“Good place to relax ”

Fairfield Plantation
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Villa Rica
Reviewed 28 September 2017 via mobile

We had one of the 2 bed room loft units in Tara Gardens. This is a very nice place. The only negative I have is the view was not the greatest. We could not see the lake due to all the trees and other houses. While the view was peasant and very quiet it was a nice unit. We also checked in after the office closed but this was not a problem because the gate guard had our packet with a map as well as the information we would need if something was not right with pur unit. It had an after hours number to call of we needed anything. As members of Wyndham resorts we have visited many different ones and this place fits in well with the units we have visited in other places. We will certainly come back in the summer sometime.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank Roger S
Maren T, Manager at Fairfield Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Hi Roger, it is great you are wanting to come back to see us next summer! The Tara Gardens are great for the space they offer for the whole family, but the Tara Cove offers the best views of the lake. If you don't need a whole cottage I suggest the Cove for next year's vacation...We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 18 September 2017

I booked this trip for a few nights to help rest weary bones as we made our way back from a South Carolina Kayaking trip...I've gotta tell ya, it was nicer than the place we stayed in Hilton Head. The lake is supremely clear, so if you plan to fish, prepare accordingly, as the fishes can see you. The condos were rather small and cozy, but well appointed and luxurious. My only cons were that the toilet in the master bath was stopped up upon our arrival and we were finally able to find a plunger, hours later as we looked in the closet with the washer/dryer. The second thing was that the whirlpool tub didn't work. Now, usually with me, I really don't care...but if you remember I mentioned aching bones at the start of this review...and mine were no better for the paddling and the long hours on the road. With great disappointment, I sucked it up and did without the nice calming bath.

It takes a bit to get used to this resort, it is very large, and all the roads seem to work like a maze through the entire place. Keep the map handy when they give it to you... you will likely use it many times.

Restaurants are at a premium in the area, meaning there really aren't any. We actually grilled out one night after we drove the most of 20 miles to dinner the first night.

If you come here to fish, well there is a fishing lake at the north end of the property... go there, it is good fishing. We didn't have any wonderful luck in the big (main) lake. No fishing license required!

Check in was a breeze...loved it. They didn't hound me about a timeshare meeting...in fact they never mentioned it. Can't tell you how much I loved that!

So, would I stay there again? Heck, yes...in fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that this wasn't last time I will be visiting Fairfield Plantation...this coming from someone who isn't much on visiting the same place twice. (There is too much world out there to see to spend my time seeing the same places twice!) So if you get an opportunity you should visit this place...it is quiet, secluded and so very relaxing.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fireball92771
Maren T, Manager at Fairfield Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

I am so happy you had a great time and that you intend to come back! And we'll make sure the Jacuzzi will be working - so sorry about that! I just wanted to mention that we have a restaurant here on site, on the lake, called Dockside Marina...it's a shame you didn't see it! And Carrollton as well as Villa Rica are only 10 miles away with a great variety of restaurants. Well, hopefully next time! Thanks so much for the great review, which is much appreciated, and we look forward to seeing you again!!

Reviewed 24 August 2017

The unit was very well appointed, fireplace in the living room, spiral staircase up to the cutest loft with twin beds. The unit was very spacious, and comfortable. loved the jetted shower. The nearby lake was beautiful. and for additional fee the golf coarse/country club is available. The roads into the units are a little confusing, would try to arrive before dark to avoid getting lost. Is close enough to Atlanta for day trips. Look forward to returning.

Stayed: August 2017

Dear Martha, thank you so very much for staying with us and wanting to come back. It is wonderful to hear that you loved the cottage and giving us this great review! We are thankful and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed 15 August 2017

We were down with family to help our nephew out while he started his time at the University of West Georgia in Carrollton. Between the various preparations, the location on the lake provided us with a wonderful and relaxing base, within 20 minutes of the university. We especially liked having both covered and open porches, given that the week ended with a fair bit of rain. The kitchen was fairly well equipped compared to similar accommodations in our past. The starter kit was generous and much appreciated. The two bedrooms and shared living spaces were spacious and comfortable. We have seen other reviews comment on the limitations of the WiFi, and agree guest expectations should be managed. However for those requiring higher band-width, we found that XFINITY provided an excellent and reasonably priced option worth mentioning to guests. We enjoyed the close proximity of the Plantation course; which we golfed twice.

