All reviews rooftop restaurant across the street frittata full bathrooms complimentary bikes jacuzzi tub breakfast each morning fourth floor separate bedroom the entire staff full moon the penthouse corner room southern hospitality get away every staff member living area
Reviewed June 15, 2018

My wife arranged a short get away - let anniversary - and decided on this place. We had originally planned on The Cloisters, but something about this place drew me in. We were not disappointed.

The entire lodge ( maybe 15 units) is immaculately decorated in a Tuscan theme. We had a unit with a small kitchen which was very nice.

The porch was fantastic - deep and wide with a partial view of the ocean ( we were on the 2nd of 4 floors, so other two were probably even better).

Our Suite also had a sleeper sofa which was distinct from the master bedroom - so those brining a couple of children would be happy with this arrangement. Add to this the fact that the 2nd bathroom is a full bathroom and you get a lot fo the price of this suite.

Parking is free and covered.

Breakfast is continental, but delicious fruit, and delicious baked goods along with coffee, juice, yogurt, and cereal.

Location is a short walk to the shops and restaurants nearby. Beach walk changes dramatically depending on whether it is high or low tide, so check before you setout.

They have a smallish pool ( more of an oversized Jacuzzi) - but you can use the real pool at sister location next door and we heard tennis and pool at yet another location,

They also have a bar on the very top, but it stormed the night we were hoping to go there - so no comment on that. But it seemed nice.

Final advice is that next time I'd lean toward higher floor ( could hear some footstep above us) and units closer to checking ( head garbage truck early first day)

There are also Bikes to rent.

The people and service were first rate - than k you all for a wonderful visit.

Room Tip: again - spring for top floor ( there is an elevator and it is pretty fast)
  • Stayed: June 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed June 3, 2018 via mobile

We lucked into a 2 night stay during a recent southern swing. What a find! While I’m sure the look and feel are a bit unusual for a southern beach stay, for us it was joyful, entertaining and memorable. If we are back that way, we’ll be staying at the Ocean Lodge. The staff are amazing. Breakfast is included and run by Gloria, a wonderful hostess. She is exceptional. Front desk and house keeping are awesome too. Room was great, balcony a treasure, covered parking useful and the ability to walk to all the good stuff in St Simons priceless. The roof top bar/restaurant were closed when we were there, but I’d go there for certain. This place is a true gem and you should check them out!

Stayed: May 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed May 12, 2018 via mobile

You going to love the decor of the place. Location is not the best because you really don’t have a view of the ocean (not really ocean front). Breakfast was horrible! Their hot breakfast was not even on the continental level; coffe, juice and muffins.

We had issues on checking in smell of smoke on balcon of several rooms.

Considering price verses service I have to rate it a 2.2 out five star.

Stayed: May 2018, travelled with family
5  Thank ChooChoo1031
Reviewed April 22, 2018 via mobile

I stayed here because the place I usually stay was not available. I thought the great pics and extras like robes and balconies and roof top bar would be fun.

I learned as I was checking in that the restaurant and bar are closed indefinitely. There are no robes. There were only two hangers in the very weird curtained off shelf in the bathroom that I assume is the closet. Not that you could really hang your clothes there. The shower head was about five feet off the floor and sprayed everywhere. There was no tub.

Meanwhile, the kitchen has more cabinets than my house, but only a handful of mismatched dishes and no paring knife or saucepan or anything.

The room is vast and has two bathrooms- which is odd since there is only one bed. It also had six light switches which did nothing and five - 5! - landline phones, including one in each bathroom.

The one redeeming quality of this place was the friendly staff - including the nice lady who checked me in and out and the housekeeping folks who really kept things tidy.

At a $150/night price point, this would be a weird and quirky place. At the actual price point (which you have seen if you’re reading this review), it’s just disappointing.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled on business
6  Thank JLL2010
Reviewed March 25, 2018

I’ve been to St. Simons before, but never stayed at Ocean Lodge. I really liked that they had the restaurant and lounge available. I called the day before I went to inquire as to availability of room service and was assured it was available during restaurant hours. When I checked in, I inquired about the breakfast and was told it was just coffee and pastries, not cooked to order. I got to my room and went up to the restaurant during posted hours. No activity and locked tight. I called the desk and was told it was closed, not just during the week-closed. The room was a one bedroom, two bath with a kitchenette-microwave, full sized fridge (with ice maker), two burner stove, small sink. No oven, small dishwasher, very limited dishes and cutlery, one frying pan, no kitchen utensils to speak of. Three glasses, no can opener or sharp knives. There was a coffeemaker and some coffee supplies. The second bath did have a small shower, which was nice. The balcony is very large with two nice lounges, a table and two chairs. The unit is tired and outdated, but a nice size. It is done in an opulent, heavy Mediterranean style. Might be nice to redo to a lighter paint with white trim and transition decor to old south. Cable has lots of channels. No Premium, but plenty to see with two flat screen tv’s. The staff was very gracious and pleasant. The location is good-a block from the ocean, fairly close to the village and in a nice area; close to several restaurants.

Stayed: March 2018