“What the F?”

Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed April 5, 2018

I have been to this restaurant at least a half dozen times in the past one year and I tire of the hostess/owner attitude. She is not friendly, rarely smiles, and does her best to NOT accommodate guests. There is no acknowledgement of REGULAR patrons whom she should recognize! Another in my party has spent many thousands of dollars at the restaurant, received the same unfamiliar welcome. Not "Hi, nice to see you back" or even a smile. One gets the feeling "your going to do things my way or no way" from her. Please get some personality and recognize customers who regularly support you.

I asked for a table near the fireplace and was told they were reserved. However, as the two fireside tables were seated it did not appear that they were reserved with the hostess asking "is this alright?"

The drinks were not good and at times took 15 minutes or more to get them! A first round of 4 cocktails came out in 3 trips over a period of 10 minutes. A second round of a Bloody Mary came without the garnish of asparagus and celery as the first round had. When I asked the bartender, I was told he was out, but he would go look-that was the end of it. Another drink I ordered never came until I asked for it again. I don't understand this as I KNOW the profit margin on alcohol is at least double that of food! Get those drinks out fast and often.The waiter was excellent, but appeared to be unable to get drinks to the table.

The food is fine, in particular the crab bisque, warm goat cheese, filet, and clams. The beet salad dose not work at all and I was unable to eat it. I tried the beet salad to find the beets bland and dry; the calamata olives and dressing absolutely do not marry well. This being said, it is time to revamp the menu, which has been the same for a loooong time.

Date of visit: April 2018

Reviewed March 27, 2018 via mobile

Loved the delightful atmosphere, & outstanding service. We also enjoyed our drinks, meal (Kobe burger, salad & salmon dish). Of course the best was the peanut butter mousse.

Date of visit: March 2018
Reviewed January 23, 2018 via mobile

If it's available, have the duck. A warming rabbit stew was also a favorite the night we dined there most recently. Never had anything that wasn't fabulous.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed November 10, 2017

Good menu, well prepared food, nice wine selection, great staff, and a stunning location next to the water. Now that it is winter, you can enjoy a tamarack wood fire in an incredible stone fireplace.

I can highly recommend this restaurant. I base that on years of patronage with about 30 to 35 visit a year. Creates the perfect, cozy atmosphere.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed October 11, 2017 via mobile

Fourth One South is on a par with Baxter's for the title of Sandpoint' s finest restaurant. The service is very good, as are the entrees which feature seafood, beef, pork, lamb and chicken. The bbq ribs are a specialty, as is the lamb when available. The desserts are also great, particularly the "brownie."

Craft beer and a well chosen wine list.

Date of visit: October 2017

Been to Forty One South? Share your experiences!