Room Tip: It was nice to be within walking distance to the marina and the pool.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

I hope to see you whenever you are going to visit your kids at UWG! We're so glad you enjoyed your stay and thank you for sharing your experience here on TripAdvisor by giving us this nice review. We appreciate it and look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 5 August 2017 via mobile

We came to Fairfield on a family vacation as timeshare members. It's a very beautiful and peaceful area. The lake is pristine and the beach area was perfect for swimming or lying on the beach. Golf course was inexpensive to play and nice. We stayed in one of the cottages. It could use some updating, but was clean and comfortable. The only reason I'm not giving FP a 5 is because the stairs to the loft were extremely unsafe for children. The slats in the railing were so widely spaced that a toddler or preschooler could easily fall through. The stairs in particular really need to be replaced! There are many things to do in the area, with Atlanta being less than an hour away. You can easily go into the city, or you can just have your downtime at the resort. We would definitely come back.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Maren T, Manager at Fairfield Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2017

I am very glad to see you are planning on coming back and that you had a great time. Thank you for staying with us and we look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 21 July 2017

My family and I recently completed a stay in the timeshares of Fairfield Plantation. We were given points from a family member's "vacation club" so the stay didn't cost us anything. I mention that because beggars can't be choosers and it wasn't our money spent on the location. That disclaimer out of the way, there's not a lot to love about the timeshares at Fairfield Plantation.

To start, the timeshare welcome center closed an hour early on the day of our arrival so we were on our own for check-in. Not a big deal except there were issues with our unit and the welcome center was closed the following day. Not the best way to start a vacation.

Fortunately, I was able to quickly square things away when the welcome center reopened and the staff was very efficient and nice. Unfortunately, while I was taking care of that business my family was checking out the timeshare-only beach. Said beach turned out to be a very small strip of sand with a ragged volleyball net, grass overgrowing the sand, and a massive amount of goose poop covering the sand and grass. We beat a hasty retreat and never returned. The rest of the day was spent using the facilities shared between vacationers and full-time residents. All of them showed their age but were maintained reasonably well and not crowded.

Our unit looked great from the outside but shared the common theme of showing its age. Appliances are dated and were hit-and-miss in how well they worked. The advertised wi-fi was non-existent. I usually don't care about wi-fi availability because vacations aren't about connecting with the outside world. However, two of the students in the family had online course work to complete and only traveled with us because they expected to connect to their schools. I ended up using a serious amount of cell data in hotspots to allow them to complete their work. If you advertise that you've got wi-fi then it should actually work.

The worst issue with the property management company stemmed from their lack of communication about the private resident's association rules. The info packet, online sales pitches, and in-room brochures all stated the availability of boating access so we brought a kayak with us. When we attempted to launch, we discovered there's no place to do so for kayaks, SUPs, etc. We visited the marina and were told that it costs $55 per day to use their ramp and that kayaks, canoes, and SUPs can only venture a short distance offshore so that they don't interfere with the power boats. There is a second lake that does not allow power boats but it is small and featureless so we didn't bother to use it (and that's assuming we didn't have to pay $55 for the privilege).

So was the vacation bad? No, it was great! The area more than made up for the Fairfield disappointments. Fairfield is about 20 minutes away from anywhere you'd want to go so we had excellent day trips to Sweetwater Creek Park, Six Flags, and some smaller historic sites. The reality is that that the VIllas at Fairfield Plantation are pretty much the only available accommodations so to repeat myself beggars can't be choosers.

In summary, the property management company needs to do a much better job at maintaining the Villas, educating travelers about the Association rules, and making sure that advertised features are actually available. We won't return to Fairfield Plantation until we do but we left with great fondness for the area.

