“Not up to competitors' standards”

Candlewood Suites Meridian
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Meridian
Las Vegas
“Not up to competitors' standards”
Reviewed 10 January 2012

First the good things: For an executive that leaves the swimsuit at home and isn't sharing a bed with a companion, this should be okay. Pets are ok. There were some nice touches to the property that place it in the Comfort Suites, Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites category.

Before you read my complaints, please understand that I don't just post reviews of poor properties. I have made over 30 reviews and am usually complimentary.

They only have single queens or double full (double) size bed suites and rooms. I am 6'5" and if my wife and I weren't getting along well, sharing a bed with her would be impossible in our 2 double suite. A full size bed is 5" shorter and 6" narrower than a queen. Consider why a hotel would put only doubles in their 2 bed rooms and only queens in their 1 bed rooms...the rooms are tiny. I am most shocked that no one else has mentioned this as I read reviews on Trip Advisor before EVERY stay. The double beds are squeezed into the tightest space possible. Both side walls of the area are so close, I had to touch my face to the wall as I side-stepped between the wall and the bed. The beds are mid grade and not very good also.

The rooms are packed with amenities, but the space of the room suffers badly because of it. There is very little clothing drawer space and I used one of the kitchen drawers for some clothes. There are pots and pans, a full size dishwasher, full size fridge, microwave, toaster, etc.

This is my new pet peeve with hotels. Throw away the CRT (cathode ray-tube) TV's and replace them with flat panels! I just don't understand why they use a TV type that isn't even made anymore.

The continental breakfast was on standard with how they were done 10 years ago: Coffee, juice, milk, 4 kinds of cold cereal, hard boiled eggs, bagels, bread, muffins. Look at what the competitors are doing with hot breakfast, waffles, bacon, sausage, hash browns, scrambled eggs, danish, hot cereal.

No swimming pool, no big deal for me.

No daily housekeeping, although the front desk will take care of requests. I did not know that. No big deal for me. I watched with amusement a dry food spill (crackers) in the main floor hall remain for the entire 3 days we stayed (I own a floor care company) and was never vacuumed or picked up.

I will end with stating that the value was almost above average (affordable), but the corners are cut here and it all makes sense. I won't stay here again with better options for the same cost.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
San Diego, California
Reviewed 18 December 2011

This was my third stay in this hotel, and it was very good. I like the way they treat their guests and for the price and category, I don't think you can find anything better.
I usaully stay 2-3 nights so I really don't use the kitchen that much, but it seems to be very well equipped. The only reason I didn't give an "Excellent" rating is because my room had only coffe but not tea offered in the room and the bathroom didn't have any body location, just soap and shampoo; of course, I know this is nit-picking, but other than that eeverything else was great.

Room Tip: Hotel gets busy sometimes and full of families with kids and even dogs. You may want to stay away fr...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
Payette, Idaho
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Although the Candlewood Suites Meridian is only 45 minutes away from my home, I like to stay there when I just need to get away, but not too far away. It's the perfect place to stay because it's close to all the shopping and dining in Boise, without all the hassle of staying at a downtown hotel. The rooms are very well appointed and I especially love the bed because it's one of the few hotels I can stay in where I do get a good night's sleep. I especially enjoyed the free continental breakfast and appreciated not having to leave the hotel to get a bite to eat first thing in the morning. The property is very clean and well maintained and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to friends and family. Great job Candlewood Suites Meridian and thanks to your excellent staff for such a great stay!

Room Tip: All the rooms are excellent.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled solo
United States
Reviewed 13 October 2011

I regularly travel for business, and generally stay at the Homewood Suites. As the Candlewood was within walking distance of where I was working while I was in Boise, I opted to give it a try.

I was impressed by how friendly the desk staff was, the rooms are nice, the location is great.
Business center has a printer which is available 8am-10pm, indoor jacuzzi pool, nice gym, barbecue facilities too.

I may never stay at the Homewood again!

Room Tip: The hotel is far enough from any major highway that all rooms are quiet. Maybe pick east or west d...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Washington
Reviewed 13 September 2011

We stayed one night at the Candlewood Suites in Meridian, Idaho near Boise. It was located in a quiet area. The room was great! It had a kitchen; large desk/eating area; sofa, chair, and tv living area; and a separate bedroom with another tv; as well as a spacious bathroom. The staff was courteous and friendly, the room was clean, and had a nice breakfast included. It is also pet friendly which was appreciated. We recommend this property highly and will stay here again!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Erie, Colorado
Reviewed 9 September 2011

This was my first time staying at a Candlewood and I must say I and my family were VERY impressed. The room was immaculate. The service was fantastic. They upgraded us to a bigger room since I am a Priority Club Member with no charge. The whirlpool was a very welcome surprise.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
Alajuela, Costa Rica
Reviewed 19 August 2011

I stayed here for 4 weeks in a standard room, I has all that you can need even if you want to make your own food. They serve continental breakfasts til 9.30 am which was good for me.

The service on the front desk is amazing, always (24 hours) a person there ready to help you very friendly.

It has a grocery room where you can get essential personal things of essential food and is open 24 hours, the same apply for the jacuzzi and the GYM.

Fist time in a Candlewood hotel, so next trip to US I will look fist is there one near.

Thanks !