staff there do a great job handling your every need.

They provide a free hot breakfast to order every morning from their menu from 8 to 10 am. It is worth getting up for the food, it is great and they also provide great service. Everything about this small hotel was first rate. They even have free wifi (it was fast) which is unusual for a 5 star hotel. I loved the Keurig coffee maker, a great cup of coffee every time. You bring back your dog bag and store it in the full size frig.

They have a restaurant on the top floor that is open Monday through Saturday but closed on Sunday. We missed out in trying the restaurant because we did not know they were closed on Sunday.

Room Tip: The corner room seem to have bigger rooms with better views.
2 Thank crapsguy
Brattleboro, Vermont
Reviewed 26 March 2012

We stayed two nights at this stunning Inn. Met the Innkeeper, Joe McDunnough, (sp?), over breakfast the first morning. A very easy-going man with obvious impeccable taste as Ocean Lodge is his baby and he has created a one of a kink location steps from the beach in St Simons. However, when he mentioned that the economy had noticably had a negative impact on his business and blamed it on the ' Kenyan in the Whitehouse" my husband, daughter and I were rocked back on our heals. And, when I suggested that the economy was already in the toilet before our current President took office ~ and further suggested that I did not want to discuss politics ~ he gave me a very steady glare and continued to expound on his political views, including something derogatory about "Muslims'. I am also and Innkeeper; my policy is to not discuss politics with my guests. I suggest that Joe adopt the same policy to avoid a situation I found myself in that tainted my view of the paradise he has created.

5 Thank vvogel
Joe_M_OL, Owner at Ocean Lodge, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you for your suggestions in regards to political discussions with guests, and I would like to sincerely apologize for anything I may have said that was offensive to you, I certainly didn’t mean for it to be interpreted that way. We pride ourselves on our attention to detail and personalized service. As the innkeeper, I try to make it a priority to get to know all of our guests and ensure they are all receiving quality service.

I remember the morning I met with you and your family. It happened to be the day after Newt Gingrich was discussing his opinion of President Obama’s religion to the media, and was quoted as saying, “I think it is very bizarre that he is desperately concerned to apologize to Muslim religious fanatics while they are killing young Americans, while at the same time going to war against the Catholic Church and against ever right-to-life Protestant organization in the country, I just think it’s a very strange value system”. The story was being covered by most media networks, and I, being a very devout member of the Catholic Church, have been extremely interested in this story.

As far as the economy is concerned, you are correct. There are other factors that contributed to the recession. Every business has been impacted, especially the hospitality industry. We have tried to maintain a positive outlook; so far it is working splendidly for us. In fact, we just had our best month since opening our doors in 2008.

We appreciate your feedback, and I assure you that my personal opinions on the state of the economy, and President Obama’s religious beliefs, have no bearing on the quality of service we offer and I deeply apologize for the misunderstanding. Thank you for being our guest.
San Antonio, Texas
Reviewed 15 March 2012

This is by far the best 30th birthday weekend that I have ever had. Arrived on Sunday and was greetly promptly by Bill, who is the receptionist and butler or bellman. He had informed me that I was complementary upgraded to the 3rd floor. Originally booked the 2nd floor. The rooms are virtually the same on each floor, except the penthouse on the top floor. The difference is price between each floors and the view. Was upgraded to the Jekyl room (301). What a beautiful room with so much detail. It was a corner room with a perfect view on the ocean! The next morning we met Holly, who served us breakfast, which was absolutely delicious. Breakfast is INCLUDED in the room rate and should not be charge separately. The lap pool/hot tub was great and a great temperature at night. A/C works great in the room. Nice kitchen and 2 bathroom's. The shower in the 2nd bathroom worked better than the shower in the master, which I don't understand. Overall, a great place to stay. Holly and Bill and Michelle made the trip enjoyable. Housekeeping did a great job as well. There was a problem on the bill, they charged me for the complimentary upgrade, however, this was quickly adjusted as promised. Thank you for relying on your word and trust Bill. Will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a complimentary upgrade with a direct ocean view.
1 Thank jhw82
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed 7 March 2012

We spent the weekend at the Ocean Lodge and I was blown away by the beauty and the attention to detail. The hotel was even prettier than the pictures. I fell in love with the room as soon as I saw it. I barely wanted to leave it. The bed was SO comfortable. I spent quite a bit of time in the jacuzzi tub where they had provided candles. There was everything you could think of in the room;, two tvs, a stereo system, DVD players, books, a kitchen with dishes and silverware and glassware, bathrobes and slippers. We were on the third floor and there was a huge balcony with a view of the ocean.

For a place so nice and with such attention to detail, I was surprised at the spotty, hit and miss service. When we got there, the person checking us in took my boyfriend's information and then turned to me and said, " I assume you must be his wife?" We are not married, and the fact we are still not married, is a sore point with me. I felt pretty uncomfortable with the clerk saying that to me, but figured he had no idea how touchy that topic was to me and lacked sufficient tact to know not to ask a middle aged woman, wearing no wedding ring, checking into a hotel with a man, if they are married. Anyway, I was more annoyed at my boyfriend that he still hasn't proposed. :-)

The guy who checked us in, was also the bellboy it seems. He asked us to bring our car around and he would meet us to help with the luggage. We never saw him again. Apparently he was still working at the front desk, so we managed on our own.

Everything in the room was perfect, except that the light in the Living Room would not come on. We tried to reach someone at the front desk, but no one ever answered. I left a message asking for someone to come up and fix it, but I never got a response and the light never worked the whole time we were there.

Our breakfast experience was uneven. The first day, we were greeted by two very nice ladies who were very pleasant and helpful and the food was delicious. The second day, there was a man there who was engaged for long periods of time discussing his love of St. Augustine with another couple. We could barely get his attention. Only when he came over to take our orders, did he realize that he had failed to give us menus. After he took our orders, he went back to talking to the other couple. When our food arrived, he asked if we wanted anything else. I asked for ketchup for my home fries. He said he would be right back, but he went back to talking and never brought any ketchup, or came back at all to offer more juice or check on us at all. Luckily, we are pretty easy going people and were enjoying ourselves talking to another guest and just let it go. But I was disturbed by the lack of customer service he displayed. I'm not the type of person who likes servers who hover, but I would like to have a server who provides service. The ladies on the first day were perfect.

Overall, it was a beautiful trip. We are mellow people and the service issues we ran into did not spoil our trip in any way. I just thought I should mention them so if anyone else runs into them, they will not be surprised. Everyone else we ran into was wonderful and friendly and helpful and polite. I don't want to give the impression that the staff is not pleasant.

2 Thank Traveljunkiegirl73
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint Simons Island
0.9 km away
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthouse
Saint Simons Inn by the Lighthou...
#7 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
Jekyll Island Club Resort
#1 of 9 in Jekyll Island
4.5 km away
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simons Island
Home2 Suites by Hilton St. Simon...
#1 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
0.9 km away
Ocean Inn and Suites
Ocean Inn and Suites
#9 of 10 in Saint Simons Island
7.8 km away
Holiday Inn Resort Jekyll Island

Been to Ocean Lodge? Share your experiences!