Room Tip: Unless you can see the units in advance, assume they are all aged.
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled with family
3  Thank badunc
Maren T, Manager at Fairfield Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2017

For anyone who read this review I would just like to add the following. Yes, you can bring a kayak or SUP and launch it directly from the Tara Cove (there are some rocks...) or from the beach next to our pool, where the geese like to hang out (sorry for nature's beasts! And no need to exaggerate), but there is sufficient room to put them in the water and it wouldn't cost anything. Even staying close to shore leaves enough room to explore with 10 miles of shoreline. To bring a boat you would need to use the marina boat ramp and there is a fee. The wifi is sufficient to check emails and look up some local attractions, but not strong enough to do work. It will kick the user out after a short time. Our units are so spread out that we need to use repeaters and the usage is shared by all. Our resort is one of Fairfield's Legacy Resorts, and the units are well maintained. The pictures on our website give a true reflection of what we offer. No, our furnishings are not from 2017 as we have been built 25 years ago and the units have been completely renovated since then. If anything is not in working order we replace it. If you arrive after hours (drive through check-in at the gate is actually very convenient!) you receive a packet that contains an after hour maintenance number that you can call in case something is not working in your unit. No need to wait all weekend until Monday! Just need to read the flashy yellow insert! There is always room for improvement on our part, I appreciate constructive criticism; but there is also the possibility that the traveler informs himself prior to arrival, and a lot of this reviewer's frustration could have been alleviated had he just called us...

Reviewed 2 July 2017

This was the only extended stay rental I could find in the area. I would have preferred something a little more closer to shopping and dining as it is off the beaten path, but once you are on the property it is quaint and relaxing. I wouldn't try to navigate to this place at night as it is heavily wooded and poorly lit. Also cell phone service is spotted in the area, so rely on GPS at your own risk. Internet service is awful and consistently dropping connections. The apartment had everything I needed, but I wish management would replenish soap, paper towels, toilet paper, dish detergent every couple of days. I had a three week rental and I was on my own replacing these supplies. Given that there is a 2 day min rental, I am sure they would have replace if a new tenant was renting, so why can't I get the same treatment if I am paying the same money as a new tenant? The back gate guards are very friendly and have common sense, but the same cannot be said about the front gate guard and front office. Just terrible. Front gate guard has the wrong job. Acts as if he is frustrated with every guest that comes thru. Front office either does not know what they are doing or are just plain lying. I was told repeatedly they did not have rentals over the phone and in person, but I was able to book rentals three times online after they told me no. Not sure what kind of games they are playing. Also a lady in the front office made a big issue about a card used to access the pool, beach, rec center etc., that they require a $20 cash deposit for. She told me that "owners would normally pay $1,200 annually for this pass." I was thinking to myself, "Well, I just paid over $3,000 for just three weeks, so what is your point?" Condensing and ignorant in my opinion. I extended my stay and ask her if I could stay in the same room because I was already settled and she told me no (even though I already had a reservation for the same type of room. What is the point of making me move one unit over?). Again, not sure what is the front office problem.

Room Tip: Get one on the lake
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
Maren T, Manager at Fairfield Plantation, responded to this reviewResponded 5 July 2017

I am upset to read about the customer service shortcomings. We are always striving for complete customer satisfaction and I have to find out what happened here. We are taking reservations over the phone all the time, unless it is for online specials that we cannot take in person. You are absolutely correct, that you should have received new supplies and new towels in the middle of your stay, and a total stay-over clean after one week. Same for the $20 deposit for the access card. It seems like the staff has been using "tunnel vision" instead of common sense. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay regardless and liked your accommodations. It is sometimes impossible to combine multiple online reservations, as we cannot always move other guest's reservations last minute. When you are ready to book with us again, please call me directly and I will help you to the best of my abilities. Thank you for staying with us!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Villa Rica
17.8 km away
Hampton Inn Carrollton
Hampton Inn Carrollton
#1 of 9 in Carrollton

Been to Fairfield Plantation? Share your experiences!